Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there be a draft?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The language in that document pales into insignificance compared to the stuff they threw at me when I was your age. In 1979, the draft was a recent memory, and I know for a fact that most of us thought it was going to come back. But it became obvious that it couldn't come back.

    Look, let me give you one more thing to cheer you up. No nation in the history of the world has done more to substitute technology and firepower for manpower than has the US. People grumble a little if a drone is shot down or we use a few million-dollar cruise missles. They howl if a serviceman gets killed. This is not normal behavior in most countries with troops overseas. Today it takes so much to equip and train an American soldier that you are extremely unlikely to be called up even in an emergency, simply because it'll cost so much and take so long to train you that it's not likely to be worth it. Long, long before Bush (or Kerry) will resort to a draft, they'll withdraw the forces from the theater, because of the political and fiscal impact.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit+Feb 25 2004, 06:12 PM-->
      QUOTE(mellanby_equals_grit @ Feb 25 2004, 06:12 PM)

    • #18
      Originally posted by Airshark@Feb 25 2004, 06:26 PM
      The language in that document pales into insignificance compared to the stuff they threw at me when I was your age. In 1979, the draft was a recent memory, and I know for a fact that most of us thought it was going to come back. But it became obvious that it couldn't come back.

      Look, let me give you one more thing to cheer you up. No nation in the history of the world has done more to substitute technology and firepower for manpower than has the US. People grumble a little if a drone is shot down or we use a few million-dollar cruise missles. They howl if a serviceman gets killed. This is not normal behavior in most countries with troops overseas. Today it takes so much to equip and train an American soldier that you are extremely unlikely to be called up even in an emergency, simply because it'll cost so much and take so long to train you that it's not likely to be worth it. Long, long before Bush (or Kerry) will resort to a draft, they'll withdraw the forces from the theater, because of the political and fiscal impact.
      I don't think I'm freaking out so much as discussing an issue that DIRECTLY affects me.

      I understand that there is a 98% chance of me not having to go.. If being a student doesn't do it, having 2 bum knees might...

      But the likeliness now is a LOT higher than it was when I registered and so I'm starting to become concerned...

      Let's face it.. Terrorism isn't a gigantic threat to the average American, but we freak out over that.

      "
      Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

      Comment


      • #19
        Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit@Feb 25 2004, 06:32 PM

        Let's face it.. Terrorism isn't a gigantic threat to the average American, but we freak out over that.
        and the draft is.


        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

        Comment


        • #20
          Originally posted by lazydaze+Feb 25 2004, 06:33 PM-->
          QUOTE(lazydaze @ Feb 25 2004, 06:33 PM)

        • #21
          Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit+Feb 25 2004, 06:48 PM-->
          QUOTE(mellanby_equals_grit @ Feb 25 2004, 06:48 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:33 PM

        • #22
          Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit+Feb 25 2004, 06:48 PM-->
          QUOTE(mellanby_equals_grit @ Feb 25 2004, 06:48 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:33 PM

        • #23
          Originally posted by Airshark+Feb 25 2004, 06:49 PM-->
          QUOTE(Airshark @ Feb 25 2004, 06:49 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:48 PM
          Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:33 PM

        • #24
          Originally posted by lazydaze+Feb 25 2004, 06:51 PM-->
          QUOTE(lazydaze @ Feb 25 2004, 06:51 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:48 PM
          Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:33 PM

        • #25
          Originally posted by Airshark+Feb 25 2004, 06:49 PM-->
          QUOTE(Airshark @ Feb 25 2004, 06:49 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:48 PM
          Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:33 PM

        • #26
          out of 280 million people in the US, 2300 died from a terrorist attack. out of 105,000 soliders in Iraq, 500 have died. The ratios aren't even close.

          Comment


          • #27
            Originally posted by Fishbone@Feb 25 2004, 06:54 PM
            out of 280 million people in the US, 2300 died from a terrorist attack. out of 105,000 soliders in Iraq, 500 have died. The ratios aren't even close.
            VERY good point.....
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

            Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

            Comment


            • #28
              Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Feb 25 2004, 06:52 PM-->
              QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Feb 25 2004, 06:52 PM)
              Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:49 PM
              Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:48 PM
              Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:33 PM

            • #29
              Originally posted by Airshark+Feb 25 2004, 06:55 PM-->
              QUOTE(Airshark @ Feb 25 2004, 06:55 PM)
              Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:52 PM
              Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:49 PM
              Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:48 PM
              Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 06:33 PM

            • #30
              Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Feb 25 2004, 06:54 PM-->
              QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Feb 25 2004, 06:54 PM)
            Working...
            X