Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the best candidate for Catholics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the best candidate for Catholics?

The mention of Catholics going for Hillary buried in the "Obama is a Muslim" thread got me thinking. I am Roman Catholic, and have never considered for a moment voting for Hillary. I think it's largely personal: I can't stand the woman.

That doesn't necessarily make her a bad candidate for Catholics to throw their support behind. So, I present to you a summary of the main ideas of Catholic Social Teaching. Assuming that Catholics should vote for someone who can make these ideas happen, who would you recommend?

Defend you choice with links as appropriate.

Quotes are taken from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Themes of Catholic Social Teaching.

Here is the summary:

1) Life and dignity of the human person
    Covers abortion, euthanasia, cloning, embryonic stem cell research, and the death penaly. Also advocates avoidance of unjust war.

2) Call to family, community, and participation
    Emphasizes the importance of marriage and family, and the person's "right and duty" to participate to participate in society for the greater good.

3) Right and responsibility
    Every person has a right to life and a right to those things required for human decency. Every person has the responsibility to promote those things for all.

4) Option for the Poor and Vulnerable (sometimes called preference for the poor)
    Test society by its treatment of its weakest members. Put the needs of the poor and vulnerable first.

5) Dignity of work and rights or workers
    We work so that the economy serves us--we do not serve the economy. Work is a way to make a living, but more importantly to participate in God's creation. If the dignity of work is to be maintained, then the rights of workers must be respected--specifically, "the right to productive work, to decent and fair wages, to the organization and joining of unions, to private property, and to economic initiative."

a whole lot of two party conflict there, eh? Also, lately this has focused a lot on the rights of migrant workers and the living wage debate.

6) Solidarity
    We are one human family. Love your neighbor, locally and globally.

7) Care for God's creation
    "We show our respect for the Creator by our stewardship of creation. Care for the earth is not just an Earth Day slogan, it is a requirement of our faith. We are called to protect people and the planet, living our faith in relationship with all of God’s creation. This environmental challenge has fundamental moral and ethical dimensions that cannot be ignored."

Truth be told, I do my best to follow these teachings but sometimes quibble with the details (which I suppose makes me a cafeteria Catholic Social Teaching Follower ) . A good example of this, to me, is automobile unions. Do I support the right of the UAW to bargain collectively for its employees? Yes. Do I support the right of the UAW to screw management and employees alike in a variety of ways, because it can? No. (Please don't turn this into a union debate--I'm more interested in the applications of CST to American politics than unions)

So, who is the best candidate according to Catholic Social Teaching? I'm curious to see what you all think.
    "It would have been difficult for us to discuss it with his dick in my mouth, so evidently I don't know him that well."

Interesting, I never knew Jesus lobbied for the ability to unionize.
    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

As a Catholic.....I don't put too much stock into voting for whoever is right according to my religion. I just want the best MAN for the job....

Comment

I should point out that I've got a pretty clear idea of who I support (and it's clearly NOT Hillary ) but I'm open for reconsideration if worthy evidence is supported. Mostly I want to present Catholics as a complex group of voters--not a unified bloc that just goes to one candidate because we're told to--and have some discussion.

I wouldn't let the Lounge pick out my sweater, much less make my voting decisions.
        "It would have been difficult for us to discuss it with his dick in my mouth, so evidently I don't know him that well."

Comment

I'm voting for jhuegy.
          If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

As a "christian" I don't know who to vote for in this election. I don't see Obama, Clinton or McCain as standing for the things that I believe in. I wish we could have a non of the above candidate.

Comment

What about a bunch of your priests liking boys?
              *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Arch Bishop Burke.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic View Post
                  Arch Bishop Burke.
                  Can you imagine him on the campaign trail?

Comment

Originally posted by AWSmith98 View Post
                    As a "christian" I don't know who to vote for in this election. I don't see Obama, Clinton or McCain as standing for the things that I believe in. I wish we could have a non of the above candidate.
                    ++

I see McCain as the slightly lesser of three evils.
                    Former 2017 OFFICIAL SPONSOR of Braves' Fill-In Matt Adams,
                    Jesus is . . .

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab View Post
                      What about a bunch of your priests liking boys?
                      Huh. I had the over/under at 5.

Slacker.

Comment

1- Break out your moral compass.

2- Decide which candidate would be best for your family, country and humanity.

3- Pull the lever.
                        "I am for truth no matter who says it. I am for justice no matter who it is for or against."...Malcom X

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                          1- Break out your moral compass.
                          Sharing The Kev amongst all of us is going to be a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
                            Sharing The Kev amongst all of us is going to be a pain.
                            If you don't have your own internal "moral compass" you are indeed a lost cause.
                            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                              If you don't have your own internal "moral compass" you are indeed a lost cause.
                              Why would I need one when I have you, schmoopie?

Comment

Working...
                              X