• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob McKenzie on Quenneville's canning

http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

McKenzie: Change for change sake

TSN.ca Staff

2/24/2004

There's not a lot to read between the lines in the firing of Joel Quenneville. It was done for the oldest reason in the book -- desperation. Panic, call it what you want. The Blues, with a hefty payroll, are desperate to make the playoffs and going into Tuesday night's NHL action, St. Louis was on the outside looking in, ninth in the Western Conference. It's as simple as that.

It's not like the second longest serving NHL coach was unpopular with his players or that he had lost the room. And it's not like his replacement, Mike Kitchen, represents a significant change in direction, though Kitchen, long thought to be a prototypical assistant coach, will be a new voice. And as an aside, wouldn't Al MacInnis make a good assistant to take Kitchen's spot?

But at the end of the day, the Blues have 21 games to make hay, to get into the playoffs.

It was, quite simply, change for change sake, a desperate attempt to jump start a team that should be closer in the standings to the contenders than the pretenders.

It's tough to forecast if the move will pay with playoff dividends, but this you can take to the bank: Joel Quenneville won't be out of work too long.

For TSN.ca, I'm Bob McKenzie

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Bill Clement follows up...

The Blues' dismissal of Joel Quenneville is a perfect example of change for the sake of change. I'm shocked that he's been fired. I think Quenneville is a victim of firing as a marketing tool. The Coyotes' dismissal of Bob Francis earlier Tuesday is in the same category.

For most NHL teams, their fan base and the live gate are the major sources of revenue. Quenneville's dismissal is an attempt by the Blues to shock the players into short-term performance to make the playoffs -- which is where the big revenue is.

This I can tell you: I expect Quenneville to set a record for the shortest time in the unemployment line. He's an excellent coach, tactically and philosophically. He faced challenges this season, including less-than-stellar goaltending and injuries to key players.

A logical place for Quenneville to end up is anyplace where an NHL coach is needed. It could be a team that has yet to fire its coach this year: perhaps Washington or Florida? Or how about the New York Rangers? Quenneville will be a good fit wherever he goes. I truly believe that he's one of the best coaches in the game.

Comment

"Luke, I am your father. Turn to the dark side of the force you knob."
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Feb 24 2004, 11:40 PM
        "Luke, I am your father. Turn to the dark side of the force you knob."

Comment

I loved that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Feb 24 2004, 11:42 PM
            I loved that movie.
            The one where they go to hell was kinda lame, but the first one was totally excellent.

Comment

Trivia - what was their dog's name in the first movie?

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Feb 24 2004, 11:44 PM
                Trivia - what was their dog's name in the first movie?
                BARF!

Comment

Hosehead.

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Feb 24 2004, 11:46 PM-->
                    QUOTE(007 @ Feb 24 2004, 11:46 PM)
                  Working...
                  X