• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush Economic Stimulus Plan

Jobless claims up 6,000

Four-week average highest since December
    By Corbett B. Daly, CBS MarketWatch
    Last Update: 8:43 AM ET Feb. 26, 2004

WASHINGTON (CBS.MW) -- The number of people applying for unemployment benefits for the first time rose 6,000 to 350,000 in the week ended Feb. 21, the Labor Department said Thursday.

The four-week average rose 2,750 to 354,750, the fourth consecutive increase in the more reliable measure of jobless claims and the highest level since December of last year.

Economists prefer the four-week average to the volatile weekly figure.

The number of workers who already have unemployment insurance and are seeking continuing benefits fell 4,250 to 3.1 million, according to the department's four-week average. This is the lowest number of workers collecting unemployment benefits since Jan. 31.

The insured unemployment rate remained unchanged at 2.5 percent.

==================================================

Bush Economic Report Forecasts Continued Growth, Job Creation in 2004
    By Jimmy Moore
    Talon News
    February 10, 2004

A new economic report submitted by President George W. Bush to Congress on Monday finds that the tax cuts are working to stimulate the economy and create jobs in the U.S.

"America's economy is strong and getting stronger," the president wrote in the annual report of the state of the economy.

================================================== ===

see how Bush is doing
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Raising taxes and minimum wage will definately help. Vote democrat.
    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

King: After 3+ years, is Bush's "tax-cut-and-run" plan working yet?

Time is running out on this guy!
      Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Feb 26 2004, 12:34 PM
        King: After 3+ years, is Bush's "tax-cut-and-run" plan working yet?

Time is running out on this guy!
        He only has half of the equation down. But raising taxes and the minimum wage won't help.
        Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Feb 26 2004, 11:53 AM
          Democrats actually thinks a minimum wage helps the poor. It's hard to argue economics with some.

Comment

After 3+ years, is Bush's "tax-cut-and-run" plan working yet?
            A simple "yes", or "no" would do!

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Feb 26 2004, 11:53 AM
              Raising taxes and minimum wage will NOT help. I turn you to Arthur Benavie's common-sense look at the deficit, Deficit Hysteria, which clearly shows that over time, deficit spending has been the best way to reduce unemployment while keeping interest rates fairly low.

ALSO, in a time of relatively high unemployment, deficit spending will likely not raise inflation. Conservative fiscal and monetary policy, like those of Reagan's term, have shown to be largely successful. The best thing to do is not overreact and just wait it out.
              Official Sponsor: Tyler Hansbrough and the North Carolina Tar Heels

Comment

Originally posted by TarHeelBlues+Feb 26 2004, 01:09 PM-->
                QUOTE(TarHeelBlues @ Feb 26 2004, 01:09 PM)

Originally posted by BurnKU+Feb 26 2004, 01:10 PM-->
                QUOTE(BurnKU @ Feb 26 2004, 01:10 PM)
                Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by nick2@Feb 26 2004, 12:59 PM
                After 3+ years, is Bush's "tax-cut-and-run" plan working yet?
                A simple "yes", or "no" would do!
                What do you mean by "working"? The economy isn't bad. In the short term, the deficits won't hurt, but spending has to be controlled, which won't happen no matter who is in the White House.

As far as unemployment, Bush has done nothing to make those numbers worse. He isn't promoting ideas that will make it worse. Raising taxes and minimum wage, and getting rid of NAFTA will make it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by TarHeelBlues+Feb 26 2004, 01:11 PM-->
                  QUOTE(TarHeelBlues @ Feb 26 2004, 01:11 PM)
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Feb 26 2004, 01:13 PM-->
                  QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Feb 26 2004, 01:13 PM)
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2004, 01:11 PM
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2004, 01:10 PM

[QUOTE]BurnKU: As far as unemployment, Bush has done nothing to make those numbers worse. He isn't promoting ideas that will make it worse[QUOTE]

Or BETTER-- which is really the objective here!

Are you proclaiming that ... not making those (sorry-ass) numbers worse is quite an accomplish for good ole Dubya! :rolleyes:

Comment

[quote=nick2,Feb 26 2004, 01:41 PM] [QUOTE]BurnKU: As far as unemployment, Bush has done nothing to make those numbers worse. He isn't promoting ideas that will make it worse

Or BETTER-- which is really the objective here!

Are you proclaiming that ... not making those (sorry-ass) numbers worse is quite an accomplish for good ole Dubya! :rolleyes:
                    A president has little control over the economy. I don't think there is much he can do. What will Kerry do that will improve the economy? If he has a good idea, I'd like to hear it.

If you take our economy and compare it with the economy over the past 50 years, it doesn't look so sorry. Historically speaking, the economy isn't bad.

Comment

Are you proclaiming that ... not making those (sorry-ass) numbers worse is quite an accomplish for good ole Dubya!
                      Yes, I believe that the Tax cuts directly led to a much less significant recession. Indirectly encouraged entrepreneurship, and increased hiring at the small business level.
                      Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Working...
                      X