Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"God Hates Fags" and apparently those who make signs like that too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "God Hates Fags" and apparently those who make signs like that too!

Yes, ladies and gents....the father of a soldier killed in Iraq was awarded $10.6M from the the Westboro Baptist Church. Hopefully this will put them out of business.

BALTIMORE, Maryland (AP) -- A grieving father won a nearly $11 million verdict Wednesday against a fundamentalist Kansas church that pickets military funerals in the belief that the war in Iraq is a punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.
    A member of Westboro Baptist Church protests outside a veteran's hospital in Maywood, Illinois, in April 2006.

Albert Snyder of York, Pennsylvania, sued the Westboro Baptist Church for unspecified damages after members demonstrated at the March 2006 funeral of his son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who was killed in Iraq.
    The jury first awarded $2.9 million in compensatory damages. It returned later in the afternoon with its decision to award $6 million in punitive damages for invasion of privacy and $2 million for causing emotional distress.
    U.S. District Judge Richard Bennett noted the size of the award for compensating damages "far exceeds the net worth of the defendants," according to financial statements filed with the court.
    Church members routinely picket funerals of military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, carrying signs such as "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags."
    A number of states have passed laws regarding funeral protests, and Congress has passed a law prohibiting such protests at federal cemeteries.
    But the Maryland lawsuit is believed to be the first filed by the family of a fallen serviceman.
    The church and three of its leaders -- the Rev. Fred Phelps and his two daughters, Shirley Phelps-Roper and Rebecca Phelps-Davis, 46 -- were found liable for invasion of privacy and intent to inflict emotional distress.
    Snyder claimed the protests intruded upon what should have been a private ceremony and sullied his memory of the event.
    The church members testified they are following their religious beliefs by spreading the message that the deaths of soldiers are due to the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.
    Their attorneys argued in closing statements Tuesday that the burial was a public event and that even abhorrent points of view are protected by the First Amendment, which guarantees freedom of speech and religion.
    The judge said the church's financial statements, sealed earlier, could be released to the plaintiffs.
    Earlier, church members staged a demonstration outside the federal courthouse.
    Church founder Fred Phelps held a sign reading "God is your enemy," while Shirley Phelps-Roper stood on an American flag and carried a sign that read "God hates fag enablers."
    Members of the group sang "God Hates America" to the tune of "God Bless America."
    Snyder sobbed when he heard the verdict, while members of the church greeted the news with tightlipped smiles.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/10/31....ap/index.html
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

This is great. Finally someone is getting called out for being insensitive to others. Hope that "Rev" goes bankrupt

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

If I were a local official, and those clowns came to my town, I would not send my police force to protect them.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

There's no chance they actually pay it out. It will be reversed on appeal.

Washburn alums the lot of them. Go Bods!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
            There's no chance they actually pay it out. It will be reversed on appeal.

Washburn alums the lot of them. Go Bods!
            They won't reverse the whole thing. In fact, the appeals court might uphold the verdict in it's entirety.

The good news is that the church's financials are now public record, so individuals and companies who support the church will now face public wrath.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
              It will be reversed on appeal.
              Doubt it.

The church has to prove that the original trial ruling was wrong using only evidence and testimony presented at the original trial. Appeals courts almost always never hear any new testimony that wasn't presented at the original trial.

Comment

I saw the old fart leader in an interview say that this was great publicity for his group. He sees this as a victory. The $$$ already being decided upon would bankrupt the church, however I think I heard that the Punitive damages had not even been figured in/decided upon yet. I can't remember too well, I heard this at like 5:15 this morning. Not much sticks in my brain at that hour.
                Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

That guy deserves a beatdown.
                  The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb View Post
                    That guy deserves a beatdown.
                    public stoning sounds good to me by all members of the military
                    Sponsor of:
                    Brian Elliott
                    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Uh, why is this going to hold up on appeal? What's the injury here?

Aw, did ums get you feewings hurted...? Wah, wah.

No way having a bunch of loons protest a funeral is going to net this dad $11 mil. Clearly a jury trying to send a message regardless of the law.

Moon

Comment

Awesome....what those people did was beneath contemptable.

I wonder how the ACLU feels about it? I remember one of their drones defending these sacks of shit a while back on the telly.
                        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB View Post

I wonder how the ACLU feels about it? I remember one of their drones defending these sacks of shit a while back on the telly.
                          he ACLU also has defended the KKK.
                          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB View Post

But I thought that our legal system was borked? Except for when it's a frivolous suit you support I suppose?

Moon

Comment

I can't imagine what happened to this guy that made him so damn angry. A couple of years ago someone posted a segment from Sky News on the WBC, and listening to some of the members speak was truly frightening, especially the grand daughters. That anyone could spew hate so matter of factly is quite scary.
                              Official Lounge Sponsor:
                              Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                              The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                              Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Working...
                              X