The Larry Pleau era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Larry Pleau era

Folks, if any of you had this kind of performance at your jobs, would you still have a job?

HELL NO!

A trip down memory lane.

In September Hull rejects Blues contract offer as insulting. It becomes obvious that ther will be no agreement on a new contract

The Blues have 4 impending free agents but keep the team together in hopes of making a run at the Cup. Good move to keep MacInnis and Courtnall. Duchesne and Hull were apparently not in the long term plans and they are allowed to walk for nothing in return.

I believe it was probably in everyone's best interests, including Hull, for him to move on, but couldn't they have leveraged this into some young talent or draft choices in return?

The Blues have a decent season and reach the second round where they are elininated in a hard fought series with the Stars. The end comes for Fuhr and the Blues have no successor (Jim Carey?). The Blues pick up Turek in the summer for a 3rd round draft pick.

2000 and 2001
    The Blues payroll goes from $35 million to $60 million almost overnight. The first domino is Pronger. He had been making $2 million per season (and underpaid at that) and now all of a sudden he's making $9 million. Could they have signed him to a more reasonable contract? The repercussions of this decision will be felt this summer.

The Blues add Tkachuk at the trade deadline in 2001 and Weight in the summer. Thats another $18 million in salaries. But they sacrificed what little young talent the Blues have developed, primarily to Phoenix.

The Blues enter the season with $40 million in payroll tied up in 4 players and no established goaltender. The results are predictable.

The Blues seemed to have the best offensive depth they've had recently with a nice addition in Rucinsky. However he and Stillman walk in free agency. Osgood is brought in as the best solution they could come up with in goal.

No offensive firepower and no depth in the forward lines. No scoring to compliment the $9 million center who finishes with 13 goals. Tkachuk, Weight, and Demitra are not the players they were 3 years ago. Very limited talent and aging front line players. The result against San Jose is not surprising.

Well there you have it, 7 years, no strength in goal, few offensive prospects, and $35 million in payroll tied up in 4 players.
    LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Pleau must Geau
    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Well said DC.. Let's not forget....

Mark Sauer... and also

Hullie wanted a No Trade Clause to stay.. Pleau said it was against the team's policy to give a no trade clause.. Yet they turn around and give Grant Fuhr a no trade clause.. Nothing against Grant here at all.. Pleau Bleaus... Sauer = Sour... Hypocrites... Liars.. Spin Mongers...

Me thinks JD and ITF members have our priorities wrong on banners. It should be Pleau must Go. Sauer sucks.. Save our Blues!
      Official Lounge Co-Sponsor of Matty Mo.

"Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom. But I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control, and it didn't have any inherent wisdom.." --- Joe Strummer

\'user \'user

Comment

Like a broken record....

Seven years and no accountability for upper management, but if you work in the marketing, promotions or accounting: you're accountable in the Blues organization..hell, vendors are accountable, too....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

The KCP brought in Keenan to get Hull under control.

The quote machine and the local media won the PR war, but the KCP should have let Keenan trade Hull for Gonchar and Konowalchuk - and then fired him.
          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Working...
          X