Black artists integrated into the battle of bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black artists integrated into the battle of bands

There were about 25 black artists entered in the battle of the bands. Three have survived to the final 16. The Temptations, of course their biggest competition was obscure guitarist Chuck Berry. Their next foe is the Beatles. good luck. Stevie Wonder is still there. He might beat Elvis. Miles Davis. Like me, a lot of you have spent long hours listening to Bitch's Brew, and cast your votes on the basis of how much he rocks, not because you happen to have heard he is something really cool. He will be up against the Who. Maybe no blacks will be among the final eight. Keep practicing, boys. You might have a significant impact on American music, yet.
    v

Where's Eddie Kendricks? How can we forget "Kung Fu Fighting?"

Comment

You might have a significant impact on American music, yet.
      Speaking of which, Paul McCartney in this week's Newsweek, on why he hasn't retired: "I'm going to keep at this until I can write a decent song. I'll get there."

(OK, Paul haters, have at it, but _I_thought it was very funny.)

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 23 2004, 02:40 PM
        Speaking of which, Paul McCartney in this week's Newsweek, on why he hasn't retired: "I'm going to keep at this until I can write a decent song. I'll get there."

I don't hate him, but there is an arrogance in self-deprecating humour when you assume everyone will think it is side-splittingly funny.
        v

Comment

Well, sure.....but I guess he's earned the right to make the occasional joke like that.

Had it been Milli Vanilli, however....

Comment

I could care less what color somebody is when they play their music. They can be green or red. I might like their music or I might not.
            Sponsor of:
            Brian Elliott
            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Guppy, when was the last time you saw someone green making music?

I thought so.

Comment

Originally posted by kjoe@Apr 23 2004, 02:37 PM
                There were about 25 black artists entered in the battle of the bands. Three have survived to the final 16. The Temptations, of course their biggest competition was obscure guitarist Chuck Berry. Their next foe is the Beatles. good luck. Stevie Wonder is still there. He might beat Elvis. Miles Davis. Like me, a lot of you have spent long hours listening to Bitch's Brew, and cast your votes on the basis of how much he rocks, not because you happen to have heard he is something really cool. He will be up against the Who. Maybe no blacks will be among the final eight. Keep practicing, boys. You might have a significant impact on American music, yet.
                Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 23 2004, 02:47 PM

I thought so.
                  How come Kermit wasn't in this contest?
                  v

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 23 2004, 03:47 PM

I thought so.
                    Jim Morrison when he was all doped up.
                    Sponsor of:
                    Brian Elliott
                    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy+Apr 23 2004, 02:54 PM-->
                      QUOTE (Guppy @ Apr 23 2004, 02:54 PM)

There were 28 "black" artists couting Sly and the family stone and Parliament who had some white and black members. There were 96 bands/artists in the tournament. The final 16 now has 3 black artists. So black artists comprised 29% of the particiapants at the start and 3 rounds later have 18%. Now I am no statistical genius but since this is not just a random sampling a drop in percentages is not out of realm of possibility and the chances of it happening are actually pretty great. Black artists were outnumbered so much in the start that it would be inconcievalble for them to gain any percentage later. In this type of situation a minority choice will continue to lose its percentages and the majority will continue to gain through the rounds.

If the situation were reversed and black artists held such a large majority in the beginning their % share would continue to grow at the expense of a competing group as the tournament continued despite the supposed racist leanings of the boards voters.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 23 2004, 02:40 PM

Paul McCartney is a musical genius in every sense of the word.
                        Jimmy Buffett quote of the week:

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

- Jimmy Buffett, Take it Back, Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads Box Set

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

Comment

Originally posted by thetorch@Apr 23 2004, 03:58 PM
                          There were 28 "black" artists couting Sly and the family stone and Parliament who had some white and black members. There were 96 bands/artists in the tournament. The final 16 now has 3 black artists. So black artists comprised 29% of the particiapants at the start and 3 rounds later have 18%. Now I am no statistical genius but since this is not just a random sampling a drop in percentages is not out of realm of possibility and the chances of it happening are actually pretty great. Black artists were outnumbered so much in the start that it would be inconcievalble for them to gain any percentage later. In this type of situation a minority choice will continue to lose its percentages and the majority will continue to gain through the rounds.

If the situation were reversed and black artists held such a large majority in the beginning their % share would continue to grow at the expense of a competing group as the tournament continued despite the supposed racist leanings of the boards voters.
                          If the Temptations beat the Beatles and Stevie Wonder knocks off Elvis and Miles knocks out the Who, then blacks will be up to 37.5 percent of the final eight. Something tells me it will be closer to zero.
                          v

Comment

Originally posted by davel+Apr 23 2004, 04:38 PM-->
                            QUOTE (davel @ Apr 23 2004, 04:38 PM)
                            Originally posted by [email protected] 23 2004, 02:54 PM
                            Working...
                            X