Trapped in the Body of A White Girl - Music thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trapped in the Body of A White Girl - Music thread

Since we are having the battle of the bands I thought about two things. White artist that sound black - and Blind artists that may be given more credit because of their disability.

On the first - Here is my list in order.

Pheobe Snow - Once won an award from a Black magazine as favorite Black female singer for that year - when she informed that she was white they said oh well keep it anyway.

Teena Marie - Lady T- brought some serious funk.

Diane Schuur - Two time grammy award winner very smooth - and I thought she was from just listening to her music. A good friend of mine always said she was just a white girl that was trying to sound black - and that was her hook which leads me to

Elvis - Much discussion here about the King who - I believe was a period racist (racist because much of the people around him during that time were racist). First the dancing - come on know - nothing at all original about stealing moves from the hood and putting them on stage. Like the movie dirty dancing - no credit at all given to the juke joints they stole those moves from. Second the sound - pretty much Memphis Blues to me - which had to be from - juke joints - which they were. Where Elvis succeeded at becoming a legend was by embracing these things - but homogenizing them just enough for the parents to let their kids listen to - when they may not have let them listen to this music from black entertainers. Just my opinion - oh he had huge talent. It wasn't just lets do the black thing - because others had tried it with various degrees of failure and success - Pat Boone to name one tight ass. But the Black thing was very much a driving force.

Eminem - I don't think Em - is a Vanilla Ice - Who was a straight rip off of Black culture. Em - appears to be someone who embraces his whiteness and doesn't try to be ashamed of it. Slim Shady - seems to be just gigging with the Mike and a feel dominated by Blacks. Em doesn't court the Black appearance or gangsta style too much.

N-Sync - Sucks - Beatles meet motown.
    Backstreet Boys - Sucks Beatles meet motown. The white mothers and fathers loved that homogenized stuff.

On the subject of blind musicians getting more credit becasue of their blindness - I don't think so. Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Diane Schuur - seem to me to be as an elite group as you can have. I would groove to their music - and whether they are blind or not is not important to me - and I don't think anyone else.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Jose Feliciano.

Only a blind singer would have gotten air time on his version of Light my Fire.
    Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by hkyfan@Apr 17 2004, 09:07 AM
      Jose Feliciano.

OOOOOHHHH, I don't know, I like his version.

I found a version on Napster a few years ago with him and Carlos Santana that's pretty sweet.
      LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Originally posted by DC Santana+Apr 17 2004, 09:16 AM-->
        QUOTE (DC Santana @ Apr 17 2004, 09:16 AM)

Originally posted by hkyfan@Apr 17 2004, 10:07 AM
        Jose Feliciano.

I like his version of Feliz Navidad.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala+Apr 17 2004, 09:33 AM-->
          QUOTE (Schwahalala @ Apr 17 2004, 09:33 AM)

Blues fans are heck to live with the week after a playoff loss.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

• Working...
            X