Old Hoss Radbourn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Hoss Radbourn

they sure don't make them like him anymore.

As a starting pitcher for the Providence Grays (1881-1885), Boston Beaneaters (1886-1889), Boston Reds (1890) and Cincinnati Reds (1891), Radbourn compiled a 309-195 career record. In 1884 he won the National League's pitching Triple Crown with a 1.38 ERA, 60 wins and 441 strikeouts. His 60 wins in a season (or 59, according to some sources; see note) is a record which is expected never to be broken. Also, his 678⅔ innings pitched in 1884 stands at 2nd all-time, behind only Will White (680), for single-season. It, too, is a record that will most likely never be touched. It was made possible by the mid-season expulsion of the Grays' other main pitcher, Charlie Sweeney.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Radbourn

I first heard about him when I read a book by that Angell guy. We were talking about the origin of giving the finger today and I looked it up and Old Hoss was linked in wiki because he gave the finger during a team photo.
    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

I hope the Cardinals can win as many as Old Hoss Radbourn.

Comment

Gotta love 19th century baseball. The Cardinals won four pennants in a row--when they were the Browns, and playing in the American Association. The first ever perfect game included a 9-3 putout. The 1899 Cleveland Spiders went 20-134.
      Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
        Gotta love 19th century baseball. The Cardinals won four pennants in a row--when they were the Browns, and playing in the American Association. The first ever perfect game included a 9-3 putout. The 1899 Cleveland Spiders went 20-134.
        Was that Spiders team the one where a guy basically owned two teams and gave all his good players to one of them? Cool tactic.

I once threw a guy out from RF in a high school game. Laser, rocket arm.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
          Was that Spiders team the one where a guy basically owned two teams and gave all his good players to one of them? Cool tactic.
          Yes, and that team that got all the good players was the Cardinals ("Browns").

More here. When you acquire Cy Young and give up a left-handed catcher, you are doing well.

Comment

His 60 wins in a season is a record that's not expected to ever be broken.

Well no shit.
            RIP Dave

Comment

I once threw a guy out from RF in a high school game. Laser, rocket arm.
              I once threw a softball from Kirkwood to I-64 on a throw to third...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Yes, and that team that got all the good players was the Cardinals ("Browns").

More here. When you acquire Cy Young and give up a left-handed catcher, you are doing well.
                Ha. Guess that's why it sounded familiar.

Hey, a LH catcher* once hit a HR in eight consecutive games...it'll happen again someday.

*Not really, but sort of.
                Last edited by backstop; 03-07-2008, 03:27 PM.

Comment

The first ever perfect game included a 9-3 putout.
                  And played in Worcester

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                    I once threw a softball from Kirkwood to I-64 on a throw to third...
                    You must harness this ability. With great power comes great responsibility.

Comment

You must harness this ability. With great power comes great responsibility.
                      Thanks Ben Parker...

Comment

You know what's even more interesting than Jack Clements' 17-year, 1,073-game career as a big-league catcher who threw left-handed, said career being over three times longer than the next-longest lefty catcher?

The action photo on Clements' card.

Comment

Some "Hoss":

Charles Gardner Radbourn (Old Hoss)
                          • Height 5' 9", Weight 168 lb.
                          Official sponsor of indifference towards basketball...hockey has grown on me.
                          Official sponsor of Buster Posey...'nuff said.
                          Official sponsor of James Laurinaitis
                          "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live - too rare to die."

Comment

That's a nice pic, but catchers have been wearing gloves since the 1870s...

Comment

Lies!

Comment

Working...
                              X