Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOP folk need thicker skin?

Criticizing the state's GOP is a good way to get shouted down

Let me say something nice about the Republicans in Jefferson City. They are trying. Very trying, if you know what I mean. Still, you have to applaud effort.

Like in the current debate about Medicaid. No one can dispute that Medicaid costs are out of control. So the House Republicans deserve credit for trying to do something. And the sad fact is if you're going to rein in costs, you're almost certainly going to have to knock some people off the rolls. Let's knock off the folks who can afford private insurance, said the Republicans. That sounded good.

But where should that line be drawn? How about a single mother with two children who makes $155 a week? Under a proposal passed by the Missouri House, that mother would not be eligible for Medicaid.

That seems unrealistic to me. To most other folks, too. In fact, the state Senate, which is also controlled by Republicans, has shown no inclination to go along with the House version of the Medicaid bill.

Well, fine. No harm, no foul, you might say. But during the debate, one of our editorial writers, John Carlton, noted that many of the Republicans who voted to severely restrict the eligibility for Medicaid were helping themselves and their dependents to taxpayer-funded insurance. How interesting. Who would have thought that when the Republicans talked about family values, they were talking about valuing only their families? So, Carlton wrote an editorial, and it enraged the Republicans. Of course, it did. Nobody likes to be accused of being snout-deep in the public trough at a time when poor children are losing their health insurance. And why should part-time employees like the legislators get such terrific benefits when the state is broke?

It was, I thought, a terrific editorial, and people across the state seemed to think so, too. In fact, the Kansas City Star decided to publish it. That's very unusual.

Immediately thereafter, the House Republicans voted to take away a sales tax exemption that newspapers have long enjoyed - but the exemption would be rescinded only for the two newspapers that published the editorial. Hmm.

The rest
    Dude. Can. Fly.

duh
    Are you on the list?

Comment

Liberal propaganda at it's worst. :P

Comment

SHUT UP!

Did anyone hear anything?

Comment

Why should newspapers get a sales tax exemption?
          Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Apr 20 2004, 04:29 PM
            Why should newspapers get a sales tax exemption?
            You meant to say

"Why should newspapers that don't directly criticize repbulican lawmakers get a sales tax exemption?"
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Apr 20 2004, 04:33 PM-->
              QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Apr 20 2004, 04:33 PM)

Originally posted by BurnKU+Apr 20 2004, 04:40 PM-->
              QUOTE (BurnKU @ Apr 20 2004, 04:40 PM)
              Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2004, 04:33 PM
              Working...
              X