• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool article. Thanks.

Comment

Where's the Big Unit's slider?

(And yes, I realize that sounds funny.)

Comment

When I was a kid, we played alot of whiffle ball, and this other kid's retarded older brother threw the meanest curve...unhittable...
        . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
        -mike
        mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

I thought of the Big Unit's slider also.

How about Simontacchi's belt-high fastball?

I suspected they would rank Rivera's cutter #1. I don't know if it is anymore. It sure was in the late 90's.

Few things have ever frustrated me more than watching guys hit against him in the playoffs back then. They KNOW what's coming. They absolutely KNOW a cutter is on the way. And they just can not hit it. He was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolStroker@Apr 20 2004, 12:22 PM
            When I was a kid, we played alot of whiffle ball, and this other kid's retarded older brother threw the meanest curve...unhittable...
            Yeah, wiffle was awesome.

A friend of mine used to throw a wicked pitch that would come right at your head, then break a few feet in front and hit the inside. What made it worse, was that sometimes he'd make it so it wouldn't break and you'd get konked.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo+Apr 20 2004, 12:25 PM-->
              QUOTE (Dr.Gonzo @ Apr 20 2004, 12:25 PM)

It also baffled me that managers would pinch hit lefties for righties to face Rivera in the playoffs. They are almost better off having a righty in there to face the cutter. I'd rather have them slap it to right than have a lefty get jammed and break his bat, if he is lucky enough to make contact.
              Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo+Apr 20 2004, 01:25 PM-->
                QUOTE (Dr.Gonzo @ Apr 20 2004, 01:25 PM)

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Apr 20 2004, 12:26 PM-->
                QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Apr 20 2004, 12:26 PM)
                Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by kconn@Apr 20 2004, 12:23 PM
                How about Simontacchi's belt-high fastball?

"Out" pitch means a pitch which gets the hitters "out." It doesn't mean the pitch that gets the pitcher taken "out" of the game.

Wagner's fastball is amazing. Really, all of these guys are good. I watched Zito float that curve in for strikes again and again Sunday night--you would think people would hammer it--they can't.
                I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever@Apr 20 2004, 12:27 PM
                  Wood got number two, that's not bad. When he locates it he is unhittable.
                  that's the rub. Wood might have the worst control in the majors.....but also might have the best pitches.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                  MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                  The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo+Apr 20 2004, 01:27 PM-->
                    QUOTE (Dr.Gonzo @ Apr 20 2004, 01:27 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo+Apr 20 2004, 12:27 PM-->
                    QUOTE (Dr.Gonzo @ Apr 20 2004, 12:27 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Apr 20 2004, 12:27 PM
                    It also baffled me that managers would pinch hit lefties for righties to face Rivera in the playoffs. They are almost better off having a righty in there to face the cutter. I'd rather have them slap it to right than have a lefty get jammed and break his bat, if he is lucky enough to make contact.
                    I thought the same thing... let the righty hack...

On whiffle ball... you guys ever play using a lawn chair as the strike zone? I used to love when we'd do that, because I could throw a curve that would break just over the top of a guy's head, and still drop into the chair. Boy that pissed 'em off.

Comment

• Working...
                      X