McDonald's CEO Dies of Heart Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonald's CEO Dies of Heart Attack

CHICAGO (Reuters) - McDonald's Corp. (NYSE:MCD - news) Chairman and Chief Executive Jim Cantalupo, who helped turned the company around with a focus on better food and service, died on Monday of an apparent heart attack, the company said.

Cantalupo, 60, died in Orlando, Florida, where he was attending a McDonald's meeting for its restaurant owners and operators.

The world's largest restaurant chain could not immediately say who was taking over Cantalupo's responsibilities.

"We're focusing on Mr. Cantalupo and his family," McDonald's spokeswoman Anna Rozenich, said.

The news sent the stock of the Oak Brook, Illinois, company down 3 percent in premarket trading, and was seen pulling the Dow Jones industrial average lower at the start of trading.

Cantalupo, a former vice chairman and president of the company, was brought back to lead McDonald's in January 2003, when the company was struggling to cope with falling profit in a saturated hamburger market, outbreaks of mad cow disease and poor service.

In little over a year, he had helped turn the company around with a focus on improving operations and menu offerings. New items like entree-sized salads and all-white-meat chicken nuggets helped McDonald's post the highest sales gain in 30 years at U.S. restaurants open more than a year in February.

"The worries are that perhaps there may not be a strong No. 2, since he was known as the one with the strong vision,"

said Art Hogan, chief market analyst for investment adviser Jefferies & Co. "In the short term, when you have a turnaround focused on one person, there will be a short-term disappointment" in the stock.

McDonald's shares fell to $26.60 on the INET electronic brokerage in premarket trade from their close of $27.46 on Friday on the New York Stock Exchange (news - web sites).

Since the beginning of 2004, McDonald's shares are up 10.6 percent, the second best performer in the Dow Jones industrial average. In March 2003, the shares had fallen to a 10-year low of $12.45.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

He did a great job for them.

Sad news.
    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Its the Real McCoy.
      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

mmmmmmmmmmmmm griddle cakes
        Are you on the list?

Comment

Terrible news...But I still wan't my choice of whether or not to order SUPER SIZE.

It's no longer available after Decmber, to buy super size, but I can't get pizza buy the slice...? :rolleyes:

So I guess I have to eat the whole pizza....

BTW, (5'10" 185) I'm not a fat ass.

Comment

I think Wayne Hagin is a strong candidate to take over.

First task: Vanilla fries!
            Official sponsor of the baseball gods and other missalaneous stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by justwundrin@Apr 19 2004, 07:57 AM
              I think Wayne Hagin is a strong candidate to take over.

First task: Vanilla fries!

Don't forget a Vanilla Coke.

Comment

eating too much product..
                The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

head of fast food chain dies of heart attack. ironical, ain't it?

griddle cakes are awesome.
                  Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Working...
                  X