Wainright in Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wainright in Trouble

When thinks you're in for a breakout year...

The restoration of Adam Wainwright to his rightful role as a starter had a rocky beginning, and on June 1, 2007, his ERA stood at 5.59. A reliever moving into the rotation has to learn (or relearn) how to pace himself over 100-odd pitches. He also has to change his approach to allow him to retire the same hitter multiple times and, in the case of a pitcher with an out-pitch breaking ball like Wainwright's, to avoid a situation in which he is overusing his secondary stuff.

Wainwright improved in both areas as the season went on, showing better ability to work off his fastball, keeping that hammer curve and his above-average changeup as potential out pitches. Look for Wainwright to step up as a solid No. 2 starter for the Cardinals this year. The one warning sign is that Wainwright's workload increased dramatically from 2006 (75 innings in relief) to 2007 (202 innings as a starter), and many pitchers suffer fatigue or injury after large jumps in their innings thrown.
    Edit: crap...good spelling in the title ...mod, anyone, help a brother out
    Sketch in STL
    Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

I think Wainright had the 2nd lowest NL ERA after the All Star break.

He could be VERY good this year...and some people thought he couldn't be a starter. LOL.

Too bad Mulder and Carpenter are hurt. If they were at their peak...I'd like this team a whole lot better.
    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

i'll admit.......i didn't think he'd be a good starter. look at his minor league numbers. there was nothing to support him being as good as he was last year.
      Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Originally posted by TTB View Post
        I think Wainright had the 2nd lowest NL ERA after the All Star break.

He could be VERY good this year...and some people thought he couldn't be a starter. LOL.

Too bad Mulder and Carpenter are hurt. If they were at their peak...I'd like this team a whole lot better.
        People sometimes forget how much not having those two hurts right now. This team prob wins the division with a healthy Carp, Mulder and Wainwright.
        Official Lounge Sponsor
        Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post
          People sometimes forget how much not having those two hurts right now. This team prob wins the division with a healthy Carp, Mulder and Wainwright.
          I don't disagree with that one bit. It pains me to think about it, really.
          --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
          --Suck it cubbies.
          --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigJOE View Post
            i'll admit.......i didn't think he'd be a good starter. look at his minor league numbers. there was nothing to support him being as good as he was last year.
            Proof that those just don't mean a whole lot. I'm not sure who all wanted to keep him the closer, but I was big on him being a starter. They are so much more valuable... you have to give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post

Pineiro as a 4th/5th starter sure is a lot better than a #2 (sigh). Really is no viable scenario where they are good this year.
              Sketch in STL
              Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Originally posted by F the Cubs View Post
                I don't disagree with that one bit. It pains me to think about it, really.
                I don't see them winning the division with those two healthy anyway. Let's not over rate Wainwright here, he still has a lot to prove. Mulder coming off injuries isn't that much of a confidence boost either. If they were healthy and could pitch to their potential then maybe I feel as confident as you guys, but this lineup is going to stink.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsOnlyTheRiver View Post
                  I don't see them winning the division with those two healthy anyway. Let's not over rate Wainwright here, he still has a lot to prove. Mulder coming off injuries isn't that much of a confidence boost either. If they were healthy and could pitch to their potential then maybe I feel as confident as you guys, but this lineup is going to stink.
                  You give me Cy Carp, Mulder in his first year as a Card (or his last couple in Oakland), and Wainwright from the second half of last season, and we're the best team in the division. We obviously don't have them and we'll finish 4th. Wainwright as a #2 or #3 is much better looking than as a #1. There's a lot of pressure on the lad, but he's handled it well before. I think he performs well this season. ERA under 4 and around 15 wins.
                  --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                  --Suck it cubbies.
                  --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

I don't agree with this concept. Hope I'm wrong and you guys are right.
                    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Working...
                    X