Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dusty

It's really good to have him back.

DUSTY WANTS REDS TO GO DOWN SWINGING (11:42 a.m. ET)

Dusty Baker says the game's current emphasis on on-base percentage is taking away from something else hitters need to do: swing the bat.

"A lot of this on-base percentage is taking away the aggressiveness of some young kids," he said, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. "Most of the time you've got to put handcuffs on a young guy to keep him from swinging. [The young players are] playing good, real good. I'd like to see them more aggressive."

"I really, really hate the called third strike. I hate that. You're guessing and you ain't ready to hit."

The topic came up when Baker was discussing his desire to see Joey Votto, who has twice led his minor-league teams in walks, get more aggressive at the plate. Baker says the same goes for Adam Dunn, too.

"He doesn't have to tell me," Dunn said, according to the report. "I know I [need to be aggressive]. It's hard for me to swing at that first pitch. But that may be the best one I get."

Votto is getting the message, too. "I am an aggressive hitter," he said, according to the Enquirer. "It just took me a little bit of time, a few at-bats, to get comfortable up there. And it just takes me a little longer to get my timing down, to get my swing ready to go. I'm not one of the guys who can just pick up and hammer fastballs. It takes me a little while."
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/blog/i...pring_training

I continue to laugh at how Baker keeps find managing jobs in the major leagues.
    Official Lounge Sponsor
    Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

You don't want all those walks clogging up the bases.
      RIP Dave

Comment

You guys just don't understand genuis.

An out recorded by swinging the bat is a lot better than a walk.
        Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
        God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Sweet.

Looking forward to a full year of Dusty bashing - I hear it's quite fun.

Comment

I hope Votto is looking forward to having Hee Seop Choi's career.

Comment

Originally posted by bcruise View Post
              Sweet.

Looking forward to a full year of Dusty bashing - I hear it's quite fun.
              Can't wait for him to try and intimidate Lou -

Call the cops now.
              Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
              God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

does he think Billy Beane wrote "Moneyball" too?
                Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

Isn't Dusty's first year with a team his 'good' one? The Reds will win 82-84 games (He gets one good year out of the meat grinder) and his old media pals will make a strong push for Manager of Year.

Book it
                  Sketch in STL
                  Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
                    I hope Votto is looking forward to having Hee Seop Choi's career.
                    My dynasty teams weeps.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor:
                    Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                    The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                    Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

I would love to see Dusty and Lou in a shouting match on the field....that would be awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Brummerball View Post
                        You don't want all those walks clogging up the bases.
                        You can't make this stuff up:

Not down with OBP: Baker has repeatedly talked about the desire to have a do-it-all leadoff hitter with speed. What kinds of hitters is he looking for further down the lineup? Does he want guys with lofty on-base percentages? The answer will likely not sit well with fans of the book "Moneyball," because Baker said he believes the OBP statistic is overvalued.

"I'm big on driving in runs and scoring runs," Baker said. "Guys in the middle should score about close to equal to what they drive in. On-base percentage, that's fine and dandy. But a lot of times guys get so much into on-base percentage that they cease to swing. It's becoming a little bit out of control.

"What you do is run the pitcher's count up, that helps," Baker said. "You put him in the stretch, that helps. But your job in the middle is to either score them or drive them in. The name of the game is scoring runs. Sometimes, you get so caught up in on-base percentage that you're clogging up the bases."
                        It's real!

Comment

I think it would be funny is LaRussa outlasted Dusty twice in the central.

Comment

I'm looking forward to NL Central baseball this season.

Sure the teams will be mediocre, but with managers like La Russa, Baker, Piniella and with Yost showing his ability to meltdown last year, it's definitely going to be a fun one.

I have no idea about the Pirates new manager. Hopefully, he's got the red ass, too.
                            RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                            You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
                              You can't make this stuff up:

It's real!
                              Awesome

But your job in the middle is to either score them or drive them in. The name of the game is scoring runs. Sometimes, you get so caught up in on-base percentage that you're clogging up the bases."
                              Dateline July 22, 2011

Tonight on Baseball Tonight, ex-manager and baseball philosopher Dusty Baker explains how to score runs without baserunners.....
                              Sketch in STL
                              Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Working...
                              X