SI rips TLR's lineup decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI rips TLR's lineup decisions

Managers need to think outside the traditional construct of a lineup. Cardinals skipper Tony La Russa stuck with the speedy table-setters notion by batting Tony Womack and Marlon Anderson one-two, even though their career on-base percentages (.316 and .317, respectively) are well below average. That pushed Edgar Renteria, a much better hitter who should bat first or second, to sixth unnecessarily.
    A couple of things from Albert Chen's baseball section called "Three Strikes":
    1) he rips this move, but thus far, it has worked better than anyone ever woulda though. Although I still agree Edgar should be in the top two spots, the leadoff spot has been great this year.
    2) when, outside maybe once or twice, has womack and anderson batted one-two? he makes it sound like that's been the regular lineup.

he also took this shot at our old pal:

For those who took the over on seven games in the J.D. Drew injury pool, better luck next time.
    has he been lurking at the lounge or something?
    Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Meanwhile, the Cardinals average six or seven runs a game.

STFU, SI.

Comment

I think Womack has seven walks and seven strikeouts, and he does work the count. I don't know if that will last, but he's really been fine so far. I don't recall Womack and Anderson batting first and second in a game--it's been either Womack or Anderson, then Lankford or Sanders or Taguchi, to my recollection.

Lankford's done well, but Sanders doesn't belong up there.

Even for me, who has griped about where Renteria has hit repeatedly, it's tough to argue with the results from the offense.

And I truly believe that La Russa is one manager who does think outside the construct of a traditional lineup. He's proven that repeatedly.
      I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Apr 23 2004, 01:55 PM

And I truly believe that La Russa is one manager who does think outside the construct of a traditional lineup. He's proven that repeatedly.
        P in the 8 hole...
        The Dude abides.

Comment

I don't like LaRussa's fascination with the right left right left thing. Rolen had 23 rbi through last Saturday (12 games), and he batted cleanup a lot. Since moving Edmonds into that spot, Rolen has 3 rbi in 4 games, and there has been no need to pitch to pujolz. Edmonds' grand slam when we already had 8 runs notwithstanding, I thought the production was better with Rolen batting after Pujolz. At least he should have waited for Rolen to cool off before making the change.
          v

Comment

KJoe:

I think Rolen has only batted cleanup when the other team had a lefthander starting. And I think that's been about 4 or 5 games so far this year.

You mentioned La Russa's "fascination" with the left-right thing. I don't think he's the only guy who thinks that way, but watching the Houston series, Jimy Williams doesn't think that way. They don't have a lot of lefthanded hitters in their starting lineup, but Berkman, a switch hitter, doesn't hit until 5th in the order, behind 4 righthanded hitters. And at this point in his career, Berkman might be their best hitter.

Not sure I understand that.
            I'm always right.

Comment

kaiser's right (big surprise).

Rolen has only hit cleanup in 4 games or so this year. He has 16 ABs (4 RBI) there compared to 50 in the 5 spot (22 RBI). His OPS is 273 points higher in the five spot.

I'd still like to see Renteria at the top part of the lineup. But TLR will stick with Womack leading off, I have no doubt about that. Would anyone rather have Lankford and Renteria switched? I'm not sure I would at this point.

Comment

Ray is making the lineup work so far....as is Womack. No need to mess with anything right now.

As long as infielders stay in the infield, that is.

Comment

Does Luna get rewarded with a start tonight, or does Anderson get it?

I'm guessing Luna goes back to rotting on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by BW23@Apr 23 2004, 02:28 PM
                    kaiser's right (big surprise).

Rolen has only hit cleanup in 4 games or so this year. He has 16 ABs (4 RBI) there compared to 50 in the 5 spot (22 RBI). His OPS is 273 points higher in the five spot.

I'd still like to see Renteria at the top part of the lineup. But TLR will stick with Womack leading off, I have no doubt about that. Would anyone rather have Lankford and Renteria switched? I'm not sure I would at this point.
                    I appreciate the lesson. I was pissed off last Sunday, and I did not do the research I should have.
                    v

Comment

Although I am sure I will gripe later in the season about the lineup, it has worked great so far. La Russa's been right. Don't mess with it. With the exception that Sanders shouldn't bat in the second spot.

BW23, you usually have good info--any idea what they're doing about a trade with Cleveland to get the Luna thing worked out? Some of us were talking about this before--I'd rather he play in Memphis than sit on the bench in St. Louis.
                      I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Apr 23 2004, 02:44 PM
                        BW23, you usually have good info--any idea what they're doing about a trade with Cleveland to get the Luna thing worked out? Some of us were talking about this before--I'd rather he play in Memphis than sit on the bench in St. Louis.
                        I'd rather he play in Memphis as well. However, to do so, the Cleveland part of it wouldn't be a problem. They could probably work out a trade there. The problem would be that he'd have to clear waivers to be sent down. I'm not sure that would happen. (Of course, I saw posted elsewhere that Cleveland would actually want him back. But they'd also have to put him on waivers to send him down.)

It's worth a try, assuming they can pull him back and keep him up. Or maybe the longer they keep him up, the easier it will be. (I'm assuming that he won't have very good numbers playing as sparingly as he has.)

But right now, I don't see any way that he goes to Memphis.

Comment

Thanks. I guess I was operating under the false assumption that if a trade was worked out with Cleveland, the Cards could do what they want with him. Sounds like he's on the big club all year then. And that's cool with me as long as he gets to play more.

I'd like to see him be the first infielder (2nd, SS, 3rd) off the bench. He needs to play.
                          I'm always right.

Comment

Well, normally, a player from the Rule 5 draft can be sent down without having to clear waivers. A trade with the original club, as you thought, simply has to be worked out.

For some reason, and I'm not sure why, he'd have to clear waivers. I don't think 3 option years have been used. After all, this is just his first year in the bigs, so I would think he'd have two years after this left. So I'm really not sure why, but I read this in a couple of places.

But then, if Joe Strauss was the one to write it, then maybe it's not true after all.

Comment

Where is Kah to straighten out the SI guy?

Saying Edgar should hit first or second could get somebody killed.
                              Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Working...
                              X