Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Wings trade for Robert Lang

NHL's leading scorer traded to Detroit

The Detroit Red Wings have acquired center Robert Lang, one of the NHL's leading scorers, from the Washington Capitals for prospect Tomas Fleischmann, a first-round pick in 2004 and a fourth-round pick in 2006.

Lang, who is tied for the league scoring lead with 74 points, signed a five-year, $25-million contract with the Capitals when he became an unrestricted free agent on July 1, 2002.

"We could not have asked for more from Robert Lang over the past two seasons, he has been a terrific player for our club and we consider him as the best free-agent signing in the team's history," Washington GM George McPhee said in a prepared statement. "We have given Robert a chance to compete for the Stanley Cup while adding a good young player and two valuable draft choices to our organization. We wish Robert and his family all the best."

Lang is the third high-profile player to be traded from Washington this season. The Capitals traded Jaromir Jagr to the New York Rangers on Jan. 23 and shipped Peter Bondra, their all-time leading scorer, to the Ottawa Senators on Feb. 18.

Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

I can hear the crying right now.....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

add the capitals to the list of teams that need to be axed

Comment

Leading scorer in the NHL...nice pick up....kudos to Holland for making the move....

Comment

Wow, a team trying to make improvements. I wonder what that's like. Can the Blues PLEASE start rebuilding and become sellers?
          "My name is Pussy Galore."
          "I must be dreaming."

Official Sponsor of Scott Rolen

Comment

I wonder if Pierre Lacroix has something big planned.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Feb 27 2004, 02:14 PM
              Darby Hendrickson wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Feb 27 2004, 02:14 PM
                What do you think the Avs should do Dev? Their offense is slumping right now, but that will surely rebound when Forsberg comes back. I can see them picking up another defenseman, but I think they ride Aebischer for the playoffs.

Comment

Nope...nor was Kurt Sauer or Bob Boughner.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone+Feb 27 2004, 12:16 PM-->
                    QUOTE(Fishbone @ Feb 27 2004, 12:16 PM)

The Flyers were scouting Brian Leetch last night. I wonder if the Avs would have an interest in him also.
                    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar+Feb 27 2004, 02:18 PM-->
                      QUOTE(devaskar @ Feb 27 2004, 02:18 PM)
                      Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2004, 12:16 PM

Being an old school fan of Lang, it'll be nice to see him in a city that might appreicate the effort he puts into being a talented player.

Although I think he would've made a nice replacement for Demitra.
                      "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. "
                      -- Dennis, Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Comment

Originally posted by Nebulous_Blue@Feb 27 2004, 02:20 PM
                        Being an old school fan of Lang, it'll be nice to see him in a city that might appreicate the effort he puts into being a talented player.

Although I think he would've made a nice replacement for Demitra.
                        Being Pavol Demitra's sponsor, I wholeheartedly disagree...

Comment

I wholeheartedly would disagree with the Blues going after Leetch (as Melrose suggested last night) but I understand the rationale: preserving the playoff streak is more important to this group than building a championship contender, they figure Leetch will be MacInnis' replacement (especially on the power play) and will excel as the No. 2 guy behind Pronger, Pleau comes from the Rangers organization, and Pleau likes trading for American born players.

Comment

Working...
                          X