Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soccer surpassing baseball in US - Fortune

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #2
    When I was a kid, soccer was the sport the guys who couldn't play football played.

    It's obviously become much more popular.

    I lived and died for baseball as a kid. We played some form of baseball, indian ball, whiffleball, hot box, derivatives we made up ourselves and actual baseball every day of the summer and played catch all the time.

    I hardly ever see kids in my neighborhood playing with a baseball. They ALL play frelling soccer.
    Go Cards ...12 in 13.


    Comment


    • #3
      I played soccer when I was in elementry school, baseball till I was 18, and football from middle school on. Around our neighborhood we always played football, if we lost the ball we'd play with a suburban journal.
      Official Sponsor of Steven Jackson
      ---------------------------
      North County born and raised.
      ----------------------------
      Go Navy!
      ----------------------------
      http://www.freewebs.com/big_dawg160/
      (Nude pics!) Actually my CD, DVD, Book collection.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by big_dawg160@Apr 17 2004, 02:12 PM
        I played soccer when I was in elementry school, baseball till I was 18, and football from middle school on. Around our neighborhood we always played football, if we lost the ball we'd play with a suburban journal.
        We didn't even need a ball to play football.

        We played a game called 'Tackle on the Grass'.
        Go Cards ...12 in 13.


        Comment


        • #5
          Funny story, we played Hide and Seek quite a bit with about ten kids from the neighborhood. One day when we were about 14, this guy Danny came walking down the street. Cool ass dude. Were right in the middle of a game, kind of embarassed that were playing hide and seek at the age of 14. He looked at us and asked if were playing NIGHT TAG. From that day forward we never played hide and seek again, only NIGHT TAG........with a Suburban Journal.
          Official Sponsor of Steven Jackson
          ---------------------------
          North County born and raised.
          ----------------------------
          Go Navy!
          ----------------------------
          http://www.freewebs.com/big_dawg160/
          (Nude pics!) Actually my CD, DVD, Book collection.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by big_dawg160@Apr 17 2004, 02:26 PM
            Funny story, we played Hide and Seek quite a bit with about ten kids from the neighborhood. One day when we were about 14, this guy Danny came walking down the street. Cool ass dude. Were right in the middle of a game, kind of embarassed that were playing hide and seek at the age of 14. He looked at us and asked if were playing NIGHT TAG. From that day forward we never played hide and seek again, only NIGHT TAG........with a Suburban Journal.


            We re-named that game too.

            To 'Find One...Find Em All'

            Fun game...especially since we were getting real interested in girls by that time. I certainly didn't mind hiding in the dark with the cute girl down the street.
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TTB+Apr 17 2004, 01:40 PM-->
              QUOTE (TTB @ Apr 17 2004, 01:40 PM)

            • #8
              I'm not surprised more people play soccer than baseball. Keep in mind that baseball is a much more difficult game, and it's for boys, whereas both sexes play soccer. So the numbers should be higher for soccer.

              But, baseball won't have to worry about this fan leaving for that sorry "sport." Isn't there a saying about a sport not being worthwhile if it doesn't end in "ball?"

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by L1011@Apr 17 2004, 05:08 PM
                I'm not surprised more people play soccer than baseball. Keep in mind that baseball is a much more difficult game, and it's for boys, whereas both sexes play soccer. So the numbers should be higher for soccer.

                But, baseball won't have to worry about this fan leaving for that sorry "sport." Isn't there a saying about a sport not being worthwhile if it doesn't end in "ball?"
                Well, that would leave out hockey.

                I just find soccer boring.
                Go Cards ...12 in 13.


                Comment


                • #10
                  baseball is only for boys? whoops.


                  i played soccer in middle school cause it was either that or tennis. i would have played it in HS, but that's a whole other story of regret.

                  ps, i always found soccer much more difficult than baseball.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    We used to play baseball more than soccer.

                    We even used to challenge the next neighborhood over to play us in some games. I was one of the younger ones on our team and the manager boy used to tell me to lean in and get hit. I would get very pissed that he didnt' believe in my abilities so I would tell him to frell off. The one time we were down by 2 runs, I completely refused to get hit so I went up and struck out.



                    We lost that game.
                    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by MsFunkay@Apr 17 2004, 05:12 PM

                      ps, i always found soccer much more difficult than baseball.
                      Actually, for what little soccer I did play...I thought baseball was easier too, at least until pitchers starting throwing curves. I found it easier to hit and catch a ball that dribble it. Kicking wasn't so tough but controlling the ball without looking was not easy at all.
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.


                      Comment


                      • #13
                        cg, i've never heard someone so proud to lose a game for their team, but i have to admit way to go!!!

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          I just KNEW I was going to be able to get on base. And really, to this day, I would rather try to get the hit than go up trying to get hit.

                          I like to PLAY the game.

                          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

                          Comment

                          • Working...
                            X