Do the Braves have a chance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the Braves have a chance?

Every year it is finally over, their run has come to an end.
    But has it?
    If everyone thinks Maddux sucks, is just losing Sheff going to knock them out of first place?
    Or can their GM pull out yet one more year on top?
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

I don't think they can win it this season.

The Phillies are vastly improved.

The guys that he's used to plug holes this year I don't think are as reliable as those he's used in the past.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

No, they don't.

Comment

Hey, it's spring training, everybody has a chance.
        I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

I think losing Sheff and Javy and Maddux will be too much for them to overcome. Their starting rotation is questionable, and so is their offense. They got some monster offensive years last year that were unexpected, and that was a big reason why they won. Maybe Drew will have a monster year this year. Even if he does, I still dont see it as being enough. They need a couple more good reliable starters.

The Phillies are my pick to win, and I think the Marlins will be up there again. The Braves will be good - maybe even good enough to get a wild card - but I dont see them beating the Phils.

But like you said, they have been picked to not win in other years, and they keep winning...
          “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

As much as I like em (well my friend that plays for them) I think their time has come to an end.
            Sponsor of:
            Brian Elliott
            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Guppy:

Who is your friend that plays for them?

I'm inclined to agree with Razzy's take. The Braves pitching wasn't great last year but they overcame it with a great offense. Well, Javy is gone, Sheffield is gone, Castilla is gone, and their veteran first basemen are gone, and the only one replaced with a proven major leaguer is Sheffield, and he is replaced by a talented enigma who has never put it all together for a full season. Even if Drew does put it all together, will it be enough?

Comment

A snowball's....
                Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Feb 26 2004, 10:12 AM
                  Guppy:

I'm inclined to agree with Razzy's take. The Braves pitching wasn't great last year but they overcame it with a great offense. Well, Javy is gone, Sheffield is gone, Castilla is gone, and their veteran first basemen are gone, and the only one replaced with a proven major leaguer is Sheffield, and he is replaced by a talented enigma who has never put it all together for a full season. Even if Drew does put it all together, will it be enough?
                  I think he's like a career minor leaguer.

Andruw somthing....
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                  MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                  The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Feb 26 2004, 10:12 AM
                    Guppy:

Andruw Jones

I met him in 1996 when he was with Durham and my friend Roy and I gave him (and Wes Helms) pure hell during game 3 of a 6 game series. Andruw was 0-9 or so for the first two games and we were saying where was this minor league player of the year that we heard so much about. He said just watch this game tonight fellas. He went 5-5 with 2 homers and 2 doubles. Drove in 6 runs and made an awesome play in the field. After the game both him and Wes came up to us and said was that good enough. We gave Wes a hard time too the prior two games and when he came out for the third game he saw us and just shook his head. After the game they asked where was a good place to get some good grub and just hang to shoot pool, toss darts and so on. Since we were in the thriving community of Kinston, NC there was really only one place and that was Kings BBQ followed by some bar I can't remember (Wes was 19, Andruw was 18 I think). In 1996 I followed Andruw to Greenville (AA) and tried to Richmond (AAA) but he was called up to Atlanta by that time I could go. I moved to Atlanta and saw one of the last regular season games at Fulton County to see him play. He came in late in the game and got the game winning RBI over Houston. When he comes to town we usually get a bite to eat and catch up on everything going on. And oh yeah, get tix to at least one of the games if not more.
                    Sponsor of:
                    Brian Elliott
                    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Guppy:

Thanks for sharing that. Cool story.

Comment

Two words.........

Larry Bowa
                        Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Cool story.
                          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Guppy, yours and other stories like that make me sad.
                            Many of you have met cool players and have stories like that. The best I can do is the one time I was on the same shuttle with a very hammered towel man going to a Blues game.

Sad.
                            Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever@Feb 26 2004, 10:31 AM
                              Guppy, yours and other stories like that make me sad.
                              Many of you have met cool players and have stories like that. The best I can do is the one time I was on the same shuttle with a very hammered towel man going to a Blues game.

Sad.
                              I had Jim Edmonds buy me drinks all night once.

That same night a friend of mine lost a $100 bet with Matt Morris.
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Working...
                              X