X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Marquis: Start me or trade me

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotr...s-to-cubs.html

Marquis: Start me or trade me

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Jason Marquis wants to be a starter in Chicago, but he'd just as soon move on if he's sent to the bullpen this spring.

Marquis, who is fighting for a rotation spot with Jon Lieber, allowed two runs on three hits in two innings against the Los Angeles Angels on Saturday. Afterward, Marquis spoke his mind for the first time in public about his uncertain status on the team, letting it be known he's not willing to be moved to the bullpen at this stage of his career.

"I love Chicago," Marquis said. "I definitely want to stay here. This is the place I want to be. I signed here for a reason. But I also signed as a starter, and I think that's where I help the team the most. Obviously we'll see what happens when it's time for [the Cubs] to make their decision.

"So as much as I want to be here in Chicago -- I love it, I love the fans, I love the stadium -- I also have a family to worry about, too. I think I can take my services elsewhere if that's the case and I can help another team, in that capacity as a starter.

"So, my value doesn't lie in the bullpen in my mind."

Manager Lou Piniella has never said Marquis would go to the bullpen if he didn't make the rotation, but the Cubs would have no other option if they couldn't trade him.

Marquis is due $16.25 million for the '08 and '09 seasons in his three-year, $21 million deal. Boston scout Keith Champion was at Saturday's game and it's known that the Cubs are interested in Red Sox centerfielder Coco Crisp, who is due $11 million in '08 and '09, including a $500,000 buyout of his '09 option.

Asked when was the last time he had to fight for a spot in the rotation, Marquis said: "I don't look at it that way. Like I've said all along, I'm out there battling the hitters, trying to get better day by day, and if they don't want me here in the rotation here in Chicago, we'll go from there. So, we'll see what happens."

Marquis was then asked if he'd specifically ask for a trade if he lost out to Lieber and Ryan Dempster, who appears to have the No. 3 spot sewn up.

"We'll cross that path when it comes, obviously," he said. "I've got to take the ball whenever they give it to me and get guys out."

Marquis, 29, said the last time he was in the bullpen was when he was 21 or 22.

"But that was just getting my feet wet, just getting adjusted to the big leagues," he said. "That's what it came down to to get me ready to start in the big leagues."

Marquis' tone was much different than in past interviews, perhaps stemming from a perceived lack of support from Cubs management. Addressing his tendency to slide in the second halves of seasons, Marquis said he's spoken to pitching coach Larry Rothschild and has been working to correct the problems.

"Obviously, I take the criticism from the people who have been through it and know what I need to work on," he said. "I take it in stride and I feel like if I need to get better, I'll work at it. But yeah, we've had some good conversations and we've taken steps in the right direction to fix the problems that they felt was necessary."
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Sweet Lou's response: 'He can go'

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Lou Piniella was in a good mood Saturday afternoon until being informed after a 6-2 loss to the Los Angeles that Jason Marquis told reporters he'd rather go pitch elsewhere if the Cubs don't keep him in the rotation.

Piniella then sent a message to Marquis that will likely reverberate through camp and could lead to Marquis' exit from Chicago.

"Well, if that's the case, he can go somewhere else," Piniella said. "Win a spot in the rotation, you don't have to worry about it. ... I've got seven starters here for five spots, you know? It's a little bit too early to start talking about what he wants to do or not do."

Piniella reiterated he has never talked about using Marquis in the bullpen if he doesn't win a spot.

"I've never said that," Piniella said. "I'm giving him a chance to compete and win a spot in the rotation."

After answering a question about Kerry Wood's performance, Piniella stopped in mid-sentence and began talking about Marquis again.

"You know, that galls me about Marquis, it really does," he said. "I'm not pleased with that comment. We've had a good camp over here, everybody's getting an opportunity. Go out and win a spot in the rotation."

Piniella has not spoken to Marquis about his situation and was caught off guard to hear Marquis was basically giving the Cubs an ultimatum.

"Sure it's a surprise," he said. "We've got seven guys here that are competing for spots in the rotation and everyone is going to be given an equal chance. After the first start of spring training, saying if I'm not going to make the rotation I'd like to go somewhere else?

"He can go somewhere else right now if he wants. How's that?"

Comment

Nice start today btw, Jason.

Comment

Too bad he's burned bridges here.

Comment

Next stop Tampa, Florida. :P
          Time for change

Comment

Originally posted by Zythrst View Post
            Next stop Tampa, Florida. :P

Sweet Lou wouldn't do his old team like that, no?

Comment

Million dollar talent with a ten cent brain.
              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
                Are you nuts? I don't care what our rotation looks like, I do not want him on this team or any other team in the future in St. Louis.

It's not like brining him here would change the complexion of this season.

That's just a bad idea no matter how you look at it, in my opinion.
                Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                  Million dollar talent with a ten cent brain.
                  That's a very long list...

Comment

Ha ha.

Once a douchebag, always a douchebag.

Comment

No matter how much he douches, a sour pussy remains.
                      "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Adam Eaton for Jason Marquis. Get on the phone, Gillick.
                        Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

This is my feel good story of the day. I will probably read it multiple times. Fucking huge bag of douche. How long til he's gone? I'll give it a week. Two tops.
                          --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                          --Suck it cubbies.
                          --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

For the love of god shut up Marquis. We need you in that rotation to help us stay in contention!
                            Official Lounge Sponsor
                            Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
                              I'm glad he did.

Fuck him and the horse he rode out on.

Comment

Working...