• Why social media sucks

Because we do.

The usual wisdom from Jonathan Haidt.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ocracy/600763/

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post
    Because we do.

and here you almost had me convinced in the other thread that there must be another explanation for Trump because it can't be that half the nation is stupid or evil.

Comment

All those stories about how the Russians used social media to manipulate people (including setting up fake pro-Trump rallies that people actually showed up for) and help Trump couldn't possibly have been true though, right? I mean, you basically called me a moron for even suggesting such a thing just today.

And now here we are. An article addressing how social media can be used to manipulate and be divisive.

Also, this isn't news to any of us who have been on planet Earth the past 10 years. This is about the hundredth article written addressing this issue and providing suggested solutions. And even this one was written over a year ago.
      " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

A moral compass is greater than social medta influence - just saying,
        Last edited by Schwahalala; 04-24-2021, 09:51 PM.
        Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
        God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Glad we cleared that up

Comment

Because we do.

Ignorant thread and title. Ignorant, ironic posts from Insight and J-K and Schwa and Ice.
            User Settings > Account > Ignore List "wonderdog" > Save settings

When the universe laughs, take cover.

Money isn't real.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderdog View Post

Ignorant thread and title. Ignorant, ironic posts from Insight and J-K and Schwa and Ice.
              Well they can't all declare Jon Jay the next Jim Edmonds on the basis of minor league error totals.

Comment

Originally posted by InSighT View Post
                Well they can't all declare Jon Jay the next Jim Edmonds on the basis of minor league error totals.
                Hello, Insight!

Focus...

Money isn't real.

Comment

Originally posted by JK View Post
                  All those stories about how the Russians used social media to manipulate people (including setting up fake pro-Trump rallies that people actually showed up for) and help Trump couldn't possibly have been true though, right? I mean, you basically called me a moron for even suggesting such a thing just today.

And now here we are. An article addressing how social media can be used to manipulate and be divisive.

Also, this isn't news to any of us who have been on planet Earth the past 10 years. This is about the hundredth article written addressing this issue and providing suggested solutions. And even this one was written over a year ago.
                  I categorized you as a moron for blaming the loss on Russian interference, which has been debunked a million times over.

And then I said you're not a moron. Just a guy who can make himself sincerely believe what he want to believe. We all do that to one degree or another. You're just really good at it; at least when it comes to the Democratic Party.

And I'm sorry for posting this article. I seem to have wasted your time. Is there any way I can make it up to you? Should I boycott something?

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
                    A moral compass is greater than social medta influence - just saying,
                    Yeah, if you have a reliable one to begin with.

If not.....any wind can blow you.

Comment

I categorized you as a moron for blaming the loss on Russian interference, which has been debunked a million times over.

And then I said you're not a moron. Just a guy who can make himself sincerely believe what he want to believe. We all do that to one degree or another. You're just really good at it; at least when it comes to the Democratic Party.

And I'm sorry for posting this article. I seem to have wasted your time. Is there any way I can make it up to you? Should I boycott something?
                      Except that it hasn't. Did you read the Senate Intelligence report on it? From a committee chaired by a Republican? Evidence all over the place and not in dispute even from Rs that Putin/Russia favored Trump. Evidence all over the place about how the Russians used Facebook and Twitter troll armies.

And now you post an article (again, the content of which is not a surprise to many of us) on how social media is used to manipulate, influence and divide people.

But yeah, they had no impact. You think because they didn't hack voter machines that they didn't have an impact on that election in Trump's favor? Because if that's what you are saying, you are proving once again how in the dark you are.

They were running a goddamned social media psy ops campaign. This article sheds light on exactly how that would've been effective.

" Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Pull the full Mueller report out of barr's fat ass and let's have a look.
                        Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

The Russia stuff is still a thing?

Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                          -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Establishment 1 View Post
                            The Russia stuff is still a thing?
                            For those yet to get over 2016, yes.

If we work hard, I'm sure we can bring Bush v. Gore into it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JK View Post
                              This article sheds light on exactly how that would've been effective.
                              Or they could have just read the forum to see it in action.

Money isn't real.

Comment

Working...
                              X