Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry tries to woo college vote

Kerry tries to woo college vote

Yeah, cause college kids today.. We LOOOOVE Bon Jovi!! WTF!?

I've never understood this whole "need more young people to vote" thing.

I mean.. I realize that my tuition will continually get higher and higher b/c my peers are too fucking lazy to put down their PS2 controller and drive a couple miles to vote a couple times a year...

But really.. Like Bill Maher said.. It's estimated about a third of people 18-24 vote.. And that's about right.. The rest really shouldn't be voting, b/c they don't know didly squat..

When I first turned 18, I voted on every issue on the ballot even though on some of them I was just guessing.. I've gotten to the point where I realize I could be voting for someone I'm strongly against.. If you're not going to be educated on the issues and the candidates, just don't vote at all..

Then again if America had that mentality.. We wouldn't have had Bush in the office in the first place.

"
    Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Comment

I used to think we need to mobilize more young people to vote, but now I'm somewhat on the other side of the fence, for the simple reason that I REALLY do my homework every time I step into the box.

And if you're a dumbass somehow brought to the poll, you're diluting my vote.

So yeah, if you can't get your lazy ass off the sofa for long enough to register -- not too hard, get down to vote -- not too hard -- then you probably don't need people to spend money to turn you out.

that said, I'd like to see online voting. i'm workin as a poll worker this election -- me and a bunch of grannies. should be interesting.
      The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

I worked the polling place during Clintons last election. "Honey would you help me up, I have to take a pill, or I have to have my Maylox". Old people, you gotta love 'em.
        I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

I think more people voting is good, it's scary that less than half the people vote, what does that say about who we end up with in office?
          Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Did anyone check some of the results in last weeks local elections? Some of the results were, like, Jones: 23; Smith: 13. Or, Peterson: 113; Baker: 88.

Not exactly indicative of an impressive turnout.
            Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

I've never understood this whole "need more young people to vote" thing.
              You won't ever hear conservatives saying that. You think it's an accident MTV runs a vote spot every six minutes?

Comment

OK, heres my 2 cents....

What if we make it MANDATORY to vote?

No vote? No drivers license or welfare check or unemployment check or Medicare?

Comment

The Democrats are going downhill quickly..

Kerry woos...

Clinton boffs..I mean..plays nasty with the bits..

Where have you gone William Jefferson..

Comment

I'd actually prefer that those who are living off the government don't get a vote.

Those who pay the bills should have more say in the direction of the nation.
                    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Apr 17 2004, 11:29 AM
                      I'd actually prefer that those who are living off the government don't get a vote.

That's utterly ridiculous.

So I should just take the fact that the government is paying for half the amount of a state education that they did 30 years ago? I should just bend over and have no say in that whatsoever?

"
                      Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Apr 17 2004, 11:29 AM

Jd,

You are worrying me here.. You're sounding a little facist... Point taken and can understand the frustration cause you work hard and see politicians like hogs at the trough, spending our hard earned tax dollars like drunken sailors... but.. Denying ones individual expression of liberty? You are better than that.. Peace.

The Tailor..
                        Official Lounge Co-Sponsor of Matty Mo.

"Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom. But I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control, and it didn't have any inherent wisdom.." --- Joe Strummer

\'user \'user

Comment

Working...
                        X