Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BM on draft day one

Post subject: Rams Day 1 notes + a look at Day 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* The Rams wanted a RB in first round and would have done it somehow. They were convinced Steven Jackson would be gone earlier so they actually had a deal in the works for New England's 21st pick, which they would have used for RB Kevin Jones. Not because they preferred Jones over Jackson, but because they didn't think they had a realistic shot at Jackson and wanted to prepare a Plan B. And Plan C would have been this: trade away the 26th pick, move down, and take Tatum Bell in the early 2nd (or so).

* Rams definitely would have drafted QB Matt Schaub on the 91st pick, and were stunned when Atlanta grabbed him at No. 90. Martz was pretty ticked off.

* DE Tony Hargrove appears to be a reach -- I'm not thrilled by the selection of an inexperienced project player -- but the kid is a freak athletically. His physical tests were off the charts for a guy his size.Bill Kollar spent a lot of time with him in the last 10 days and likes him a lot personally. That's encouraging because Kollar doesn't have much use for players he doesn't like; maybe he'll actually try to coach this guy instead of tearing him down. They really liked Hargrove and had been scouting him extensively, but I do think the Leonard Little mess had some influence here. They needed some protection, though I don't know how much this kid will be able to contribute as a rookie.

* Rams' spin on Little is this: don't make any instant judgements, there's a lot more involved here than we may think. I could not get specifics out of them, but the organization believes there's a good chance for Little to gain exoneration. I jhave no idea. I do not know the details of this case. I am just passing the Rams' background spin along.

* OK, Day 2...some names to monitor....NATHAN VASHER, Texas CB who also can also return kicks/punts....WILL ALLEN, Ohio State safety/corner. Rams have high grades on these players....as for QBs, the one to watch is JEFF SMOKER, Michigan State. Martz likes him. He had a good visit. He's next on their QB wish list; doesn't mean it'll be Round 4....CASEY BRAMLET, Wyoming. He was in for a visit; Martz thinks he's a real sleeper....they are also seeking a TE on day 2; I have a hunch who it is but unfortunately cannot divulge.

Smoker was suspended last 5 games of 2002 season for substance abuse...he did rehab...seems to have turned things around...Bramlet is 6-3, 228...senior season had 3,037 yards, 22 TDs and 9 INTs...56.7 %. ... played Oklahoma State, Kansas, Air Force, Colorado State. Decent schedule.

Others they like: DEMORRIO WILLIAMS, Nebraska OLB....and JASON SHIVERS, Arizona State safety.

Also, I posted down below a follow-up with some stuff on cornerback WILL POOLE.

I hope everyone had a fun draft day.

Cheers,
    Bernie

* Rams' spin on Little is this: don't make any instant judgements, there's a lot more involved here than we may think. I could not get specifics out of them, but the organization believes there's a good chance for Little to gain exoneration. I jhave no idea. I do not know the details of this case. I am just passing the Rams' background spin along.

How do you spin something like that?

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Smoker sucks!

Big ol' party boy, slow footed, pocket passer.

Will Allen is off the board early in the 4th.

Vasher's OK but IMHO several better CB's still on the board.
      Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by hkyfan@Apr 25 2004, 10:30 AM
        Smoker sucks!

Big ol' party boy, slow footed, pocket passer.

Will Allen is off the board early in the 4th.

Vasher's OK but IMHO several better CB's still on the board.
        If we get Smoker, and he screws up, or Martz makes another DUMB call, I guess we'll all be asking, "What was he Smoking?"

Comment

I saw the title of this thread and thought you were talking about your trips to the toilet yesterday.
          LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels+Apr 25 2004, 10:52 AM-->
            QUOTE (Jack Daniels @ Apr 25 2004, 10:52 AM)

So we're trusting Kollar with fresh meat? As if ...

And what about the new defensive coordinator? Is the plan to leave Lovie's system in place?

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Apr 25 2004, 11:25 AM

And what about the new defensive coordinator? Is the plan to leave Lovie's system in place?
              A very good question, pgrote.

Kollar "tearing down talent?"

Can this guy be trusted to develop young
              talent?

The Dave Duncan of D-line coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Apr 25 2004, 11:25 AM

He did nice things with Pickett.

Now, if he'll give Jimmy Kennedy a kick in the ass! :angry:

Comment

Anybody else getting the feeling that Bernie has flip-flopped on the Rams coaching staff and upper management gradually over the past 4 months or so? That was a pretty subtle jab at Kollar

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels@Apr 25 2004, 11:40 AM
                    He did nice things with Pickett.
                    Compared to what? I expected much more from Pickett that was delievered. Do you think he's performing at the level he was drafted?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Apr 25 2004, 11:45 AM
                      Anybody else getting the feeling that Bernie has flip-flopped on the Rams coaching staff and upper management gradually over the past 4 months or so? That was a pretty subtle jab at Kollar
                      No.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote+Apr 25 2004, 12:46 PM-->
                        QUOTE (pgrote @ Apr 25 2004, 12:46 PM)

Originally posted by pgrote+Apr 25 2004, 11:46 AM-->
                        QUOTE (pgrote @ Apr 25 2004, 11:46 AM)
                        Working...
                        X