NYCers Have Longest Commute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYCers Have Longest Commute

Between the Giants, the Knicks, and the Fresh Kills landfill, New Yorkers must endure plenty of things that stink. Add this to the list: area residents suffer the nation's longest daily commutes to work.

Full list in the article.

I'm between 30-40. How about you?
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

When I worked in the city (NYC), I drove 1 hour in, and more often than not, 2 hours home.

Now I'm closer to home... 5-7 minutes.
    First Fan of the Halifax IceBreakers!

Comment

Guess I'm kind of provincial, but to my simple mind that seems a pretty good reason not to live in NY.

Comment

I get 25-40 depending on traffic, i have a 5 min window, if i miss it i add 10-15 to my time easy.
        Don't feel sorry for New Yorkers though

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

It's only about 30 for me, but when I lived in Atlanta, my commute was more like an hour to an hour and a half...for about 40 miles.
          "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. "
          -- Dennis, Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Comment

It's among the reasons I'm going to spend my summer vacation looking for a job outside of NY.

1st: The driving is insane, even if you want to go to the store a couple miles away, you could be sitting in traffic for an hour. I used to work at the beach when I was in HS, it's a 10 minute drive. Busy weekends, it could take over an hour to get in.

2nd: Now I'm a teacher, I have NY kids, I had city kids who were the best and now I have suburban kids who are the worst. I can't put up with 40 years of kids like this, so I'm in search of someplace else that's close to a "city" type setting, city schools, at-risk children... the kids I like to teach.

3rd: The cost of living is ridiculous.

Comment

One hour and 10 minutes - on a good day - from my front door to the office in midtown Manhattan.

30 minutes today back in the cow town.
              And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

That seems such a waste of time, but maybe I'm just not cut out for the "big city."

I can't stand the time I spend already.

That's an hour a day blown in the car.
                When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

A fairly reliable 35 minutes on the El.

Comment

One day I left my parking spot at 3:15... I finally walked in the front door at 7.

Another time, I left at 8:30, got home at 9:15.

It also depends on the time of day you leave. The thing about "5 minute window" is a fact of life in NY. If you leave 5 minutes early, you arrive an hour early, if you leave 5 minutes later, you arrive who knows when?

Comment

5 minutes, and no, I don't pass any farm field (corn or otherwise) on my way.

Comment

10 minutes. Same drive in Atlanta took me an hour and a half.
                        If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Working...
                        X