Major blackout in south Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major blackout in south Florida

The lights are still on in California, suckers...
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Bummer.
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

South Florida is completely underrated in its level of craziness.

Comment

What kind of goofs do they have to be to have their system go down in February? Yahoo says it's 77 degrees in Miami right now. You can't schedule enough generation for a 77-degree day? Schmucks.

Comment

That motherfuckin' Ralph Nader strikes again!

Moon

Comment

They drive like idiots with traffic signals - don't think I'd like to see how they do without them.
            If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Somebody's going to get in trouble for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
                They drive like idiots with traffic signals - don't think I'd like to see how they do without them.
                Nevermind - CNN.com has live footage!
                If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                  What kind of goofs do they have to be to have their system go down in February? Yahoo says it's 77 degrees in Miami right now. You can't schedule enough generation for a 77-degree day? Schmucks.
                  I'm no electrician, but the story said it was a major transmission failure. Is it possible they had it scheduled but can't deliver it because of the failure?

Comment

BWAHAHAHAHA.
                    "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
                    "I didn't know you
                    had any feelings"

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky View Post
                      I'm no electrician, but the story said it was a major transmission failure. Is it possible they had it scheduled but can't deliver it because of the failure?
                      It's possible, but you are required to run your system so that it can withstand any single event. That entails having enough reserve generation available on hand. In other words, one domino can fall but it should not set off all the other dominoes. If something like this happened you can bet that 1) they didn't have enough reserve power bought, or 2) some lying-ass generation owner sold reserve power that he couldn't actually deliver, or 3) the system in general was so heavily stressed that it could not survive the loss of a line. All of which are bad.

CNN's saying four million people...I am already looking forward to the incident report they'll probably send around at work six months from now...

Comment

A friend of mine in Key West came online earlier today and said haha it's 75 degrees down here...now I can say ha ha, at least I have electricity, SUCKER!

Comment

Who gives a fuck. They are in Florida. Go play some golf and come home when it's fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                            It's possible, but you are required to run your system so that it can withstand any single event. That entails having enough reserve generation available on hand. In other words, one domino can fall but it should not set off all the other dominoes. If something like this happened you can bet that 1) they didn't have enough reserve power bought, or 2) some lying-ass generation owner sold reserve power that he couldn't actually deliver, or 3) the system in general was so heavily stressed that it could not survive the loss of a line. All of which are bad.

CNN's saying four million people...I am already looking forward to the incident report they'll probably send around at work six months from now...
                            Thanks, good stuff.

We had an outage in Texas last summer, and the spokeperson for the electric company told me it was caused by a major transmission malfunction that happened while some sites were down doing scheduled maintenance. That's why I asked.

Of course, one would suspect scheduled maintenance is easy in South Florida because of the climate, whereas it has to be scheduled around peak usage seasons in other places.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
                              South Florida is completely underrated in its level of craziness.

++

I am not quite sure why Florida has the nice reputation it does...
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                              -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Working...
                              X