X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernie: Asks Sauer and Pleau the tough questions

Enjoy.

Post subject: Kitchen Contract & other Blues stuff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It runs through 2005-2006.

Unbelievable.

I asked Sauer and Pleau: why give an unproven coach a long-term deal when you have no idea how he'll do as the head man? Why not wait -- at minimum -- until the end of this season to see how he does in what will be a challenging but workable trial run? If Kitchen doesn't distinguish himself, the Blues could have searched for a proven or at least more established head coach.

Both danced around the question.

Sauer: "It’s a hypothetical question so I’d rather not answer that. I think our actions speak for themselves. We think that’s the best way to handle a very strongly qualified head coach is to show confidence in him. And that’s what we did."

I asked Pleau if his job should be on the line.

Pleau: "I always feel my job should be on the line. I accept that. That’s the way it should be. (Management) should be looking at me. That’s what it’s all about. But I also have a responsibility to do my job."

I asked Sauer if Pleau's job was on the line.

Sauer:
    “No. But all jobs are on the line. Coaches and players, their thread may be a little shorter at times, but all of our jobs are on the line. We understand that.”

I asked Sauer, why does Quenneville take the hit when Q and Pleau have both had at least seven years to advance this team. Isn't Pleau a failure as well?

Sauer: "We take a long-term look at performance. Joel was here for parts of eight seasons. Larry is judged on various sets of criteria as a general manager. And Joel as a head coach was judged on others. So as connected as they may have appeared, there’s still separate jobs and separate criteria."

(Translation: a double standard).

I have to write a column now. Just wanted to share this with you.

Cheers,
    Bernie

Mark Sauer = Pittsbugh Pirates ran into the ground.. Has ties with Cards during the AB days.. Nuff said. I'm sorry the man came out of the U of I... :(
    Official Lounge Co-Sponsor of Matty Mo.

"Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom. But I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control, and it didn't have any inherent wisdom.." --- Joe Strummer

\'user \'user

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Feb 24 2004, 08:12 PM
      Enjoy.

Post subject: Kitchen Contract & other Blues stuff 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It runs through 2005-2006.

Unbelievable.

I asked Sauer and Pleau: why give an unproven coach a long-term deal when you have no idea how he'll do as the head man? Why not wait -- at minimum -- until the end of this season to see how he does in what will be a challenging but workable trial run? If Kitchen doesn't distinguish himself, the Blues could have searched for a proven or at least more established head coach.

Both danced around the question.

Sauer: "It’s a hypothetical question so I’d rather not answer that. I think our actions speak for themselves. We think that’s the best way to handle a very strongly qualified head coach is to show confidence in him. And that’s what we did."

I asked Pleau if his job should be on the line.

Pleau: "I always feel my job should be on the line. I accept that. That’s the way it should be. (Management) should be looking at me. That’s what it’s all about. But I also have a responsibility to do my job."

I asked Sauer if Pleau's job was on the line.

Sauer:
      “No. But all jobs are on the line. Coaches and players, their thread may be a little shorter at times, but all of our jobs are on the line. We understand that.”

I asked Sauer, why does Quenneville take the hit when Q and Pleau have both had at least seven years to advance this team. Isn't Pleau a failure as well?

Sauer: "We take a long-term look at performance. Joel was here for parts of eight seasons. Larry is judged on various sets of criteria as a general manager. And Joel as a head coach was judged on others. So as connected as they may have appeared, there’s still separate jobs and separate criteria."

(Translation: a double standard).

I have to write a column now. Just wanted to share this with you.

Cheers,
      Bernie
      :rolleyes:

It's no wonder why I no longer follow the Blues.
      Jimmy Buffett quote of the week:

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

- Jimmy Buffett, Take it Back, Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads Box Set

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

Comment

Sauer and Pleau must go!

Get somebody in here with some passion.

Why did they give Kitchen a multi-year deal?

Here's what I would like to see:

Mark Messier, head coach.
        Bob Gainey, GM and president.
        LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Originally posted by DC Santana@Feb 24 2004, 08:39 PM
          Sauer and Pleau must go!

Get somebody in here with some passion.

Why did they give Kitchen a multi-year deal?

Here's what I would like to see:

Mark Messier, head coach.
          Bob Gainey, GM and president.
          I like Gainey as GM.. Good tough hockey man.. Could also take over as coach if needed.

HC Messier would be a tough SOB, but how about Bernie? Joe Michaletti? (SP?)

"Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom. But I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control, and it didn't have any inherent wisdom.." --- Joe Strummer

\'user \'user

Comment

This is as bad as it was before the carpetbagger Ornest came to town.
            And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 24 2004, 08:54 PM
              Ahhhh JD, but out of those ashes a Phoenix arose... Ron Caron... Peace..

\'user \'user

Comment

asked Sauer, why does Quenneville take the hit when Q and Pleau have both had at least seven years to advance this team. Isn't Pleau a failure as well?

What sets of fucking criteria do they judge him against?! How good a rim job he gives 'em?

Keep lickin', Larry. Things are looking great! :rolleyes:

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Ornest had his faults, but he stepped forward to buy the team after Ralston Purina dumped the franchise on the league like a bag of unwanted dogfood.
                  LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

I wonder who Quenneville pissed off.
                    Jimmy Buffett quote of the week:

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

- Jimmy Buffett, Take it Back, Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads Box Set

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

Comment

Wait a second: this guy got a long-term deal? For what?

This is hridiculous...interim my ass....

HEAD'S SHOULD ROLL!!!!!

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Bob Gainey would be a great GM...too bad he was just hired by Montreal. And I think he's going to turn the Canadiens into a solid organization again.

Comment

Originally posted by 007@Feb 24 2004, 09:32 PM

HEAD'S SHOULD ROLL!!!!!
                          Knowing Sauer, they got him cheap.. Haven't heard figures yet.. What do you expect from Sauer though? When they hired him we were doomed.. Totally agree tho heads should roll over a multi year deal for what should be an interm.. I sincerely hopes he surprises us, but doubt it..

\'user \'user

Comment

Originally posted by 007@Feb 24 2004, 09:32 PM

HEAD'S SHOULD ROLL!!!!!
                            No cup in 36 years and we couldn't wait a couple of months to decide on the new permanent replacement for Q.

Good Grief!
                            Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

By the way...

(And I'm not necessarily defending Harry)...

But you'd be cheering (or would have been cheering, before they went bankrupt and folded) about the Saskatoon Blues...if it weren't for Dirty Harry.

You gonna dispute that JD? That we'd have lost the team had it not been for Harry Ornest?
                              " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Working...
                              X