The great neo-con calculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great neo-con calculation

In the spirit of Moe's thread regarding their supposed mis-calculation, the author of this article (Paul Craig Roberts - whose libertarian/conservative bona fides are beyond reproach) believes they are actually careful calculations.

Highlights:

"The American public has been deceived and locked on a course toward conscription and a wider war."

"Bush’s neocon overlords have Bush where they and Arial Sharon want him, locked on a course toward wider war, with American troops, supplied by conscription, serving as the legions."

"Betrayed by a media that works as government’s propaganda arm, the American public has no idea of the tragedy that President Bush has prepared for them."

Locked on Course to Wider War
    by Paul Craig Roberts

The American public has been deceived and locked on a course toward conscription and a wider war.

On April 20 Republican Senator Chuck Hagel acknowledged the deceit when he urged the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to support the restoration of compulsory military service. The draft must be reinstated, the Republican Senator said, in order that the US can continue its military occupation of Iraq.

On the same day, top Pentagon officials informed Congress that the promised transfer of sovereignty to Iraq on June 30 is meaningless, as the US military will retain authority to operate unhindered in Iraq regardless of the transfer of "sovereignty." Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz told Congress that June 30 was not "a magical date" that spelled the end of US military rule over Iraq.

No one believes Iraqis will accept sham sovereignty. Far more troops than a volunteer army can provide will be needed to put down their uprising. Thus, Republicans are agitating to reinstate the draft.

President Bush has used every possible opportunity to spread conflagration in the Middle East. In a diplomatic coup d’état, Bush sabotaged the Middle East peace process by agreeing to a Greater Israel via Arial Sharon’s annexation of Palestine’s West Bank. Not content with this affront, our President rubbed salt in Muslim wounds by describing Israel’s murder of Palestinian political leaders as acts of self-defense.

Our Middle Eastern allies – essentially American paid puppets – feel the ground shaking under them. In deference to Muslim outrage, the King of Jordan canceled his scheduled meeting with President Bush, effectively giving the finger to "the most powerful man of earth."

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak said that Bush had created unprecedented "hatred of Americans like never before in the region."

"There was no hatred of Americans," Mubarak said, but "after what has happened in Iraq, there is unprecedented hatred." The image of America as an honest broker is shattered. "The despair and feeling of injustice are not going to be limited to our region alone. American and Israeli interests will not be safe, not only in our region but anywhere in the world," Mubarak said sadly.

Bush’s neocon overlords have Bush where they and Arial Sharon want him, locked on a course toward wider war, with American troops, supplied by conscription, serving as the legions.

Betrayed by a media that works as government’s propaganda arm, the American public has no idea of the tragedy that President Bush has prepared for them.

The Bush administration deceived the American public with fabricated tales of nonexistent Iraqi WMD and nonexistent Iraqi links to Osama bin Laden. Bush sent the American Secretary of State to lie to the UN. Bush gratuitously invaded Iraq and proceeded to destroy what remained of a country sacked by 14 years of sanctions and American bombings.

Bush’s neocon overlords attempted to spread the war into Syria and Iran, but were prevented by the lack of US troops. They did succeed, however, in provoking Iraqi uprisings to keep the pot boiling until they could find some new fuel to pour on the flames.

That has now been done with Bush’s assent to Israel’s annexation of the West Bank.

Having surely provoked further uprisings and further acts of terror, Bush will use the violence he provokes to call for more troops and wider incursions to deal with "thugs and criminals, who are preventing us from bringing freedom to the Middle East."

We are bringing fire and destruction to the Middle East. And to ourselves.

This is exactly what American evangelical Christians desire, according to George Monbiot. In The Guardian (April 20), Monbiot describes the strong support Christian fundamentalists provide for Bush’s Middle Eastern war. "True believers" actively seek to provoke a final battle with the Muslim world. They believe this will usher in the Rapture, and they will be wafted up to heaven, where they will sit at the right hand of God and watch the rest of us endure the Years of Tribulation.

According to Monbiot, "American pollsters believe that 15–18% of US voters belong to churches or movements which subscribe to these teachings. A survey in 1999 suggested that this figure included 33% of Republicans. The best-selling contemporary books in the US are the 12 volumes of the Left Behind series, which provide a fictionalized account of the Rapture."

In 2002 when the US foreign policy community still had a say (it no longer does), Bush asked Sharon to pull his tanks out of Jenin. Angry emails from 100,000 Christian fundamentalists flooded the White House, and Bush never mentioned the matter again.

With the public inattentive, there is no check on the agitation to escalate the Middle Eastern conflict. Prepare to sacrifice your sons to Christian fundamentalist delusion.

April 23, 2004

Dr. Roberts is John M. Olin Fellow at the Institute for Political Economy and Research Fellow at the Independent Institute. He is a former associate editor of the Wall Street Journal and a former assistant secretary of the U.S. Treasury. He is the co-author of The Tyranny of Good Intentions.

Wow. Beautfiully and powerfully stated. I'd like to see some rebuttals, but I am less than optimistic. Thanks for sharing, King.
    The Dude abides.

Comment

Roberts makes some seriously good points.

My only nits to pick would be the following:

a) Mubarak has been - and continues to be - a disgrace as "President" of Egypt. He has fomented active anti-American hatred as an oppressive ruler. His testimony here is to be discounted.

B) While a draft may be in the future, the re-deployment of troops from Germany, Korea, and other venues will put that date off into the future.

I've said this many times - short of a radical re-evaluation of our relationship with Israel, there will be plenty of opportunities to become "intimately familiar" with our enemies.
      And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

No one believes Iraqis will accept sham sovereignty
        Dishonest and untrue statement.

President Bush has used every possible opportunity to spread conflagration in the Middle East
        Agreed, bring these things to a head, and demand realization. Political coercion and subtle undermining really had such a great track record, I am surprised we find it necessary to change course.

Our Middle Eastern allies – essentially American paid puppets – feel the ground shaking under them. In deference to Muslim outrage, the King of Jordan canceled his scheduled meeting with President Bush
        Muslim outrage? New since 1/20/01. Amazing how he easily glosses over the previous decade of such emotion.

"There was no hatred of Americans," Mubarak said
        That obviously is a lie, and for roberts to even cosider this quote as justification for his argument is evidence of his agenda and failure to absorb and consider all pertinent factors.

Bush gratuitously invaded Iraq and proceeded to destroy what remained of a country sacked by 14 years of sanctions and American bombings.
        We certainly helped to devastate the common Iraqi with those sanctions. I am not sure that our regime change compounds that. It may very well help to reverse course.

Bush’s neocon overlords attempted to spread the war into Syria and Iran, but were prevented by the lack of US troops
        Only because they are just as complicit in state snctioned terror as the regimes in Afghanistan and Iarq.

With the public inattentive, there is no check on the agitation to escalate the Middle Eastern conflict.
        Again, a key statement that indicates the true absurdity of this particular article from Roberts. The public, world wide is 1000 times more attentive now than ever before to the tensions of the MidEast region.

This is exactly what American evangelical Christians desire, according to George Monbiot. In The Guardian (April 20), Monbiot describes the strong support Christian fundamentalists provide for Bush’s Middle Eastern war. "True believers" actively seek to provoke a final battle with the Muslim world. They believe this will usher in the Rapture, and they will be wafted up to heaven, where they will sit at the right hand of God and watch the rest of us endure the Years of Tribulation.
        So is this for oil, imperial capitalism or religion? Or all of the above?

King, I know you are highly religious. Do you find yourself in more or less agreement now.

Prepare to sacrifice your sons to Christian fundamentalist delusion.
        Ah, now he comes clean. Just another person so unsure about their own self worth and pupose in life that he must attach deviant religious undertones to all issues, and highlight faith of others as reasons to distrust.

I respect Roberts, to a point. But engaging in the same misrepresentation and ignorance of the factors that led is to this point is absurd and clouds a good majority of his recent ramblings. To disagree with the current strategy is fine, even necessary. To maintain the conflict begin on 1/20/01 is obviously "a sham" and motivated more by personal vendetta than good intentions for the public.

Thanks Paul, you have proven to be just another political crony.

here, from another figure whose "libertarian/conservative bona fides are beyond reproach" Like that really means something. (If only in real life, all the pieces fit in a puzzle)

Unfortunately, the biggest failure of our government will be ignored. I'm sure the Commission will not connect our foreign policy of interventionism – practiced by both major parties for over a hundred years – as an important reason 9/11 occurred. Instead, the claims will stand that the motivation behind 9/11 was our freedom, prosperity, and way of life. If this error persists, all the tinkering and money to improve the intelligence agencies will bear little fruit...
        This misdirected policy has prompted the current protracted war in Iraq, which has gone on for 13 years with no end in sight.
        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

King,

Excellent article, says much of the same things as the article linked in my signature does.

We cant get Bush out of the White House quick enough.

Daze,

Nice try at a rebuttal, but no dice.

Are you one of those Christian Fundamentalists that believes in this statement, by any chance?

"True believers" actively seek to provoke a final battle with the Muslim world. They believe this will usher in the Rapture, and they will be wafted up to heaven, where they will sit at the right hand of God and watch the rest of us endure the Years of Tribulation.
          I know there has to be at least one on this board, but it isnt hard for me to see why whoever it is would want to keep that a secret.
          “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Are you one of those Christian Fundamentalists that believes in this statement, by any chance?
            You've got a severe phobia going on here, man.

Comment

lazy:

Wow. Your shots at PCR take me by suprise.

But it is further proof how quickly war can turn friends against one another. He's against it. You're for it. You probably agree with him on just about everything else. Nevertheless, danger lies ahead because of that one disagreement.

Now, to some of your points:

Just "another political crony"?????????

Where did that come from? What political cronyism is he betraying? PCR is providing the type of criticism from the right that JD consistently mentions as most valid - and I agree with JD completely on this.

And I'm not sure what lurks behind some "political vendetta" he might have. He distrusts the government and especially the Bush Administration. What is his agenda? Maybe I've missed it.

The American Conservative's latest cover is entitled "Pinocchio Presidency." (Note: I couldn't resist the avatar for a few days!)

Supporters of this Administration need to be careful. I may agree with you that a Kerry presidency could be a disaster. But I will not say that another Bush term could be a good thing. I believe this Administration is run by dishonest men. Just as I believe the entire Democratic Party is run by dishonest men. We're in a bad spot, you might say.

By the way, I'm a traditionalist (i.e. Latin Mass) Catholic. The Christian fundamentalists do turn me off because I believe many of them are delusional. They come close to worshipping power (I'm choosing my words carefully and trying to avoid sweeping generalizations). When they broke with the Augustinian principles of the Catholic faith, many of them lost the distinction between the City of God and the City of Man.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 24 2004, 09:41 AM
                You've got a severe phobia going on here, man.
                I just asked a simple question.

I didnt invite commentary from idiots like you.
                “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Crawl back under the bed, Razzy. It's almost Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 24 2004, 10:20 AM
                    Crawl back under the bed, Razzy. It's almost Sunday.
                    You are obsessed with what you believe my phobia and obsession is.

Ask King in KC if I have a point about Christian Fundamentalism or not. I know you respect his opinions, even if you dont respect mine. No matter how many times I am right and you are wrong.

Comment

No matter how many times I am right and you are wrong.
                      This is the level of discussion I'd expect out of a 13-year-old girl.

And you.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 24 2004, 10:24 AM
                        No matter how many times I am right and you are wrong.
                        This is the level of discussion I'd expect out of a 13-year-old girl.

And you.
                        You are obsessed with what you believe my phobia and obsession is.

Ask King in KC if I have a point about Christian Fundamentalism or not. I know you respect his opinions, even if you dont respect mine.

Comment

What we're seeing is a political realignment.

Many Christian conservatives have "made peace" with the welfare state and many disaffected leftists from the 60's now control the international agenda.

I suppose it was only natural, as their former party was overrun in 1972 by counterculture McGoverniks.
                          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

King, I admit I was a bit rough on Roberts. Maybe it was because I was taken aback by the shallowness of the article.
                            He seemed to follow the same path as many others. Missing the forest because of the trees.

To even begin to claim that some "new" "policy" or some fundamentalist take over is asinine. We arrived on this precipice because of our capitalistic imperialism of the last 6 decades. What we are doing is nothing new. We’ve lost sons and daughters (soldiers) everyday, not just the last year. The Iraq war may be questionable, but of all the "actions" we have sacrificed soldiers lives for in recent history. this by far has more potential.

We agree, both parties are basically dishonest. Although it really is a game we force them to play. It's not even considered dishonest to them. The kerry presidency will be no more or less a disaster than any other. The ball is already in motion. So why change. Lets get some resolution.
                            I'm just hoping for another tax cut. The only way to rein in leviathan is to decrease revenue.

Traditionalist, fundamentalist, wahabiism. Whichever...It’s a vehicle. It’s a guide. Hopefully those that follow the path all end up at the same destination.
                            Those that use religion to control are all about power. I too am being somewhat cautious of what I say.
                            Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

In thinking about this, I can't buy PCR's thesis that the cabal is so smart they are failing on purpose. I believe they are failing legitimately, due to group think and arrogance.

FYI, Frontline this week will examine the bond between Bush and the Christian Right.

Moe
                              The Dude abides.

Comment

Working...
                              X