French business deals with Saddam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French business deals with Saddam

Remember all the uproar about how the French had made so much money from Saddam, and that's why they were against the war? Well, look who made a personal fortune dealing with Saddam - through French companies, no less!

So, anyone think the "oil-for-food" scandals will hit Halliburton?

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/index.html

Cheney's business with Saddam

From a Wall Street Journal story today on U.S. companies that did business with Iraq in the 1990s. Those companies include ... you guessed it: Dick Cheney's Halliburton.

"Halliburton, which has won business in the Gulf country since the war, did tens of millions of dollars of business with Iraq in the late 1990s, when it was still led by the current U.S. vice president, Dick Cheney. Much of that business was done through French units. Halliburton won more than $30 million worth of deals with Mr. Hussein's Iraq in the 1990s, U.N. documents show."

"The largest part came when Mr. Cheney led the company from 1996 to 2000. Mr. Cheney said during the 2000 election campaign that Halliburton had a policy against trading with Iraq. The Halliburton contracts mentioned in the U.N. documents involved units and joint ventures that came with the purchase of Dresser Inc. in 1998. Those units were sold from December 1999 to April 2001. 'Contracts were initiated prior to the merger,' a spokeswoman for Halliburton said."

"But at least one French unit, Dresser-Rand SA, part of a joint venture in which Halliburton had a 51% stake, registered $6 million of oil spare-parts sales with the U.N. oil-for-food program between 1998 and 2000, after Halliburton acquired Dresser, U.N. documents show. Ingersoll Dresser Pump Co., the French unit of another joint venture, signed about $25 million of Iraqi contracts at a time when Halliburton owned 49%, documents show."
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Haven't we already discussed this? As I recall it was some foreign subsidiaries of Halliburton that had dealings with a French company which was doing business with Iraq.

From what I recall last time, there was nothing illegal about the transaction. Has something changed?
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Yes, yes, yes, but what does Cheney think of 50 cent?
      I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by FAR52@Apr 23 2004, 12:54 PM
        Haven't we already discussed this? As I recall it was some foreign subsidiaries of Halliburton that had dealings with a French company which was doing business with Iraq.

From what I recall last time, there was nothing illegal about the transaction. Has something changed?
        Well I don't think it was illegal, but when it was illegal to do business with Iraq, to use a foreign company so you can skirt that law, and then be the Vice President of the United States........

What the definition of is is.....
        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks+Apr 23 2004, 11:57 AM-->
          QUOTE (madyaks @ Apr 23 2004, 11:57 AM)

Well I don't think it was illegal
          I already said that...

But I also think if you want to deal in technicalities, if you want to split hairs, Clinton didn't lie because the definition of sex that the judge gave didn't include Monica doing what she did.

But I thought the republican party said lets not split hairs. So Bill was wrong, and so is Dick.

But Like I said it's not about illegal or not, it's about Dick saying his company didn't do business with Iraq, they did, there is no doubt about it.
          Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Apr 23 2004, 12:10 PM
            Well I don't think it was illegal
            I already said that...

But I also think if you want to deal in technicalities, if you want to split hairs, Clinton didn't lie because the definition of sex that the judge gave didn't include Monica doing what she did.

But I thought the republican party said lets not split hairs. So Bill was wrong, and so is Dick.

But Like I said it's not about illegal or not, it's about Dick saying his company didn't do business with Iraq, they did, there is no doubt about it.
            Clinton? What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Ok, so you acknowledge the transaction was legal. Do you happen to recall the nature of the transaction and whether it is the type of subcontract that the CEO would know about? I really don't recall.

Thanks

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

as per GOP instructions....the buck stops.....nowhere
              Are you on the list?

Comment

We need to leave the politics out of this and get back on topic please.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo@Apr 23 2004, 12:27 PM
                  We need to leave the politics out of this and get back on topic please.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Apr 23 2004, 12:25 PM
                    as per GOP instructions....the buck stops.....nowhere
                    So he did know about it?

Comment

Originally posted by FAR52+Apr 23 2004, 12:31 PM-->
                      QUOTE (FAR52 @ Apr 23 2004, 12:31 PM)

Originally posted by SLUBLUE+Apr 23 2004, 12:34 PM-->
                      QUOTE (SLUBLUE @ Apr 23 2004, 12:34 PM)
                      Originally posted by [email protected] 23 2004, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by FAR52+Apr 23 2004, 01:22 PM-->
                      QUOTE (FAR52 @ Apr 23 2004, 01:22 PM)

Are you guys equally appalled with France, Russia, etc.?

I would hope you no longer use their war opposition in your arguments that we acted unilaterally.

For the record, if Cheney is guilty of these accusations, it's pretty inappropriate - even if legal.
                      "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

• Working...
                        X