Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Briggs leaves Channel 5

Read all aboot'it

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

At least they didnt give the sports director job to a white guy.

Briggs would have never let that die. He would have played the race car until they elected him prez of KSDK.
    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Briggs was the best the place had.

He should have been Director.

I hate channel 5.
      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Briggs has pissed off the minority groups in STL.

Not sure what it was, I didnt hear it all. Seems odd. They picketed and things.

Any one find a link?

Comment

No idea what you're talking about.

I know he owns a construction company, though. Maybe that has something to do w/ it.
          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

says Dan Caesar

Comment

I have mixed emotions. His pseudo-hip way of delivering the sports never quite ringed true to me. It was like he was 'trying to hard'.

Nor can I remember one particular interview or 'exclusive' that he reported.

On the other hand, I think he's a nice fellow who married VERY well. She's a doll!

Maybe Chicagoland would do well for him. More likely, Memphis.

Comment

What's the deal with his contruction company? The article reminded me of some other local media guy suggesting he's merely the front man for a company that's really owned by a bunch of whites, er, caucasions, err, personnas de la noncolor...so as to qualify for contracts earmarked for minorities.
                Official sponsor of the baseball gods and other missalaneous stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Apr 21 2004, 11:04 AM
                  Briggs was the best the place had.

He should have been Director.

I hate channel 5.
                  I agree with this.

To this day, I can't figure out why Channel Five went outside the station to find a new Director when they had Briggs and Frank Cusumano (sorry guys, I like Cusumano).

But, then again, Mike Bush was the Director of Sports for a long time and he was promoted-I can't stand the guy.

It makes you wonder just how much politics is the guiding force at News Channel Five!
                  Jimmy Buffett quote of the week:

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

- Jimmy Buffett, Take it Back, Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads Box Set

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

Comment

Tons.

I can't stand Mike Bush now and I refuse to watch Ch5 "news." Though i have tuned in for the weather and sports on that station.

That was until I saw Penny Not.

Comment

I think Malcolm's delivery of the sports is top-notch. That doesn't always equate to being cut out for sports director. I will miss him. :(
                      The Redman

Sponsorship Available
                      Official Sponsor of Rafael Furcal

Comment

I liked him all right but his constant references to K. St. were obnoxious as hell. I think he or Frank (I like him too, Scott) should have been sports director. Rene NOT is not the answer. I think he is a complete NOThing.
                        RIP Stan the Man
                        The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                        I miss TLR!

Comment

I always saw that it seems Briggs would do as little as he could while there. He did an ok job at what he did though.

So he has some business on the side? Doesn't Frankie C have that family business too? I wish he would leave too. But that will not make me watch KSDK at all. Just less to talk about with them.
                          Sponsor of:
                          Brian Elliott
                          Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                          5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Minority contractors protest local TV sports anchor

06:41 PM CDT on Wednesday, April 21, 2004

St. Louis (KMOV) -- Minority contractors accuse KSDK-TV sports anchor Malcolm Briggs of being a front man for a phony minority firm.

Protestors say Briggs has received contracts from Metro and Lambert Airport valued at $2 million. KMOV-TV could not confirm that figure.

Protestors say Channel 5 has known about his business for nearly a year.

The concerned citizens coalition claims the companies don't meet requirements for a minority owned firm and has asked the city to investigate Briggs' involvement in his companies.

Briggs, according to his attorney, is the only owner of ICR Construction. The company based in Earth City is a certified Minority owned business with Metro and the city of St. Louis.

Briggs through his attorney says he has several black and female employees.

Briggs' attorney says Briggs is not a front man and that he's worked full time at Channel 5 and ICR for a year, plus working radio jobs connected with the Rams.

The city doesn't require any minority owned company to hire any minorities to be certified and receive contracts.

The city requires that the minority owns at least 51 percent of the business and controls and manages the day-to-day operation of the company. The city has thrown 30 companies out of the program for being ineligible.

Briggs' company is under investigation, but is still certified and doing business with the city.

Briggs leaves Channel 5 in a month and will focus on his contracting business.

KSDK-TV general manager Lynn Beal declined to comment.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Thanks James

Comment

Working...
                              X