Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the Iraqis don't want democracy

Folks,

I think our country is showing alot of foolish audacity, if we think we can attempt to impose our will on a civilization that has been fighting since day one.
    Make America Great For Once.

we're forcing it because it's the only way we can save face over this Iraqi mess.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Apr 21 2004, 08:01 AM
      we're forcing it because it's the only way we can save face over this Iraqi mess.
      We're going to continue to see more grieving faces of relatives and friends of our service people.

Comment

They simply don't know what is best for them. Kind of like children in that regard. If only the rest of the world was as enlighted as we, they would be more accepting of our forceful implementation of a political system on them.

The Soviets were likewise chagrined when encountering this problem in recalcitrant states during their tenure as co-superpower.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Apr 21 2004, 07:03 AM
          They simply don't know what is best for them. Kind of like children in that regard. If only the rest of the world was as enlighted as we, they would be more accepting of our forceful implementation of a political system on them.

The Soviets were likewise chagrined when encountering this problem in recalcitrant states during their tenure as co-superpower.

Moon

Actually it's quite the opposite. We don't know when to walk away, kind of like children. This is a fight we simply cannot win.

There isn't a prefect political system, and even the best ones don't work everywhere.
          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Hey, it may come as a shock, but not everyone wants to be like us.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Apr 21 2004, 07:08 AM
              And that's their choice. Call it ignorant if you choose, but it's equally ignorant thinking you can make people accept a form of government they just don't want.

Comment

We have a responsibility to try. We're going to go through the motions, set it up and leave it to the UN, and get the fuck back home.

Simple as that.

Comment

the problem is you are using the term 'iraqis' which is a misnomer
                  Are you on the list?

Comment

P.S.: I imagine the Iraqis would indeed like some form of democracy. They just don't happen to want it badly enough to actually DO anything about it.

Comment

Who are WE to think that we can change generations of cultural turmoil?

Comment

Kev, I doubt anyone except maybe George Bush seriously thinks we have a crack at doing this. But having removed their government, we kinda have to help them get a new one. We'll give them their chance, and it's up to them after that.

And so we'll go through the motions, knowing full well that Iraq will shortly revert to some sort of backward theocracy or dictatorship.

But you gotta start somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Apr 21 2004, 07:08 AM
                          True.

Some want to rid the world of all Jews.

This is a culture war, folks. This isn't just
                          about terrorism, it goes deeper than that.

By the way, does anyone really believe that
                          the people of Iraq could EVER govern themselves?

Uh-huh.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Apr 21 2004, 07:09 AM-->
                            QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Apr 21 2004, 07:09 AM)

Originally posted by The Kev@Apr 21 2004, 07:17 AM
                            Who are WE to think that we can change generations of cultural turmoil?
                            If it doesn't change...then what?

Comment

• Working...
                              X