No announcement yet.

Dream Job Coming back to ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately this network now fancies itself as much an entertainment vehicle (ala MTV) as a sports network.

For my money it started spiraling out of control years ago when the anchors started displaying the need for individual dynamism and witty repartee. Now everything from the commercials (which ARE usually amusing), to the weekly dramas, to this game show (Dream Job) reeks of corporate diversification, and less straight sports talk and programming.
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove@Apr 20 2004, 09:47 AM
      Unfortunately this network now fancies itself as much an entertainment vehicle (ala MTV) as a sports network.

For my money it started spiraling out of control years ago when the anchors started displaying the need for individual dynamism and witty repartee. Now everything from the commercials (which ARE usually amusing), to the weekly dramas, to this game show (Dream Job) reeks of corporate diversification, and less straight sports talk and programming.
      Bingo! Well stated.

I watch ESPN News for my sports highlights. You still get some of the schtick, but not nearly as much as Sportscenter.
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

they still have PLENTY of sports, though. college football, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, tennis. and plenty of sports shows like sportscenter, NBA Fastbreak, NFL Primetime, Baseball Tonight, NHL 2Nite.

try to find a music video on MTV nowadays, or anything music related for that matter.
        Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

I love ESPN. I love how they're branched out into new shows. I liked Beg, Borrow and Deal and Dream Job. Playmakers was so-so, but the thing I really like is that Sportscenter is pretty much on no matter what.

Comment

I forgot about Baseball Tonight. I love that show. Kruk looks like he's eaten a small child.
            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove@Apr 20 2004, 09:47 AM

Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

Infotainment has been the goal since inception.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

BBZ,

I've always known what the "E" in ESPN stood for, but, personally speaking, it's out of control. This was never the case in the 70's, 80's, and majority of the 90's. Now, it's like watching a network whose niche is, well, everything. Seemingly nothing is off-limits.
                "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Apr 20 2004, 09:53 AM
                  Kruk looks like he's eaten a small child.
                  who is struggling mightily to get out; take a look at the buttons on his sports coat. They're screaming!!!

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove@Apr 20 2004, 10:05 AM
                    BBZ,

I've always known what the "E" in ESPN stood for, but, personally speaking, it's out of control. This was never the case in the 70's, 80's, and majority of the 90's. Now, it's like watching a network whose niche is, well, everything. Seemingly nothing is off-limits.
                    I agree that it's boring as hell...but they only put on what people watch.

Don't blame them for getting people to watch. Blame the mindless hoards of viewers.
                    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I think ESPN has slowly gone downhill.
                      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Apr 20 2004, 10:08 AM
                        I think ESPN has slowly gone downhill.
                        I think it's been rather quick. It's only since Keith Olberman left that the network has really pushed catch phrases and gimmicks. (although some would argue that it was Olberman who started the schtick)

Comment

i don't have any problem with ESPN. there are games on both channels every night, along with sports shows. what's the problem?
                          Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Apr 20 2004, 10:12 AM-->
                            QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Apr 20 2004, 10:12 AM)

Originally posted by slow groove+Apr 20 2004, 10:31 AM-->
                            QUOTE (slow groove @ Apr 20 2004, 10:31 AM)
                            Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2004, 10:12 AM
                            Working...
                            X