Kerry on Meet the Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry on Meet the Press

I saw the last 40 minutes of it. I watched it with an open mind, but I didn't get much substance from Kerry. He's much more articulate that GWB, and he's great at pointing out problems. But I just don't see real solutions. Pointing out problems in't a good enough reason to vote for a guy in my opinion -- unless you really, really dislike the other guy.

A few items (my commentary in italics:

- He says he'd get the U.N. involved in Iraq -- who says they are willing and what would the cost to us be?

- He says our Cuba policy is bad. He wouldn't lift the embargos though. When pressed on what he'd do differently, he said he'd have discussions about what to do. So basically he has no ideas?

- He's promising to "create" 10 million jobs. Russert asks him if he won't run for reelection if wrong about that. Kerry says well it depends on circumstances. There could be a war or something he said. So, he's saying that external events can affect the economy? Who would have thought? And it's a joke that he's promising that many jobs.

- He said on several issues that Bush has absolutely no plan. Sounds familiar

Edit: correct mispelling
    "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

I read the beginning of the transcript. He seemed like he did good to me. Depends on where you are sitting, I guess.

They are replaying it tonight on CNBC I believe it is at 9 CT.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by phantom@Apr 19 2004, 10:01 AM
      I saw the last 40 minutes of it. I watched it with an open mind, but I didn't get much substance from Kerry. He's much more articulate that GWB, and he's great at pointing out problems. But I just don't see real solutions. Pointing out problems in't a good enough reason to vote for a guy in my opinion -- unless you really, really dislike the other guy.

A few items (my commentary in italics:

- He says he'd get the U.N. involved in Iraq -- who says they are willing and what would the cost to us be?

- He says our Cuba policy is bad. He wouldn't lift the embargos though. When pressed on what he'd do differently, he said he'd have discussions about what to do. So basically he has no ideas?

- He's promising to "create" 10 million jobs. Russert asks him if he won't run for reelection if wrong about that. Kerry says well it depends on circumstances. There could be a war or something he said. So, he's saying that external events can affect the economy? Who would have though? And it's a joke that he's promising that many jobs.

- He said on several issues that Bush has absolutely no plan. Sounds familiar
      I agree with you on his artculation. He looked much more like a leader than the caricature which we always see on TV.

That being said, I only caught a part of the interview...and in that part he seemed very bull-headed. He only answered the questions the way he wanted to.

That being said, it's not much different than Bush, excpet sometimes Bush cant' help himself from answering question he has no business doing, and coming off looking like an idiot.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I thought Kerry did a great job of explaining why he now disagrees with almost everything he has ever said in the past. On the positive side, unlike our president, he at least can explain himself.
        "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
        --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Apr 19 2004, 10:11 AM
          That being said, it's not much different than Bush, excpet sometimes Bush cant' help himself from answering question he has no business doing, and coming off looking like an idiot.
          Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

I caught a little bit of it. I don't think he helped or hurt himself. I agree about him not really coming across as a person with a lot of plans. He seems to want a lot of results that people like, but he doesn't say how he's going to do it. He is definately better than Bush in that kind of forum, but I think people who were being objective and trying to learn what Kerry is about, probably didn't learn much.

The positive thing from him in my opinion was his promise to only spend for the things he can afford. I'm not sure I'd agree with him on what we can afford means, but I think a lot of people probably liked hearing that.
            Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Apr 19 2004, 10:29 AM
              I caught a little bit of it. I don't think he helped or hurt himself. I agree about him not really coming across as a person with a lot of plans. He seems to want a lot of results that people like, but he doesn't say how he's going to do it. He is definately better than Bush in that kind of forum, but I think people who were being objective and trying to learn what Kerry is about, probably didn't learn much.

The positive thing from him in my opinion was his promise to only spend for the things he can afford. I'm not sure I'd agree with him on what we can afford means, but I think a lot of people probably liked hearing that.
              I have an honest question that's not meant to be derogatory or insulting towards Bush.

Does Bush expect to honestly have a debate with Kerry? It seems to me that he'd be best served dodging debates because from what I've seen out of both candidates, he'd be in trouble.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Apr 19 2004, 10:36 AM-->
                QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Apr 19 2004, 10:36 AM)

Does Bush expect to honestly have a debate with Kerry? It seems to me that he'd be best served dodging debates because from what I've seen out of both candidates, he'd be in trouble.
                Same thing was said in 2000, and GW came out fine.

Expectations are so low for him that as long as he doesn't drool, he won't do much damage. Kerry, on the other hand, will demonstrate repeatedly to a national audience that everything said about him thus far is true....I honestly think he has more to lose than Bush does.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Apr 19 2004, 10:36 AM-->
                  QUOTE (BringBackZezel @ Apr 19 2004, 10:36 AM)

Not sure about the debate question. Everyone thought Bush would get killed by Gore in the debates, but Gore came out looking like schmuck. Kerry might do the same....he is smug, and has never taken a stand on anything. He makes a lot of hollow statements about how the Bush Admin has failed, but has yet to say what he would do.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                  -Barry Goldwater

Comment

When's Bush going to make his re-election proposals public?

All I ever see is attack ads on how Kerry is wrong for this country, but never why Bush is right for this country.

Comment

I've said all along I think Kerry was making a mistake by spending so much time bashing Bush instead of selling himself. He's let Bush paint a picture of Kerry being a tax raising liberal who voted not to support the troops, to raise gas taxes, and to increase the eligibility age for SS. I'm sure in a debate Kerry is going to have to be on the defensive since Bush will just reiterate these points. Bush has been on the defensive for 2 years. Nothing new to him and I think all the negativity has taked all Bush's numbers away from it is going to take.
                      Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card@Apr 19 2004, 10:49 AM
                        When's Bush going to make his re-election proposals public?

All I ever see is attack ads on how Kerry is wrong for this country, but never why Bush is right for this country.
                        "Steady leadership in times of change" ... whatever that means.
                        Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

When is Kerry going to make his wife's tax return public?

Comment

• Working...
                            X