Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles Deal Welbourn for Two Picks

Eagles Deal Welbourn for Two Picks

Disgruntled Eagles guard John Welbourn has received his wish.

The Eagles have dealt Welboun to the Kansas City Chiefs for a fifth-round pick in this year's draft and a fourth-rounder next year that, according to coach Andy Reid, becomes a third-round pick if Welbourn played half of the team's snaps next year.

Welbourn had recently asked the Eagles to renegotiate his contract and gone public with his grievances. The Eagles however weren't prepared to meet his demands, choosing instead fo have Welbourn play out the remaining five years of the contract extension that he signed in August, 2001.

The Eagles selected Welbourn in the fourth round of the 1999 draft, and he became a starter at left guard the next season. His departure breaks up a group that has started together for the last four seasons. Welbourn, right guard Jermane Mayberry along with tackles Tra Thomas and John Runyan have been the starters since the 2000 season. Hank Fraley became the starting center in 2001 after taking over Bubba Miller.

With the fifth-round pick, 162nd overall, the Eagles selected running back Thomas Tapeh out of Minnesota. In the next round, 185th overall, the Eagles took Delaware quarterback Andy Hall. Hall led the Blue Hens to the Division I-AA title, beating Colgate in the championship game.

With the first of their two fourth-round picks, the Eagles selected safety J.R. Reed out of South Florida. Two spots later, they drafted UTEP guard Trey Darilek. Instead of trying to fill a need, the Eagles wanted to acquire talent.

"We just thought these guys were the best players we could take, so we did," vice president of player personnel Tom Heckert said.

"I think reaching for the need is blown out of proportion. Most teams do it about the same way. If guys are close, then you can sway your way toward the need. But if a guy is drastically sitting out above the other players, just take him."

The Eagles could have looked at replacing running back Duce Staley adding depth to their linebacking corps. However, Heckert defended the players currently on the roster. The Eagles are not only confident in running backs Brian Westbrook and Correll Buckhalter but also Reno Mahe, who made the team as a rookie free agent last year.

"He's a great receiver. We think he shows run skills," Heckert said. "Everybody assumes that he's small, but he's about the same size as Brian Westbrook. We have expectations of this guy. We're not in a situation where we have to have a running back here. We think we're OK."

Heckert asserted that the Eagles feel they have sufficient depth at linebacker. Ike Reese is the only veteran backup behind starters Nate Wayne, Mark Simoneau and Dhani Jones. Reserves Keith Adams, Justin Ena and Tyreo Harrison have been limited to special teams.

"We're comfortable there," Heckert said.
    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

I was hoping the Niners would get him in their deal-down with the Eagles. He's a good guard and then they could've used their second-rounder on someone besides Justin Smiley.

Oh well. The Niners still did quite well in the draft, amazingly enough.

Comment

Yeah, Welbourn is really good and I'll miss him. I really don't understand why his attitude flipped all of a sudden. But I still wish him all the best. Anyone who kicks Sapp in the nuts is alright by me.

Comment

Wow. Shawn Andrews is a natural tackle. Are they going to try and convert him to guard?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I read a few scouting reports that said he may be better suited at guard in the NFL.

Comment

From Fox Sports:

Shawn Andrews; Arkansas, 6-4, 366, 5.48. A gigantic blocker with rare mobility and athleticism for his size. Can get out to the linebackers and make blocks in the open field. Combines balance and agility with great power. Can stagger defenders. Falls off blocks too often, and sometimes doesn't finish them. Might be best suited to play guard. Has had trouble controlling his weight.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD@Apr 25 2004, 02:53 PM
                I read a few scouting reports that said he may be better suited at guard in the NFL.
                True, as he is more of a run blocker, but upper-echelong tackles are so rare in this league it would make most sense to try him there, especially with Runyan's level of play declining so much in the past couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone+Apr 25 2004, 03:57 PM-->
                  QUOTE (Fishbone @ Apr 25 2004, 03:57 PM)

Originally posted by CSD+Apr 25 2004, 02:58 PM-->
                  QUOTE (CSD @ Apr 25 2004, 02:58 PM)
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 03:57 PM

Runyan has gotten better the last couple of years. Michael Strahan doesn't even own him anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone+Apr 25 2004, 03:59 PM-->
                    QUOTE (Fishbone @ Apr 25 2004, 03:59 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 02:58 PM
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 03:57 PM

If Buckhalter and Westbrook can't run for big yards behind a right side of Andrews and Runyan, there's no hope for them.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Apr 25 2004, 04:04 PM
                      If Buckhalter and Westbrook can't run for big yards behind a right side of Andrews and Runyan, there's no hope for them.
                      I'm not worried about Westbrook except when it comes to his durability. The kid can definitely play. As for Buckhalter, he has teased us in the past with flashes of brilliance but he needs to add consistancy to his game. He needs to step it up this season.

I really wish the Eagles would have kept Duce.

Comment

Like Dev, I was hoping the Niners would land Welbourn too....nice guy to land....

I like the draft how its worked out too....good ole Donahue

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

• Working...
                          X