Great baseball in Columbia on Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great baseball in Columbia on Friday

Or at least good players. The state's top high school hitter, Blake DeWitt (Sikeston), will be playing in a double header at Webster Groves Saturday, weather permitting.

DeWitt is a preseason 2nd team All American (Baseball America).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/leagu.../2004preaa.html

He's a likely 2nd round pick in the upcoming June draft. I know of a few fan sites that are keeping track of possible draftees, such as this Brewers site:

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewFeaturedAmate...d=198&draftId=2

So far this year, Sikeston (preseason #50 in the nation...Baseball America) is 13-0 and ranked first in Class 3.

DeWitt may even pitch tomorrow. He broke the state record for consecutive wins last week with his 23 consecutive win (out of 23 decisions).

This is the only time this season, at least during the regular season, that he'll be in the StL area. He's a joy to watch.

Too bad the Cards won't draft him.

Because of rain, this game will now be played at 4 on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by BW23@Apr 23 2004, 11:57 PM
      Or at least good players. The state's top high school hitter, Blake DeWitt (Sikeston), will be playing in a double header at Webster Groves Saturday, weather permitting.

DeWitt is a preseason 2nd team All American (Baseball America).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/leagu.../2004preaa.html

He's a likely 2nd round pick in the upcoming June draft. I know of a few fan sites that are keeping track of possible draftees, such as this Brewers site:

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewFeaturedAmate...d=198&draftId=2

So far this year, Sikeston (preseason #50 in the nation...Baseball America) is 13-0 and ranked first in Class 3.

DeWitt may even pitch tomorrow. He broke the state record for consecutive wins last week with his 23 consecutive win (out of 23 decisions).

This is the only time this season, at least during the regular season, that he'll be in the StL area. He's a joy to watch.

Too bad the Cards won't draft him.
      He was the ball boy as a youngster for my high school basketball team. Great, great hitter. I'm not sure how this translates to the next level though. I haven't seen enough high school baseball or know how to evaluate baseball talent.

Comment

I don't know how scouts translate success to the major league level. But however they do it, they're translating that he'll be successful.

I'll be surprised if he's around at the end of round 2.

Comment

BW23--why do you believe the Cardinals won't draft this guy?
          I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Apr 27 2004, 08:58 AM
            BW23--why do you believe the Cardinals won't draft this guy?
            It's Bush's fault.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Apr 27 2004, 08:59 AM-->
              QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Apr 27 2004, 08:59 AM)

kaiser...I kinda referred to this in the upcoming draft thread. I think they'll lean towards college position players because they're closer to being MLB-ready.

Comment

BW--What is your connection to HS sports in STL? I have been lurking around this site for quite sometime and finally saw my chance to add some input. Dewitt is a quality player....he will go top 3 rounds...
                "Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."

Comment

CRC11...no connection to StL sports. I live close to DeWitt and have seen him on occassion. This is his only trip north to the StL area, at least in the regular season.

Comment

DeWitt is closer to StL again. Not in StL, but close.

His team, Sikeston (24-1) will take on North County (Bonne Terre) (21-3) at Bonne Terre at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Class 3 sectionals.

Sikeston is first in the state while North County is second. North County is also the defending state champions.

So, if you're in the mood for some afternoon baseball, you might want to check out the game. It also might be a good opportunity to talk to some MLB executives...even GMs. A number of them have been to see DeWitt play recently.

His play has picked up even from the last time I posted on this thread. He is currently batting .563 with 13 home runs, 47 runs scored and 42 RBIs.

Baseball America last week rated him the #1 overall hitter in HS in the country. They also said he's a possible first round pick.

Comment

I might have to take Friday off, drive to Bonne Terre for the game and then fish the Big River on Friday. What time's the game?

(Bonne Terre is about 50 minutes south of 270/55. North County HS is right off 67. Not sure where the ballfield is.)
                      Official sponsor of the baseball gods and other missalaneous stuff.

Comment

I want to heckle this kid.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

just...it's Thursday, not Friday. And the game time is at 2 p.m.

Comment

Originally posted by steveInebriated@May 25 2004, 12:37 PM
                            I want to heckle this kid.
                            There will be enough of that from the home crowd, I'm sure.

Not that it will matter. He probably won't see a strike all day.

Comment

• Working...
                              X