X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Canseco to attempt comeback with the Dodgers

Link.

Associated Press
    VERO BEACH, Fla. -- Jose Canseco plans to try out for the Los Angeles Dodgers, 2½ years after his last appearance in the major leagues.

The six-time All-Star will attend the Dodgers' open tryout on March 1.

"Canseco's people called us," Matt Slater, the Dodgers' director of professional scouting, said Tuesday. "He's welcome to come."

Canseco last played in the majors in 2001, when he hit .258 with 16 homers for the Chicago White Sox.

He and Mark McGwire teamed in Oakland as the "Bash Brothers," leading the team to three straight World Series appearances from 1988-90, including the 1989 title. Canseco won the 1988 AL MVP award and has 462 homers, 26th on the career list.

Canseco admitted in 2002 that he used steroids during his career. He served jail time for violating terms of his probation for a 2001 fight at a Miami Beach, Fla., nightclub. His rap sheet includes domestic violence and aggravated battery charges.

Canseco would be lost in the National League.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

With the new roid testing policy, Jose wouldnt be tested.

They dont test bonds or sosa or the people that are suspected of taking it.

Why? they protect stars and images.

They never test anyone that tehy think takes it. Thats why Bonds and Sosa pop off and claim they will "test everyday". They know MLB wont call their bluffs.

Bo Hart might get tested, though.
      Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

I hope he makes it for no other reason than to watch him try to play OF. And to see if they have a helmet big enough to fit that melon of his.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Yeah, when was the last time this guy played a position...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Surely he'd be a pinch-hitter type, if he makes it. And as bad as the Dodger offense is, maybe he will.

Comment

Stop calling me Shirley.
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I was at a softball tournament with his brother, the man was freaking unreal.
                Hit BOMBS and ran like a freaking deer, effortless.
                What a stud.
                Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Conseco is an outright hypocrite.

First he blasts MLB powers-that-be for his personal failings, screams racism from the highest rooftop against him and players of color, threatens to introduce a tell-all autobiography and "name names" of those involved in illegal doings in the game, and now wants to earn a paycheck from the very organization he's spent the past 1 1/2 basically promising to expose as a fraud.

Hmmm, sounds about par for the course.

Sad turn of events for what was once the game's best player.
                  "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove@Feb 25 2004, 12:29 PM
                    threatens to introduce a tell-all autobiography and "name names" of those involved in illegal doings in the game
                    What ever came of that? Did the book come out and who did he name?

I wanted to read it to see about big mac, and others. I forgot about the book and never heard anything about it.

Comment

should I rank him for my fantasy draft?

Oh wait, he's ugly so he can't be part of The Metros.

Thing one: A player must be good looking or named Albert Pujols to be on The Metros fantasy team.
                      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow+Feb 25 2004, 10:31 AM-->
                        QUOTE(JackSparrow @ Feb 25 2004, 10:31 AM)

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Feb 25 2004, 12:31 PM
                        What ever came of that? Did the book come out and who did he name?

Still has yet to see the light of day, Sparrow. And given his incredible track record, you have to wonder whether it was all hot air, anyway.
                        "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl@Feb 25 2004, 12:33 PM
                          Thing one: A player must be good looking or named Albert Pujols to be on The Metros fantasy team.
                          Shallow pig.

Comment

I am not a pig, "asscake".

:P
                            Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Working...
                            X