The Kerry flip-flop myth debunked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kerry flip-flop myth debunked

Once again, the Republicans are using their time honored tactic of slamming an opponent for things that they themselves endorsed. Just like their disgusting attacks on Paul Wellstone.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2096127/

Before George W. Bush's political operatives started pounding on John Kerry for voting against certain weapons systems during his years in the Senate, they should have taken a look at this quotation:

After completing 20 planes for which we have begun procurement, we will shut down further production of the B-2 bomber. We will cancel the small ICBM program. We will cease production of new warheads for our sea-based ballistic missiles. We will stop all new production of the Peacekeeper [MX] missile. And we will not purchase any more advanced cruise missiles. … The reductions I have approved will save us an additional $50 billion over the next five years. By 1997 we will have cut defense by 30 percent since I took office.

The speaker was President George H.W. Bush, the current president's father, in his State of the Union address on Jan. 28, 1992.

They should also have looked up some testimony by Dick Cheney, the first President Bush's secretary of defense (and now vice president), three days later, boasting of similar slashings before the Senate Armed Services Committee:

Overall, since I've been Secretary, we will have taken the five-year defense program down by well over $300 billion. That's the peace dividend. … And now we're adding to that another $50 billion … of so-called peace dividend.

Much more in the article.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Only you could spin it with that title.

Are there votes in Kerry's 20-year record as a senator that might look embarrassing in retrospect? Probably. But these are not the ones.

Comment

Does say he was tricked into voting agianst the first GW and for the second.
      What about Nafta.

Not sure the "myth" is debunked.
      Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Feb 26 2004, 11:42 AM
        Not sure the "myth" is debunked.
        I didn't see any myth debunked, but what they hey.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote+Feb 26 2004, 11:43 AM-->
          QUOTE(pgrote @ Feb 26 2004, 11:43 AM)

Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Feb 26 2004, 11:47 AM-->
          QUOTE(Trigfunctions @ Feb 26 2004, 11:47 AM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2004, 11:43 AM

His entire career is about bad choices for the nation.
          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 26 2004, 01:05 PM
            W's entire career is about bad choices for the nation.
            fixed.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 26 2004, 01:05 PM
              His entire career is about bad choices for the nation.
              Including all of the choices listed above that Bush 1 and Cheney endorsed.

See how it works?
              2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Feb 26 2004, 01:39 PM-->
                QUOTE(Trigfunctions @ Feb 26 2004, 01:39 PM)

Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Feb 26 2004, 11:47 AM-->
                QUOTE(Trigfunctions @ Feb 26 2004, 11:47 AM)
                Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2004, 11:43 AM
              Working...
              X