X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gus is gone.

Rams to release Frerotte

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports

The St. Louis Rams plan to release backup quarterback Gus Frerotte on Thursday, likely ending his 14-year NFL career.
    Frerotte was notified of the team’s intentions Wednesday by Rams coach Scott Linehan, who said the organization had elected not to pay the quarterback a $500,000 roster bonus.
    “I’m a little surprised, but that’s the way it goes in this business,” Frerotte said. “I’ve played 14 years, and that’s a long time. I’m looking forward to spending time with my family.”
    The 36-year-old Frerotte filled in for the injured Marc Bulger on a frequent basis in 2007, making three starts and appearing in eight games. He completed 94 of 167 passes for 1,014 yards, with seven touchdowns and 12 interceptions. His last stint as a regular starter came for the Miami Dolphins in 2005, as Frerotte threw for 2,996 yards and rallied the Dolphins to six consecutive victories at the end of the season. But the Dolphins released him after signing Daunte Culpepper, and he signed with the Rams to play for Linehan, who had been his offensive coordinator in Miami and a prior stint with the Minnesota Vikings.

Selected in the seventh round of the 1994 draft by the Washington Redskins, Frerotte ultimately beat out No. 3 overall pick Heath Shuler, and he was selected to the Pro Bowl after the ‘96 season. He lost his starting job to Trent Green two seasons later and went on to play for six other teams, starting playoff games for the Detroit Lions in the 1999 season and the Denver Broncos the next year.
    Brock Berlin, who started one game for the Rams as a first-year player last season, could be in line to become Bulger’s backup, depending on who else the team acquires in the draft or via free agency or trade.
    Official Lounge Sponsor
    Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Phew, I thought you meant Gus from Gus's Pretzels.
    Official Lounge sponsor of Nick Plummer
    R.I.P. Rdog, davhaf

Comment

Originally posted by Can Of Corn View Post
      Phew, I thought you meant Gus from Gus's Pretzels.
      Or Gus Torregrossa from Gus' Fashions & Shoes...
      . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
      -mike
      mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

He was surprised?
        On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

That just means we're taking a QB with the #2 pick....wait a minute we don't have here anymore, so never mind.

Comment

Perhaps they'll target a QB with their 2nd round pick.

Joe Flacco, here we come!
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Brock Berlin, who started one game for the Rams as a first-year player last season, could be in line to become Bulger’s backup, depending on who else the team acquires in the draft or via free agency or trade.
              That line might scare me more than the notion of Gus coming back.
              Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post
                That line might scare me more than the notion of Gus coming back.
                7TDs, 12INTs.

Can Berlin really be worse than that? And if he was, the Rams would be picking 1st instead of 2nd anyway.
                Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel View Post
                  7TDs, 12INTs.

Can Berlin really be worse than that? And if he was, the Rams would be picking 1st instead of 2nd anyway.

Good point. I just don't see Brock becoming a viable NFL QB, even as just a backup. IMO, they need to draft someone in the middle rounds and then sign another vet as well.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

Originally posted by AWSmith98 View Post
                    That just means we're taking a QB with the #2 pick....wait a minute we don't have here anymore, so never mind.

-RBB

Comment

Working...
                    X