Right-wing columnists slam Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right-wing columnists slam Bush

They slam Bush and admit their own ignorance. Guys - some of us were saying these things all along, but you were too busy questioning our patriotism to listen.

Excerpts below - read the entire article.
    http://www.salon.com/opinion/right_hook/20...bush/index.html

In Saturday's New York Times, conservative commentator David Brooks aired a striking change of heart in a column titled "A More Humble Hawk." In light of mounting unrest and a spike in U.S. casualties (as of Tuesday evening, at least 100 soldiers have been killed in action since April 1), Brooks conceded, "The first thing to say is that I never thought it would be this bad" and "I did not appreciate how our very presence in Iraq would overshadow democratization." Though with cautious words, Brooks faults the Bush administration for more than a failure of imagination.

"Let me describe my attitude toward the Bush administration. Despite all that's happened, I was still stirred by [Friday's] Bush/Blair statements about democracy in the Middle East. Nonetheless, over the past two years many conservatives have grown increasingly exasperated with the administration's inability to execute its policies semicompetently."

Even though hard-line hawks urged a U.S. invasion of Iraq with or without U.N. support, Brooks now slams the administration for not heeding his neoconservative friends' advice about building a coalition for the reconstruction.

"Many of us also assumed, wrongly, that the administration would launch a fresh postwar initiative to globalize the reconstruction effort. My friends at the Project for the New American Century urged the U.S. to go to the U.N. for a reconstruction resolution, to build a broad coalition to aid rebuilding and to establish a NATO-led security force. That never happened."

Writing in the April 26 issue of leading neconservative magazine, the Weekly Standard, editors William Kristol and Robert Kagan are more blunt about the administration's deep policy problems.

"While we certainly do not hold the administration responsible for everything that has gone wrong in Iraq, it is clear that there have been failures in planning and in execution, failures that have been evident for most of the last year. Serious errors have been made -- and made, above all, by Donald Rumsfeld's Pentagon. The recent violence in Iraq has confirmed that the level of American military forces has been too low to accomplish the president's mission ever since the invasion phase of the war ended last April ...

"Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld famously talks about preparing for the 'unknown unknowns.' Yet the present crisis was hardly unforeseeable, and Rumsfeld did not ensure that the military was prepared to deal with it. He failed to put in place in Iraq a force big enough to handle the challenges at hand. That is a significant failure, and we do not yet know the price that will be paid for it.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Hey, can we get a few more Salon articles?

Comment

Trollfunctions,
      Why do you hate America?

John Damtoft
      Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 21 2004, 10:04 AM
        sure, can you dig up some more false tripe from Drudge?
        Are you on the list?

Comment

So Salon is the left's version of Drudge?

Works for me, freedom fighter!

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 21 2004, 10:08 AM
            So Salon is the left's version of Drudge?

Works for me, freedom fighter!
            not at all. Again, use lexis and fact check.
            Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 21 2004, 11:04 AM
              Reggie, it doesn't look like you have much of an argument here.

I love seeing this kind of stuff. Bush's own people are turning on him now.
              I imagine his reaction would be..."we have to stay the course". :rolleyes:
              *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Damnation. Do I have to respond thoroughly in every single thread? The administration DID fuck up a lot. I've never denied that. I was commenting on Trig's daily dosage of a dozen Salon articles. Shall we counter with NewsMaxx out the wazoo?

If you don't want to stay the course, vote for Kerry.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 21 2004, 10:18 AM
                  Damnation. Do I have to respond thoroughly in every single thread? The administration DID fuck up a lot. I've never denied that. I was commenting on Trig's daily dosage of a dozen Salon articles. Shall we counter with NewsMaxx out the wazoo?

I just can't figure why you would WANT to stay the course.

Again....fact check.

NewsMaxx can't stand up to it, Salon can.

If you don't like the truth, keep reading it.
                  Are you on the list?

Comment

Holy guano Batman, what a novel idea!

Moon

Comment

I just can't figure why you would WANT to stay the course.
                      See, that's the great thing about conservatism. It allows people to fuck up if they want to, because it's their choice to do so.

Comment

Holy guano Batman, what a novel idea!
                        Translation: Vote for Kerry and please shut the fucking fuck up.

Whenever you see me post "Vote for Kerry," that's what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland@Apr 21 2004, 10:21 AM
                          See, that's the great thing about conservatism. It allows people to fuck up if they want to, because it's their choice to do so.
                          That's true, even if it means 800 dead soldiers and 10,000 dead Iraqi civilians.

Conservativism - bastian of personal accountability.
                          2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Vote for Kerry.

Comment

Translation: Vote for Kerry and please shut the fucking fuck up.

Whenever you see me post "Vote for Kerry," that's what I mean.
                              Oh. Sorry. Thought that was some sincere political advice from a concerned fellow-citizen interested in making sure that his fellow posters not make some Palm Beach-esque fuck-up come election day.

Note to self: "Kerry=Frankenstein; Bush=monkey. Note differences in spelling of names when choosing. Discard note on 11/3. Moon"

Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X