Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dan P. Kelly coming to the Blues pressbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan P. Kelly coming to the Blues pressbox?

Blues Banter

Ken Wilson, who recently completed his 20th season broadcasting Blues games, remains without a contract for next year. So are two former Blues broadcasters who just happen to be sons of legendary Blues broadcaster Dan Kelly - the man Wilson has tied for most full seasons broadcasting the club's games. Both are broadcasting on television elsewhere in the NHL.

Industry speculation is heating up that John or Dan P. Kelly could end up in the running for the TV play-by-play announcer position with the Blues. John is broadcasting the Colorado Avalanche for Fox Sports Net, which has lost the rights to the team's games next season to a network that is being formed by club owner Stan Kroenke. In Columbus, Dan worked for the team, not the telecaster.

Both said Friday they have had no conversations about returning to St. Louis next season.

"We're still in the playoffs, and I haven't given much thought yet to next year," John said. "I don't like to get into hypothetical situations anyway."

Dan said the recent departure of his boss, Blue Jackets vice president Michael Humes, to the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics adds even more uncertainty to his situation.

"I just want to call games somewhere next year," he said. "Otherwise I might be back home living with my mom."

Wilson is believed to be exploring other options just in case.

Blues telecasts are controlled by Fox Sports Net. Jack Donovan, who heads its local operations, said he hasn't had time to focus on the job.

"We haven't really rolled up our sleeves yet," he said, adding that he expects to address the issue within about 30 days. "We haven't had a chance to focus on it. We're under water with a lot of other things right now."

Although the position is filled by FSN, the Blues have veto rights.

"As you can imagine, we have been preoccupied by the other events," Blues vice president Jim Woodcock said, referring to the arrest of forward Mike Danton in a murder-for-hire case. "Any time we make a decision of this magnitude as a team - with Fox Sports Net - we feel it needs our full attention."

Woodcock said that process will begin soon.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

that would be cool....i'm not a huge fan of ken wilson, and he has the most boring radio show, ever.
    Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Apr 24 2004, 08:32 AM
      that would be cool....i'm not a huge fan of ken wilson, and he has the most boring radio show, ever.
      And the guy that does Blues radio play-by-play is horrible. You never know where the puck is.

Comment

Both guys suck, personally, with Wilson being the lesser of the two 'evils'...

Kerber just likes hearing the sound of his own voice....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I wouldn't mind at all if Dan Kelly, Jr. did play-by-play for the Blues, but not John Kelly. I don't want to hear his "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" call after every goal.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Apr 24 2004, 02:02 PM
            I wouldn't mind at all if Dan Kelly, Jr. did play-by-play for the Blues, but not John Kelly. I don't want to hear his "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" call after every goal.
            John Kelly is much better than his brother...

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Apr 24 2004, 02:05 PM-->
              QUOTE (007 @ Apr 24 2004, 02:05 PM)

Originally posted by 007+Apr 24 2004, 02:05 PM-->
              QUOTE (007 @ Apr 24 2004, 02:05 PM)

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty+Apr 24 2004, 02:08 PM-->
              QUOTE (GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Apr 24 2004, 02:08 PM)
              Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by ohio BLUES+Apr 24 2004, 02:09 PM-->
              QUOTE (ohio BLUES @ Apr 24 2004, 02:09 PM)
              Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2004, 02:08 PM
              Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2004, 02:05 PM

Okie doke.
              Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
              "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Dan Kelly Jr. needs to go to the Broadcast Center for more practice...

Comment

Originally posted by 007@Apr 24 2004, 02:13 PM
                  Dan Kelly Jr. needs to go to the Broadcast Center for more practice...
                  "Zherdev. Nash. Shot! SCORE!"

Gee, thanks, Dan. I know it's on TV, but come on.
                  Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                  "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

I thought it was a big mistake to let John Kelly go to Tampa.

I'd welcome him back.
                    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

• Working...
                      X