Clear All

• 49ers sign Isaac Bruce

49ers agree to deal with WR Bruce

PA SportsTicker
    Published: Sunday, March 02, 2008
    Isaac Bruce
    Getty Images

Share This Story

Released by the St Louis Rams Thursday, wide receiver Isaac Bruce apparently has found a new home.
    The four-time Pro Bowler has agreed to a two-year, $6 million contract with the San Francisco 49ers, according to a report on the San Jose Mercury News' web site.
    A 49ers spokesman told the newspaper no deal was official and no contract had been signed, but several news outlets confirmed the agreement shortly after the NFL Network broke the news late Friday.
    Bruce, 35, has spent his entire 14-year career with the Rams, recording 942 catches for 14,109 yards and 84 touchdowns - all franchise records.
    A 1994 second-round pick, Bruce currently is sixth on the NFL's all-time list for receptions and third in total yardage behind Jerry Rice and Tim Brown.
    Last season, Bruce had 55 catches for 733 yards and four touchdowns as St. Louis struggled through a myriad of injuries to finish with a 3-13 mark.

Sucks.

I thought Seattle would have been a better fit.

Comment

Wow that will be cool seeing him and Martz come to town.
      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

not surprised.

Will Rice loan him the 80?

Comment

Can we agree we need another WR now?
          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB View Post
            Can we agree we need another WR now?
            The Rams need another everything about right now.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

sweet he may not be able to burn anymore, but he can get open and has excellent hands.
              Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

For everyone who wants to bitch at the Rams FO about this, note that he's getting paid the same amount that he would be getting from St. Louis. He wanted out (and probably did the moment they signed Bennett). I don't blame him, but I'm a little tired of some Rams fans acting like this move makes the front office idiots. They're idiots for other reasons, but not this one.
                On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy View Post
                  For everyone who wants to bitch at the Rams FO about this, note that he's getting paid the same amount that he would be getting from St. Louis. He wanted out (and probably did the moment they signed Bennett). I don't blame him, but I'm a little tired of some Rams fans acting like this move makes the front office idiots. They're idiots for other reasons, but not this one.
                  Per ESPN -

Between bonuses and base salary, Bennett will pocket $9.5 million in 2007. He will earn $13 million in the first two years of the contract and $21 million over the first four seasons of the deal.

I would have left too - 9.5 million for 2007 - that's the worst contract in Rams history.
                  Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                  God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

While on the surface I dont have a problem with the Rams cutting Ike, the problem I see is that who is out there that you could sign for what he is making that will be as productive?

Ike isn't the burner that he once was, but I dont see any viable FA replacements. He would have been good for 50-60 receptions as a #3 receiver. All of this is assuming Bennett will step up and be the #2 guy the Rams hoped they were getting last year.
                    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
                      Per ESPN -

Between bonuses and base salary, Bennett will pocket $9.5 million in 2007. He will earn $13 million in the first two years of the contract and $21 million over the first four seasons of the deal.

I would have left too - 9.5 million for 2007 - that's the worst contract in Rams history.
                      Maybe, just maybe he will turn it around this year. We can still hope can't we?

Comment

No. Bennett sucks ass.
                        His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                        Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Here is the problem - as I see it with the rams. It has more to do with Justin Smith than Issac.

Sign some freaking defensive players first.
                          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

How can anyone evaluate Bennett in this offense? He was a very good receiver for the Titans. He comes here and is unproductive. So, the conclusion is that it's his fault? After all the crap about Linehan's horrible offensive schemes and play calling, doesn't it make more sense to lay it on the coach rather than the guy who has been productive his entire career until he showed up here?

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
                              How can anyone evaluate Bennett in this offense? He was a very good receiver for the Titans. He comes here and is unproductive. So, the conclusion is that it's his fault? After all the crap about Linehan's horrible offensive schemes and play calling, doesn't it make more sense to lay it on the coach rather than the guy who has been productive his entire career until he showed up here?

Moon
                              I agree 100%

IMO, he (Bennett) was not utilized in the best way for him to perform. He's better when the ball is thrown high, so that he can use his height and jumping ability.
                              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Working...
                              X