The great neo-con miscalculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great neo-con miscalculation

From an article on the Riyadh suicide bombing, from a SA-based NYT reporter...the article is about the Saudi backlash against al Queda's killing of Muslims, but the Arab street seems far from subdued...our policy seems to be: "the beatings will continue until morale improves"...do GWB's defenders here believe the loathing of the US in the ME will change anytime soon - barring the US standing up to Isreal ?

Saudis Support a Jihad in Iraq, Not Back Home
    By NEIL MacFARQUHAR
    Published: April 23, 2004

IYADH, Saudi Arabia, April 22 — On Wednesday morning, just hours before a suicide bomber demolished a Saudi police building in downtown Riyadh, the family of a young man was accepting congratulations for his death in the jihad over the border in Iraq, the one that enjoys no small support here.

"He went to Iraq seeking martyrdom because of the recent events there," Abdullah al-Enezi said of his younger brother Majid, who was training to be a computer technician.

"America's unjust policy toward the Muslims is the main reason," Mr. Enezi said by telephone from the family home in Al Kharj, a town just south of Riyadh. "Everyone feels this humiliation; he's not alone, there are so many young men who wish they could cross over into Iraq to join the jihad, but they can't. Thank God he was blessed with the ability to go."

In Saudi Arabia, a strategic ally of the United States, violence against the occupation in Iraq is seen by many as jihad, or a holy struggle, but virtually no one accepts violence as jihad when it unrolls here at home, in the heart of what is supposed to be the most Muslim of countries.

In Iraq, attacks by American troops serve as evidence to some that the United States occupation of a Muslim land must be reversed. Requests for God to avenge American actions pour down from mosque minarets, and some women university students sport Osama bin Laden T-shirts under their enveloping abayas to show their approval for his calls to resist the United States.
    The Dude abides.

do GWB's defenders here believe the loathing of the US in the ME will change anytime soon - barring the US standing up to Isreal ?
    Where have you seen a single person say this?

They're going to hate us no matter WHAT we do or don't do.

Comment

"America's unjust policy toward the Muslims is the main reason," Mr. Enezi said
      Exactly WHAT, pray tell, Mr. Enezi, is America's "unjust policty" toward Muslims?

Comment

"He went to Iraq seeking martyrdom because of the recent events there
        Would it be inapropriate to say...good.
        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Would it be inapropriate to say...good.
          Got any brothers? Line 'em up. Martyrdom while U wait.

Comment

All martyrdom candidates, take one step forward.
            And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

from an interview with the BBC in March, 03...available on the DoD website...

Q: Can you explain, in terms of your preparation for what comes after, if you like, are we going to see the slow establishment of new control in the areas that you control? Perhaps before even Baghdad is taken under control. Is it going to be a stepped process? How is it going to unfold?

Wolfowitz: The focus has got to be on removing this criminal regime. Until the regime is gone it's going to be very hard to do anything. Even in cities that are liberated. I think when the people of Basra no longer feel the threat of that regime, you are going to see an explosion of joy and relief. But right now they're still under threat, they're still not convinced. Saddam is still maybe alive as certainly his goons and his assassination squads are still there. Once that's gone, I think things can move very quickly.

I don't want to say we can do as well, but if you go back and see what happened in Northern Iraq 12 years ago with the help of the Kurds and a lot of other allies including the British, we were able to kick the Iraqi army out of the northern third of the country. We were able to hand it over to Iraqi administration in six months. It was phenomenal.
              The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 23 2004, 02:56 PM
                Exactly WHAT, pray tell, Mr. Enezi, is America's "unjust policty" toward Muslims?
                Bosnia?
                Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Apr 23 2004, 02:00 PM

I don't want to say we can do as well, but if you go back and see what happened in Northern Iraq 12 years ago with the help of the Kurds and a lot of other allies including the British, we were able to kick the Iraqi army out of the northern third of the country. We were able to hand it over to Iraqi administration in six months. It was phenomenal.
                  Do you argree that it was phenomal?
                  Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 23 2004, 02:56 PM
                    One recent example, in the words of Pat Buchanan: "outsourcing" our Isreal-Palestine foreign policy to Ariel Sharon.
                    The Dude abides.

Comment

Moe --

Make you a deal, buddy. Friday special deal. Since 90 percent of what you post seems to be concerned with contrasting the rosy predictions with the ugly reality, let's say we grant that they were all wrong, wrong, wrong about everything, and evil and stupid and ugly to boot.

OK. You got that one. You were always right, we/they were always wrong, whatever, you win, you got it.

'kay?

That said, NOW what are you going to talk about? Do you have anything else to contribute to the discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze+Apr 23 2004, 03:02 PM-->
                        QUOTE (lazydaze @ Apr 23 2004, 03:02 PM)

Originally posted by lazydaze+Apr 23 2004, 03:02 PM-->
                        QUOTE (lazydaze @ Apr 23 2004, 03:02 PM)

One recent example, in the words of Pat Buchanan: "outsourcing" our Isreal-Palestine foreign policy to Ariel Sharon.
                        That's directed at Muslims, is it?

Comment

I believe it was.

Had we followed through that time, this time wouldn't be as difficult.

But, French underwear would have gotten in a wad, so we didn't.
                          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

• Working...
                            X