Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh Smith to enter NBA Draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1786541

Should be the first of a dozen or so high schoolers entering the draft too early.

Originally posted by Fishbone@Apr 20 2004, 06:35 PM
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1786541

Should be the first of a dozen or so high schoolers entering the draft too early.
    In related news:

Cavaliers Sign LeBron James to Contract
    LeBron James Hits $90M Jackpot
    "the 19-year-old James put the final touch on a remarkable season by becoming the rookie award's youngest recipient."

Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Apr 20 2004, 08:16 PM-->
      QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Apr 20 2004, 08:16 PM)

Everybody knew who LeBron James was before the draft last year. The only person this year who has anywhere near the publicity is Sebastian Telfair, but he is no lock to even be a first round pick this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Apr 20 2004, 07:27 PM
        Everybody knew who LeBron James was before the draft last year. The only person this year who has anywhere near the publicity is Sebastian Telfair, but he is no lock to even be a first round pick this year.
        Dwight Howard is by far the best of the high schoolers. He's the only one that should go to the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by tigernumbe+Apr 20 2004, 09:18 PM-->
          QUOTE (tigernumbe @ Apr 20 2004, 09:18 PM)

Originally posted by Fishbone+Apr 20 2004, 07:22 PM-->
          QUOTE (Fishbone @ Apr 20 2004, 07:22 PM)
          Originally posted by BringBackZe[email protected] 20 2004, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Apr 20 2004, 09:31 PM-->
          QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Apr 20 2004, 09:31 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2004, 07:22 PM
          Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2004, 08:16 PM

McGrady and Kobe and Garnett really weren't ready for the NBA either. Not their first year. Look at all of their first years and then compare LeBron's. Night and day.

Guys like Eddy Curry and Brown and Tyson Chandler still aren't ready. They were, what, three of the top 6 picks?

Doug Collins said something the other day that I thought actually made a lot of sense. Right now, all first round picks get a 3-year guaranteed contract. It decreases from the top pick down, but all get 3 years. The second round doesn't get any guarantee.

What Collins suggested was having the top 10 picks get a 3-year guarantee, the next 10 get a 2-year guarantee and the bottom 10 of the first round get a 1-year guarantee.

Of course, that could hurt the teams more than the players since a team picking 21st could lose a player with good potential after one year, particularly if he doesn't play much. Maybe they could do it in a way that MLB does where the team still holds the rights to the player. If they don't want him, don't offer arbitration, that kinda thing.

Comment

If a high school guy is told he'll be a lottery pick, he should come out. The only one who has shown no signs of being any good is DeSagana Diop. All the rest have, at the very least, flashed tons of potential. D-Miles finally showed something this year. Kwame Brown improved a lot this year. Jon Bender is actually a good player. Even Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler played very well last season (although both slipped back some this season).

Sure, there are guys like Korleone Young who are terrible, but the scouts didn't expect them to be good or they would've been drafted higher. The scouts have only occassionally missed on the highly touted high school guys.

The only guys who were ready to be forces in the NBA straight out of high school were Amare Stoudemire and LeBron James.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Apr 21 2004, 08:45 AM
              Even Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler played very well last season (although both slipped back some this season).

The only guys who were ready to be forces in the NBA straight out of high school were Amare Stoudemire and LeBron James.
              How about old school Moses, and new school KG.

I agree with most of your assessment, Dev. But guys like Chandler and Curry (each of whom did more than just slip back some this year) took a dramatic leap backwards in progress, especially Curry. Chandler's injury-plagued season, it can be argued, was the reason for his demise. Although, prior to, he showed only glimpses of his promise of a year earlier. Curry, on the other hand, has shown himself to not only be immature socially and professionally, but unwilling to improve his game or cease upon his opportunity here in Chicago.

Entering the draft out of high school is indeed a risk. And after watching him play, both in person several times and on television, I'm convinced Melo could have forgone his stint at the 'Cuse and entered after graduating high school and been successful. And (taking nothing away from 'Bron) I also believe he was a bit more deserving of the ROY.
              "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

I'm selfish in that I love the college game and think it could be more beneficial for players to be stars in college for three years than to sit on the end of an NBA bench for three years.

I wonder if Darius Miles, Jon Bender, J. O'Neil, or some of the guys that struggled off the bat wish they would have gone to college and won a championship first.

I also wonder if players develop (basketball skills) better by sitting on the bench but practicing with pros for a few years OR going to college and becoming stars of their respective teams for a few years. I don't know the answer. I think the answer to this question should tell us what these kids should do.

Comment

• Working...
                  X