Kerry's Plan to Deal with Outsourcing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry's Plan to Deal with Outsourcing

Democratic White House hopeful John Kerry Wednesday blamed President Bush's policies for funneling American jobs overseas and proposed to discourage the practice by requiring U.S. companies to give advance notice of plans to send work abroad.

This doesn't sound like a bold idea. I'm not sure what this will accomplish. Opinions?
    "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

I suppose its to try and shame the companies to stay here.

Its made public they are leaving, the media gets ahold of it and pounds it into the heads of the people.

That'd be my guess.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Move the ketchup factories to the US.
      And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Feb 25 2004, 11:19 AM

Its made public they are leaving, the media gets ahold of it and pounds it into the heads of the people.

That'd be my guess.
        That was my take on it too. It's not thrilling, and it MAY deter some companies from outsourcing, but in the end I doubt it will change anything.

This is one of my problems with Kerry. He has all these great ideas and goals, but the way he plans on achieving them is not always clearly presented. And in the times it is, such as this, it's nothing to call home about.

Comment

That'd be my guess.
          I agree.

But for as strongly as he condemns Bush for things like outsourcing, he should have a better idea than that.
          "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

That'd be my guess.
            You might be on to something.

At my company, this seriously happened:

* one week, the CEO brags that he is in Washington meeting with Bush and Cheney and other CEOs to see what the govt might be able to do to help American companies and thereby help America

* the next week, the CEO announces that thousands of jobs will be moved offshore

Do you think this came up in the meeting with the White House?
            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by phantom+Feb 25 2004, 11:23 AM-->
              QUOTE(phantom @ Feb 25 2004, 11:23 AM)

Oustsourcing, while extremely painful, is good overall.

It's a natural extension of business.

What I find curious are the companies who are outsourcing everything and then realizing that certain things belong at home.

The thing I find funny is that Indians are concerned about outsourcing the outsourced work to the Phillipines.

Comment

That amounts to a whole lot of nothing. Again, Kerry has no plans or ideas. Just anti-Bush.

Wasn't a big reason behind that big war with England the fact that we couldn't trade freely?

How can Kerry be good for the average guy when his tax cuts and trade policies will create job losses?
                Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

My fundamental problem with stuff like this is that it's touchy-feely crap, rather than anything serious. Ask the CEO of any large company whether shame beats dollars. If he's a good CEO, he'll go with the bux.

And you know what, I'm OK with that. When the US lost most of its clothing and textiles jobs overseas, I saw that as a good thing - as a capitalist, I believe non-competitive businesses should be replaced by more efficient ones. If American companies can't compete in these areas, i.e. it just costs too much to produce ketchup here - fine, outsource the jobs.

I've found that in many areas outsourcing is just a giant mistake, though. An example is software engineering - comapnies that outsource these functions usually end up with either inferior products, large domestic staffs who have to ride herd on the foreign contractors, or both. I know this firsthand.

Comment

If it's a mistake, the marketplace will sort it out.
                    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 25 2004, 11:43 AM
                      If it's a mistake, the marketplace will sort it out.
                      Exactly. Capitalism is more robust than any law passed by Congress.

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark+Feb 25 2004, 11:46 AM-->
                        QUOTE(Airshark @ Feb 25 2004, 11:46 AM)

Originally posted by BurnKU+Feb 25 2004, 11:48 AM-->
                        QUOTE(BurnKU @ Feb 25 2004, 11:48 AM)
                        Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 11:46 AM

Kerry's likely to do more harm than good.

Once again, the only real solution to make American labor competitive is to remove a large chunk of the 2.4 Trillion dollar beast that sits on the economy.

Comment

Working...
                        X