Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Dems be headed to a joint ticket? Hillary thinks so.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Dems be headed to a joint ticket? Hillary thinks so.

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket
    Posted: 10:02 AM ET
    Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them — or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

No way.
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

MERGE
      Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
      Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
      There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
      "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
      "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

If I get any more joint tickets, I'm going to the big joint.
        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

If she winds up as his VP, she'll have him whacked.

Comment

Why in the hell would Obama want her on his ticket?

She only hurts his chances with her negatives.

She benefits greatly by having him on her's.
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB View Post

Well her concern is one that I have repeatedly voiced.

If she goes into the convention as #2 in delegates, #2 in votes, and #2 in states, and she emerges from the convention with the nomination, without Obama on the ticket, the sound and fury from the black community will destroy her chances in the general - as that antipathy will crush her chances in Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, will crush Democrats in state races, and destroy Democrats in Congressional races - for instance Mary Landrieu can kiss her seat goodbye in such a scenario.

Clinton is not talking about her being VP. It's all about Obama being her VP, so her hubris does not tear apart the party.
              From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

++
                Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

I don't think that Mrs. Clinton could handle being number 2 on the ticket. As ppg shg pointed out, if there is the perception that she did something untoward to get the top spot, the Democrats are toast in November.

Now as a conservative, I would love it because at least we would have a conservative Congress if not the White House.
                  Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome..... The only way to live.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks View Post
                    ++
                    What? I thought you loved Hilldog.
                    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalier79 View Post
                      I don't think that Mrs. Clinton could handle being number 2 on the ticket. As ppg shg pointed out, if there is the perception that she did something untoward to get the top spot, the Democrats are toast in November.

Now as a conservative, I would love it because at least we would have a conservative Congress if not the White House.
                      I think its gonna be another bad year for the Rs in Congress regardless of who is at the top of the Dem ticket. The best we can hope for is too keep the WH and not allow them to get veto proof majority. Sad...but that's how I'm reading the tea leaves.
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by ppg shg View Post
                        Well her concern is one that I have repeatedly voiced.

If she goes into the convention as #2 in delegates, #2 in votes, and #2 in states, and she emerges from the convention with the nomination, without Obama on the ticket, the sound and fury from the black community will destroy her chances in the general - as that antipathy will crush her chances in Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, will crush Democrats in state races, and destroy Democrats in Congressional races - for instance Mary Landrieu can kiss her seat goodbye in such a scenario.

Clinton is not talking about her being VP. It's all about Obama being her VP, so her hubris does not tear apart the party.
                        Yes, having him as her #2 would help to mitigate that. Do you think he would do it?
                        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazlaz View Post
                          MERGE
                          Good idea.
                          Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Presumptive Republican presidential nominee John McCain trails Democrats Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama in hypothetical matchups, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll released on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Sen. Obama leads McCain by 12 percentage points -- 52 percent to 40 percent; New York Sen. Clinton leads McCain by 6 points -- 50 percent to 44 percent, the poll found.

McCain, an Arizona senator, has turned his attention to the November 4 general election after clinching his party's nomination on Tuesday night. Clinton and Obama are still locked in a close battle for the Democratic nomination.
                            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Good assessment.
                              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X