This Day in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Day in History

If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

41 years ago today...The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald...

" Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

The Silent Protest in NYC was in response to the East St. Louis riots of 1917.

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/o...164116762.html

Comment

MoDOT St. Louis Area‏ @MoDOT_StLouis Aug 17

It's been 25 years since the flood of '93.

This week in flood history - about 60 roads and bridges across the state remain closed. Some are still underwater while others are undergoing repairs caused by the floodwaters.

Pictured: Route 21 at the Meramec River.

Comment

MoDOT St. Louis Area‏ @MoDOT_StLouis Aug 10

It's been 25 years since the flood of '93.

This week in flood history - rising water once again forces the closure of Route 40 (now known as I-64).

Pictured: flood waters around Route 40 in Chesterfield.

Comment

Did a lot of sandbagging that summer. When 40 flooded in the flats travel from St. Charles to work was a nightmare for the first week or so. No 364 no 370 just I 70. They added a couple of lanes by narrowing existing lanes on 70 and using the shoulders. Workplaces used staggered, flexible schedules and drivers pretty much figured it out after a week or so. Too bad we didn't have the capability to work from home back then.

Comment

i got one of the last Uhaul trucks from that location in Chesterfield before i moved out of town C YA
              Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

I rode my bike to River Des Peres, and watched people sandbag. I didn't help. I did grab a couple cans of water AB sent. Still have one as a souvenir

Comment

my brother and the racing team he worked for came back from a weekend in the southeast and just made it over the Daniel Boone bridge before they shut 61 down.

luckily for me, i lived and worked in wentzville at the time. there used to be a small airport over by the rail yard / GM plant. i worked at the inbound GM rail yard and tons and tons of planes and helicopters were flown in to wentzville to wait out the flood. they were parked everywhere. wish i had taken pictures back then. it was something else.

Comment

50 years ago today: the USSR invaded Czechoslovakia

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...czechoslovakia

Comment

I used to live right behind Affton baseball fields and I remember when Gravois crick flash flooded it and the ice rink. That was pretty crazy. Afterwards there was debris like 10 feet high on the backstops and on top of the dugouts.

Comment

I still can't believe that we upped that levee for 500 million to protect the 100 million dollar tif we gave Stan Kroenke.
                        "Winghaven" Ha! Sounds like somewhere an asshole would live. - 252

Comment

155 years ago...

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...awrence-kansas
                          Make the world a better place, punch a Trumper in the face.

Comment

Oh man, this exact day 17 years ago.

When 9/11 falls on a Tuesday it brings up more emotion in me.
                            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                              Oh man, this exact day 17 years ago.

When 9/11 falls on a Tuesday it brings up more emotion in me.
                              Which year?

Ty
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                              -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Working...
                              X