Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush's war for oil will cost Social Security

Just Great

Just great Dubya, your doing a fine job.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Social security was a horrible idea and it's a horrible program. It needs to be cut anyway, regardless of the war.
    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Yaks thinks it "works fine".

Those are his words.
      And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Feb 25 2004, 03:11 PM
        Social security was a horrible idea and it's a horrible program. It needs to be cut anyway, regardless of the war.
        It needs to be stopped completely with those people receiving what they have already paid in when they retire.

Comment

I'd gladly forfeit any claims if we could just end it today.
          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card+Feb 25 2004, 03:13 PM-->
            QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Feb 25 2004, 03:13 PM)

Originally posted by BurnKU+Feb 25 2004, 03:17 PM-->
            QUOTE(BurnKU @ Feb 25 2004, 03:17 PM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Iowa_Card+Feb 25 2004, 03:22 PM-->
            QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Feb 25 2004, 03:22 PM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by BurnKU+Feb 25 2004, 03:25 PM-->
            QUOTE(BurnKU @ Feb 25 2004, 03:25 PM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 03:22 PM
            Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 03:17 PM

This is great news.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card@Feb 25 2004, 03:29 PM
              I agree 100%. I get pissed when I see an old fart driving around in a Caddy that I know I helped fund. I get even more pissed when I get behind them going 20 MPH in a 50 MPH zone on a busy two lane highway.

I've never thought of SS as the primary means of retirement support. I'm also realistic enough to plan my retirement without any SS benefits.

Like I said, I'm worried about my 401k (at least, the portion the company pays into it which, in my case, is in company stock) being worthless if my company goes under.
              I agree 100%. I get pissed when I see an old fart driving around in a Caddy that I know I helped fund. I get even more pissed when I get behind them going 20 MPH in a 50 MPH zone on a busy two lane highway.
              Or when people here say they don't have enough money to invest, but they have long threads about computer equipment they are buying. Yep, leave it up to the government to take care of me!

Like I said, I'm worried about my 401k (at least, the portion the company pays into it which, in my case, is in company stock) being worthless if my company goes under.
              Your contribution will still be there. And your contribution, growing at a modest rate, will be a hell of a lot more than you'd get from social security.
              Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card@Feb 25 2004, 03:22 PM
                The problem anyone has with that philosophy is that your 401k is basically worthless if your company files for bankrupcy, and there needs to be some sort of protection on that. when I retire, I can live without SS but not without both.
                I'm not sure what you mean. Your 401k is only worthless if it was largely made up of stock in your now bankrupt company. That's a bad investment choice -- unless they didn't allow you to invest in other things.
                "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by phantom+Feb 25 2004, 03:44 PM-->
                  QUOTE(phantom @ Feb 25 2004, 03:44 PM)

Originally posted by Iowa_Card@Feb 25 2004, 03:48 PM
                  The matching contributions they make to it must go into the company stock. In order for the company to match the contributions, I need to put in, at least 8% of my check (I put in more, so I get the matching contributions).

I don't put anything (but the matching contributions) in the company stock and that makes up about 40% of my total 401k.
                  I would think that you can sell that stock after some period of time. If so, I get most of it out of their ASAP.

But, if there was a bankruptcy, at least it wouldn't be YOUR money that you earned and saved -- it's just matching. But it will still suck!
                  "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card+Feb 25 2004, 03:48 PM-->
                    QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Feb 25 2004, 03:48 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 03:44 PM
                  Working...
                  X