Earth Day - 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth Day - 2004

On this earth day the battle seems to have shifted from open debate about what we can and should do - to closed debate as to whether or not the debate even matters.

While good natured environmental programs have urged that we recyle and reuse - SUV's have never been more popular and shown no signs of waning.

What can and should be done to put this once important issue into the fore front of discussion again and how can you make people care about something that to most is not a real threat now.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

I chased a couple of squirrels up a tree this morning.
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Anybody care
      No.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Apr 22 2004, 01:05 PM
        Anybody care
        No.
        That's okay kid - you are younger than all of us and will have to do most of the cleaning up.

How you been? How are the college apps coming?

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I hate SUV's. I can see an outdoorsie family getting one, but these damn soccer moms (not trying to be mean) that never go where they need the power and drive all over town are killing us. Just get a van, and if you don't have a huge family, get a freakin' car.

I don't have a lot of room to talk, driving a pickup, but it doesn't do that bad gas wise, and I don't drive it all over the place.
          Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

I live a pretty green life as it is.

But yes, I care.
            Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever@Apr 22 2004, 02:16 PM
              I hate SUV's. I can see an outdoorsie family getting one, but these damn soccer moms (not trying to be mean) that never go where they need the power and drive all over town are killing us. Just get a van, and if you don't have a huge family, get a freakin' car.

I don't have a lot of room to talk, driving a pickup, but it doesn't do that bad gas wise, and I don't drive it all over the place.
              My issue is with people who eat to obiesty, drink to oblivion, smoke tobacco, and gamble until they're broke, and then turn around and sue for their foolishness.
              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev+Apr 22 2004, 01:21 PM-->
                QUOTE (The Kev @ Apr 22 2004, 01:21 PM)

Originally posted by The Kev+Apr 22 2004, 02:21 PM-->
                QUOTE (The Kev @ Apr 22 2004, 02:21 PM)

Good questions, Schwahalala. There is generally a lot of apathy or even animosity towards environmental causes in this country right now. I don't know how you make people care about the earth. If we can't stop people from throwing trash out their car window I don't know how we can expect them to ever care about air or water pollution.

The most effective anti-littering sign I've seen so far is along the tollway here in Dallas. No, not the "Don't Mess With Texas" campaign. It's a simple green highway sign that says "Litter Costs You Money". It's true. They've gotta pay somebody to pick up that crap. Our tax dollars at work.

Most environmental concerns get shot down because either "it doesn't matter" or "it costs too much". How do we convince people otherwise?
                You can't kill terror
                So let's declare war
                There's so many dead that we can't keep score

Comment

This is quite far down on my priority list. So much, in fact, its not even on my radar.
                  When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by big d note@Apr 22 2004, 02:36 PM
                    Good questions, Schwahalala. There is generally a lot of apathy or even animosity towards environmental causes in this country right now. I don't know how you make people care about the earth. If we can't stop people from throwing trash out their car window I don't know how we can expect them to ever care about air or water pollution.

The most effective anti-littering sign I've seen so far is along the tollway here in Dallas. No, not the "Don't Mess With Texas" campaign. It's a simple green highway sign that says "Litter Costs You Money". It's true. They've gotta pay somebody to pick up that crap. Our tax dollars at work.

Most environmental concerns get shot down because either "it doesn't matter" or "it costs too much". How do we convince people otherwise?
                    Man - that's the billion dollar queston. A coral reef is dying out - Glaciers are melting - trees are creeping into environments that before was too cold for them - and the majority doesn't seem to care -

The effort needed to stop pollution and then clean it up - seems almost impossible - but we have to try.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Are you guys serious? Haven't you heard? We're going to fucking Mars man. And the moon. Moon bases and Mars colonies for all Americans. We're going to leave this hell hole to the A-rabs.

Vive Le Bush.

Comment

The problem is that the changes are gradual, so it's easy for people to ignore them.

WinstonSmith and the others that don't care about Earth Day or the environment - why not? Seriously. Why is this not even on your radar?
                        You can't kill terror
                        So let's declare war
                        There's so many dead that we can't keep score

Comment

On behalf of all environmental professionals, like myself, who spend our days and nights protecting the citizenry from pollution, I say:

You're Welcome, you ungrateful bastards.
                          2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

• Working...
                            X