2008 Champions League Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Champions League Thread

Now that the 2d leg of the quarters is upon us, time to crank up a thread for the few of us that care about the Champions League.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008
    TIMEHome AwaySTAGEVENUE
    14:45 ET AC Milan v Arsenal Round of 16 Giuseppe Meazza
    14:45 ET Barcelona v Celtic Round of 16 Camp Nou
    14:45 ET Sevilla FC v Fenerbahce Round of 16 Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan
    14:45 ET Man Utd v Lyon Round of 16 Old Trafford
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008
    TIMEHome AwaySTAGEVENUE
    14:45 ET FC Porto v Schalke 04 Round of 16 Estadio do Dragao
    14:45 ET Real Madrid v Roma Round of 16 Santiago Bernabeu
    14:45 ET Chelsea v Olympiacos Round of 16 Stamford Bridge
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008
    TIMEHome AwaySTAGEVENUE
    15:45 ET Inter Milan v Liverpool Round of 16 San Siro

Celtic either need to win away at Barca by 2, or by a score of 4-3.
    Advancing would be miraculous.

Liverpool are 2 goals up on Inter. Rafa will employ the 4-5-1 with three defenders hanging from the goalposts. Hopefully this game will bore the neutral.
    Former 2017 OFFICIAL SPONSOR of Braves' Fill-In Matt Adams,
    Jesus is . . .

Comment

Originally posted by 210 View Post

But you still have:

Jesus is . . .

Comment

I just noticed my Gunners' cap is missing...I wonder where I left it.

Comment

Hey Drobny, are you a part of the Sons of Shankly group that opposes American ownership of Liverpool?
          RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
          You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

YNWA

I'd love to see the teams from GB and Schalke advance.

Comment

Originally posted by 210 View Post
              ++

Comment

Celtic have very little chance to advance. But remember our glorious run to the UEFA Cup Finals (where a cheating Porto team led by The Chosen One dove it's way to a win) when we held Barca scoreless in the Nou Camp w/ a teenager in goal. When Ghod is your biggest supporter anything can happen.

Also, I love watching Liverpool advance in the CL and everyone scream because they can't get past Everton in the EPL.

Comment

Originally posted by JWB View Post
                  Hey Drobny, are you a part of the Sons of Shankly group that opposes American ownership of Liverpool?
                  I'm not a card carrying member, but they have some points:

1. Hicks and Gillett's "hypothetical conversations" with Klinsmann was really, really stupid. Rafa Benitez did not deserve that.

2. H&G hurt Rafa's position in the lead up to the January transfer window by threatening to withhold funds and allowing the Klinsmann thing to break.

3. H&G shouldn't have bought the team to begin with. These billionaires had to refinance, and they allowed this to poison the community. Big mistake.

That said, they gave Rafa some $$$$ to get Fernando Torres last summer. There will be a new stadium which will honor the Kop; hopefully the profits there will be turned back into the team. They signed Javier Mascherano (where would we be without him), they haven't forced a firesale of Peter Crouch, they paid the fee on Martin Skrtel (of course they sold Momo Sissoko too -- a good move -- Momo can't pass).

So I'm on the fence.

I want whatever will make us competitive for a title challenge.
                  Jesus is . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic View Post
                    Celtic have very little chance to advance. But remember our glorious run to the UEFA Cup Finals (where a cheating Porto team led by The Chosen One dove it's way to a win) when we held Barca scoreless in the Nou Camp w/ a teenager in goal. When Ghod is your biggest supporter anything can happen.

Also, I love watching Liverpool advance in the CL and everyone scream because they can't get past Everton in the EPL.
                    Wouldn't it be a terrific story if Celtic managed a 2-0 win? Barca ends up getting carded left and right for diving? Here's hoping.

Liverpool's chase for 4th begins tomorrow -- we finally play the game-in-hand at West Ham. If we win, and that's a big IF, we are level with Everton in points, then vault ahead to 4th via goal differential (courtesy of Liverpool 8 - 0 Derby County). From then on it's Newcastle at Anfield, then to come matches at Old Trafford and the Emirates and home to Everton. A win over the Hammers and it's on.
                    Jesus is . . .

Comment

Originally posted by drobny23 View Post

1. Hicks and Gillett's "hypothetical conversations" with Klinsmann was really, really stupid. Rafa Benitez did not deserve that.

2. H&G hurt Rafa's position in the lead up to the January transfer window by threatening to withhold funds and allowing the Klinsmann thing to break.

3. H&G shouldn't have bought the team to begin with. These billionaires had to refinance, and they allowed this to poison the community. Big mistake.

That said, they gave Rafa some $$$$ to get Fernando Torres last summer. There will be a new stadium which will honor the Kop; hopefully the profits there will be turned back into the team. They signed Javier Mascherano (where would we be without him), they haven't forced a firesale of Peter Crouch, they paid the fee on Martin Skrtel (of course they sold Momo Sissoko too -- a good move -- Momo can't pass).

So I'm on the fence.

I think H&G will sell the team to that Dubai group. Probably their best opportunity to get out with some profits intact.

Too bad Liverpool couldn't go the way of Barcelona.. a fan-owned franchise would be great for them.

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo View Post
                        I think H&G will sell the team to that Dubai group. Probably their best opportunity to get out with some profits intact.

Too bad Liverpool couldn't go the way of Barcelona.. a fan-owned franchise would be great for them.
                        I might be OK with the sale to DIC, but that's another group I don't trust. They're a conglomerate! Thing is, looks like Gillett wants to sell his share, but Hicks is on the record saying he does not want to sell and he can stop Gillett from selling out to DIC.

The Kop has come up with, shall we say, "creative" ways to express their desire for DIC (Dubai International Conglomerate).
                        Jesus is . . .

Comment

Wouldn't it be a terrific story if Celtic managed a 2-0 win? Barca ends up getting carded left and right for diving? Here's hoping.
                          I'm sure you would hear my cheering in Nashville. Listen, I'm happy to be where we are. That extra 10 million means the world to a club like Celtic. Until the start of the new Euro Super League we'll never have the money that the other huge clubs get.

I am shutting down the intrawebS at 1p because ESPNU is showing the Celtic game at 4p. At least one of the sports leader's channels has it right.

Comment

So I'm on the fence.

Thanks for the response, but honestly, I really don't care.

I just love seeing a bunch snaggletooth Brits pissing their pants because evil Americans own their little soccer team.
                            RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                            You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by JWB View Post
                              Thanks for the response, but honestly, I really don't care.

I just love seeing a bunch snaggletooth Brits pissing their pants because evil Americans own their little soccer team.
                              A good analogy would be the St. Louis Cardinals. Both Liverpool and the Cardinals have a storied past, tons of championships, and at one time were the best in the league without question. Until 2006, both had about a 20 year drought from championships. Both have locally controversial but nationally revered managers. Neither team is obscenely wealthy, but both get great players (LFC is relatively wealthier). Both towns aren't in a major media market, but it its own market, they are Kings. Both are heavily involved with Beer (AB and Carlsberg). Give me another cup of coffee and I might think up more similarities.

Now imagine the Cardinals were bought by Englishmen. They live in England. They admit they don't know much about baseball. They grew up watching cricket. Then they threaten to fire the manager. They interfere with the GM's trade talks and delay the new stadium. They entertain takeover bids. One owner sends his English son to babysit the GM. They leak that they've talked with Cito Gaston about being the next manager.

You'd be upset too.
                              Jesus is . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X