Kurt Warner - A hot commodity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurt Warner - A hot commodity?

For what it's worth, should he actually be released, I strongly suspect Warner would become a very hot commodity -- recent struggles notwithstanding.

Kurt Warner, QB, St. Louis Rams: Make no mistake about: It's looking more and more like Kurt Warner will be a post-June 1 salary-cap casualty with each passing day.

According to those familiar with the numbers, by waiting until after June 1 to cut Warner, the Rams would recoup $4.75 million in cap room for 2004 but would be forced to carry $6.723 million in "dead money" on their 2005 cap.

Releasing Warner before June 1, or trading him at any point, would mean an additional cap hit of nearly $2 million above Warner's current charge of $9.467 million.

Of course, the addition of Chris Chandler and Marc Bulger's free-agent status further muddy the waters.

As SI.com's Don Banks framed it: "Are you asking us to believe that either Chandler or Kurt Warner are OK with the idea of serving as the potential No. 3 passer? Or is Marc Bulger headed back to emergency QB status, from whence he came?"

Warner's fate will ultimately depend greatly on whether Bulger receives an offer by the April 16 deadline for restricted free agents -- and on whether team officials believe they can eventually sign Bulger to a long-term deal.

As team president John Shaw explained: "If he doesn't get an offer sheet, then we'll probably sit down and see what his expectations are for a multi-year [contract]. I think that signing him to a long-term deal obviously at some point would be a priority to us.

"But if that's something that's not in the cards, we know we have quarterbacks who can play well."

Of course, this situation would gain considerable clarity if the Rams draft a quarterback next weekend. And if you listen carefully to head coach Mike Martz that would appear to be a distinct possibility.

Asked about this year's crop of incoming quarterbacks, Martz recently said: "I think from the beginning to the end, I think you're liable to get a real talented guy. It's a draft that's deep in quarterbacks. I don't think I've ever seen it that deep. I've looked at 10 quarterbacks that I'd like to have."

For what it's worth, should he actually be released, I strongly suspect Warner would become a very hot commodity -- recent struggles notwithstanding.

He'll be a hot commodity...if he doesn't ask for the moon and is willing to EARN a starting job rather than just have it handed to him. Some earlier offseason quotes in the aftermath of the Houston incident made it seem like he thinks (or thought) he shouldn't have to compete with Bulger for the Rams job in 2004, if he's still around.

Comment

Dev ... we've talked about this before and I think he's toast in St. Louis. I don't think the Chandler signing bode well for him. I know many people said Chandler was a backup in case Bulger was signed, but that deadline has come and gone. Bulger is still here.

When Warner is released I think they'll be at least four teams willing to sign him. You're right, I don't think he'll get a massive contract, but I do believe he'll be able to fight for the starter's position.

Comment

If he's willing to fight for the starter's position, there will be teams interested. But if he just wants a job handed to him, no one will sign him.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Comment

Warner will be cut on June 1...bet the farm on this.

Once cut...he will have several suitors but the money won't be near what he was getting here.
          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB@Apr 17 2004, 01:44 PM
            Warner will be cut on June 1...bet the farm on this.

Once cut...he will have several suitors but the money won't be near what he was getting here.
            in the spirit of the Sports Guy, Vegas needs to take bets on things like "Will Warner be cut after June 1?"
            Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Originally posted by bigJOE+Apr 17 2004, 02:06 PM-->
              QUOTE (bigJOE @ Apr 17 2004, 02:06 PM)

Assuming he is cut...who are the teams that would likely show interest??

My take..

Pittsburgh
              Arizona
              Oakland

BTW..the Chandler signing conviced me that Warner will be gone..why else do it..and saying it was a hedge against Bulger is a cop-out

Comment

The only places I can see Warner having a chance to compete for the starting job are San Diego and San Francisco. And even that is contingent on the Chargers trading down in the draft and Warner willing to just be a stop-gap until Phillip Rivers is ready to start, or willing to take virtually nothing to compete with Rattay. And I'm not even sure the 49ers are an option because they seem to love Dorsey.

Every other team either has a firmly entrenched starter, a young quarterback they are grooming for the next year, or two guys already competing for the job.

Dennis Green loves Josh McCown. The only way Warner goes there is if he's willing to be a backup.

The Steelers are hoping to draft Roethlisberger or Rivers with an eye toward starting them in 2005. They're better off just sticking with Maddox for one year than going out and getting someone else.

Oakland still has Rich Gannon, just one season removed from being the league's MVP. And Warner, the devoutly faithful Christian, playing for the renegade Raiders just seems wrong to me.

Parcells won't take him unless he is sure that his wife won't cause distractions. There is no way Parcells will keep his mouth shut if Brenda opens hers.

The Giants, I guess, could be an option if they're unable to trade up for Eli.

Comment

You think Kurt is better than Collins?

I don't.
                  And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

The Chicago Bears will be very interested in Kurt Warner on June 2nd.
                    Rex Grossman is still a HUGE question mark, IMO. Warner would also be "reuinited" with Lovie. Not that they had a huge history together, but many of the memories are special.
                    *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

I don't either--I think Warner is the worst possible starting quarterback in the league right now--but the Giants are looking to dump Collins in the near future. They may even waive him on June 1 if they get the QB they want in the draft.

I wonder if they'll draft Roethlisberger at 4 if they can't move up for Eli.

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab@Apr 18 2004, 09:20 PM
                        The Chicago Bears will be very interested in Kurt Warner on June 2nd.
                        Rex Grossman is still a HUGE question mark, IMO. Warner would also be "reuinited" with Lovie. Not that they had a huge history together, but many of the memories are special.
                        Grossman is a question mark just like all first-year starters are but they drafted Grossman in the first round, so they think he's the guy to lead the team in the future. Lovie may like Warner but the GM isn't going to admit he was wrong about Grossman before Rex has even had a chance to be the starter.

If Grossman sucks in 2004, then they'll be in the market for a starter for 2005.

Comment

Dhaab-

Grossman a HUGE ?? WTF?? Warner is a much bigger ?? b/c of his health and the like.

Frankly, if there is one QB I would like to see for the Rams..it's Grossman..

Bears are 100% committed to Grossman..especially after how well he did when he became the starting QB last season..after they realised Stewart is a washed up hack.

And..no way they move up and pick the Miami guy...I think they believe Grossman is the man..until proven otherwise..

Comment

Grossman has a swagger about him and should do well. I think he's going to do better than Carson Palmer this year, who I am not convinced is ready to take the reins of that offense. Palmer has a solid supporting cast, so he should do relatively well. It would have been smarter to start Kitna one more year, but I'll trust that Lewis knows what he is doing. If Thomas Jones provides any semblance of a running game, I think Grossman will have a solid year.

Comment

• Working...
                              X