Jason Ryan--mistake cost several million for Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Ryan--mistake cost several million for Cards

I am getting just a little frustrated trying to get a response to a question I believe is reasonable, so I am rephrasing it with a more provocative title. I was on KMOX and asked Bernie and Mike to connect the dots between the Cardinals 84 million player salary budget and their failure to make the playoffs in 03. I used as few words as possible. Mike Grimm said he had heard each home playoff game is worth about a million dollars to the home team. They did not get into the area of how much of that is immediately payable to the players. Shannon said it would impact the sale of tickets for 2004. The Ryan thing in the title refers to the savings of 50,000 dollars to not have him on the team in September. Of course, there is no guarantee that he would have been used or would have made a difference. With all the expertise on this forum and with the wealth of knowledge posessesed by Bernie and Mike I am surprised the information available is so elusive. I wonder about this phenomenon of how much does a team gamble and stand to gain when it comes to making the playoffs in several sports. Am I asking a lousy question?
    v

I think that I read somewhere that this "non move" had more to do with La Russa and his brilliant pitching coach Duncan (who is not bright enough to work with young pitchers) and less to do with ownership.

I never, ever stick up for DeTwitt et al, but in this case, the issue are the two aforementioned dipshits.
    Jimmy Buffett quote of the week:

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

- Jimmy Buffett, Take it Back, Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads Box Set

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

Comment

Originally posted by ScottStevens@Feb 26 2004, 08:13 PM
      I think that I read somewhere that this "non move" had more to do with La Russa and his brilliant pitching coach Duncan (who is not bright enough to work with young pitchers) and less to do with ownership.

I never, ever stick up for DeTwitt et al, but in this case, the issue are the two aforementioned dipshits.
      That makes no sense whatsoever. Why would the manager not want to call up people in September?

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523+Feb 26 2004, 08:22 PM-->
        QUOTE(kah2523 @ Feb 26 2004, 08:22 PM)

Kjoe:

heard you on the radio and I think it is a very good question. I don't know the answer, but my guess would be that whatever money was made during the playoffs would either: (a) offset any financial losses for the year; or (B) if the club broke even or made some money, the extra playoff dollars would go to the owners as a bonus.

Again, total speculation on my part.

Good question.
        "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Tony runs out of players every September.
          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

I really don't understand your question.

And I don't understand your avatar either.
            When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Feb 26 2004, 10:05 PM
              I really don't understand your question.

And I don't understand your avatar either.
              My question is based on the fact that the Cardinals have a budget, which includes 84 million dollars for player salaries. As bad as they seemed to us last season, they did not miss the playoffs by much. Key plays in a handful of games could have made the difference. If they had made the playoffs, the team would have had more income last year. I would like to know how much more, and whether it would have been enough to change the amount they have budgeted for salaries this year. More generally, especially in the case of the Blues, I wonder how this affects teams in several sports each year. As to my avatar, I had a thread about a letter I received from a fan of Rush Limbaugh. I stored it as apicture in my computer. I could not figure out how to post pictures, so I resized the letter and used it as an avatar for a while. I said if I could learn how to post the letter full-size I would change my avatar to a picture of one of the Gorgeous Ladies of wrestling I met in Las vegas a while back. She had an honorable reason for standing that close to me. Prote said if I e-mailed him the letter he would post it and he did. Winston Smith, I enjoy your posts, and if you tell me to change my avatar, I will. The encounter with the lady wrestler was brief, pleasant and memorable.
              v

Comment

Joey-

Dont change the avatar, mate..

I like it even more now I know its you and a lady wrestler...nice.

Comment

Working...
                X