(L)Cardinals (3-2) at Cubs (3-1) GDT, April 9 [7:05 CDT]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (L)Cardinals (3-2) at Cubs (3-1) GDT, April 9 [7:05 CDT]

Hey, it's midnight where I am, and I'm leaving in the morning. Woohoo!!!!

If Sidney Ponson feels any first-night jitters on Sunday, it's likely to be nothing compared to the butterflies in Sean Marshall's stomach.

Ponson, who has spent the vast majority of his big-league career as a member of the Baltimore Orioles, will be wearing a different bird on his jersey Sunday. The prime-time ESPN game against the Cubs will be his first regular-season game as a member of the Cardinals.

"They gave me a good second chance, and I have to get the most out of it," Ponson said.

The weather may not agree with him, since it will likely be cold and windy under the lights, but Ponson is just ready to pitch. He hasn't pitched in a regular-season game since Aug. 7 of last year.

"I'm going to be ready to pitch tomorrow, whatever it is, 1 o'clock or 7 o'clock," he said Saturday. "I don't know what to expect tomorrow, I don't know how cold it's going to be, nothing. I'll just go and get them."

As for Marshall, the 23-year-old left-hander has pitched exactly 54 innings above Class A. Sunday night's game will not only be his first big-league start, it will be his first regular-season start above the Double-A level.

And it will come against one of the league's more potent offenses, and the two-time defending National League Central Division champions. Good luck, kid. Just try to stay relaxed, eh?

Following Sunday night's game, the Cardinals will board a flight back to St. Louis for one of the biggest days for the franchise in a long time. Monday brings the opening game in new Busch Stadium.

Pitching matchup
    STL: RHP Sidney Ponson (7-11, 6.21 ERA in 2005)
    Ponson makes his Cardinals debut under the lights at Wrigley Field. He has an expressed preference for warmer conditions, so the weather may not be ideal for the Aruba native. Ponson will be at his best if he pitches to contact and tries to get ground balls, rather than looking to overpower hitters. He has never faced the Cubs or pitched at Wrigley Field.
    CHC: LHP Sean Marshall (Major League debut)
    It'll be quite a night for Marshall, a young lefty who was the spring surprise and will be making his Major League debut. He was 4-4 with a 2.74 ERA in 12 games with Class A Daytona and 0-1 with a 2.52 ERA in four starts at Double-A West Tenn last year. He's impressed the Cubs with his poise and his repertoire of pitches this spring. He did not allow a run in 10 1/3 innings in Arizona.

Player to watch
    Yadier Molina's overall offensive numbers in his first full season weren't that great, but when the opposing pitcher is a lefty, Molina becomes much more dangerous. Molina hit .309 against lefties in 2005, with a .339 on-base percentage and .409 slugging percentage.

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    Gameday
    Official game notes

On television
    • ESPN On radio
    • KTRS AM-550

Up next
    • Monday: Brewers (RHP Tomo Ohka, 0-0, 1.29 ERA) at Cardinals (LHP Mark Mulder, 0-0, 3.86 ERA), 3:10 p.m. CT (Cardinals home opener)
    • Wednesday: Brewers (RHP Dave Bush, 1-0, 1.29 ERA) at Cardinals (RHP Jason Marquis, 1-0, 3.38 ERA), 7:10 p.m. CT
    • Thursday: Brewers (LHP Doug Davis, 0-0, 4.91 ERA) at Cardinals (RHP Jeff Suppan, 0-1, 7.20 ERA), 12:10 p.m. CT
    Come on Redbirds... it's a double-A pitcher. I want to see balls flying out of the stadium!!!
    Last edited by Ohio Blues; 04-08-2006, 10:09 PM.
    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Last edited by Ohio Blues; 04-09-2006, 12:59 AM.
    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

"F" em up Ohio. I'm tired of losing to these fucks.

I'm down with a 4-2 road trip to start the season.
      --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
      --Suck it cubbies.
      --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

The Tunguska event was a natural explosion that occurred at 60°55′N 101°57′E, near the Podkamennaya (Stony) Tunguska River in what is now Evenkia, Siberia, at 7:17 AM on June 30, 1908.
        Though not conclusive, the leading explanation in scientific circles for the explosion is the airburst of an asteroid or comet 6 to 10 kilometers above the Earth's surface. The size of the blast was later estimated to be between 10 and 15 megatons. It felled an estimated 60 million trees over 2,150 square kilometers.
        In recent history, the Tunguska event stands out as one of the rare large-scale demonstrations that a full doomsday event is a real possibility for the human race.

Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Great news! It's on ESPN (pronounced ASPEN). I have something to do tomorrow.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Erik Johnson

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Cardinals 10, Cubs 3

Home Runs:
                  Cardinals - Bennett, Rolen

W: Ponson
                  L: Ohman

Was optimistic about a win or Friday and the Cubs shut them down. Today, I had bad feelings going up against Zambrano, even though Carp was pitching....we are going to have an offensive explosion tomorrow on National TV......
                  TP sponsor of Everton FC, Colorado Rapids, #5 Barrett Jackman, #2 Luke Schenn, #85 Greg Jennings, #25 Jim Thome, #19 Carl Gettis, #16 Greg Biffle, #31 Mark Hamilton, and the Wisconsin Badgers

Comment

Go Red Birds!!!
                    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

well Ponson. Go win this game. I'm still annoyed a little about yesterday.
                      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

I'm gonna miss this game....or most of it. It best be on the tv's at Savvis tonight though
                        Sponsor of:
                        Brian Elliott
                        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

I thought the Cubs were 3-2 as well?
                          You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty Nate
                            You thought wrong, bitch.

Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty Nate
                              They only had a 2 game series before us.

Comment

Working...
                              X